Quantcast

Are Keen sandals really worth $90?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I need a new pair of sandals. The Tevas I got last year are wearing out, stinky, and hurt my feet after a long enough period of time.

Everyone says Keen is so amazing, but damn are they expensive! Are they worth it? Do you have a pair?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
they arent all that, they lasted about the same as my different pairs from REI, big 5 and payless shoe source.

I am in the water all the time though.

there is a airwalk sandal at payless that is 19 bucks and it has been the longest lasting for guide trips and whatnot. I have run merrels, chaco's, tevas, keens, and even some 200 dollar water sandals that I threw away at the airport in haiti before even getting in the kayak.

its all about the comfort!!!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wait until something pops up on sale from steepandcheap.com

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I bought a pair of Keen shoes for my rafting trip and I couldn't be happier. They are some of the most comfortable I've ever worn and they worked great for hiking.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Keens are my favorite shoes in general, but 90 seems like a lot for a sandal.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I bought some sketcher keen knock offs for ~35-40 online. Work fine for the short time that I have had them. Always been a teva/birkenstock guy myself.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I love mine - last year all the bikers at the races were talking about how great they are so I picked up a pair. They are perfect for after a ride or race - but I would be just as happy with some crocks or something. 90 bucks is alot for fancy flops.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Chacos, seriously

I used to to think so. I still love my Chacos, but Keen's have more support. We had to portage Big Falls on the Payette last year, did it two different days, and the Keen support carry gear was incomparable. Forget $90, REI has them on sale for $54 twice a year.

gg

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Just get some flip lops from WalMart.

Or maybe not.
What happened? Allergic reaction?

I have the Airwalks from Payless. They look EXACTLY like the Keens and cost about $20. I love em. I have had them for 2 years and they look brand new. Ive had many people ask me how I like my Keens.... I tell them they are from Payless. :) I got mine for 1/2 price when they were having a sale.

Payless $24

Keens $90

Last edited:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I used to to think so. I still love my Chacos, but Keen's have more support. We had to portage Big Falls on the Payette last year, did it two different days, and the Keen support carry gear was incomparable. Forget $90, REI has them on sale for $54 twice a year.

gg
I guess I don't need a lot of support, plus the chacos look alot better than the Keens. Check out some Mions, coolest looking shoes out there. www.mionfootwear.com

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
coolest shoes out there?

our opinions on this, like most things, differ wildly.

this :

kicks all kinds of ass over this:

The Converse are classics, but I'm not a fan. All I wear are Chacos, Sperrys, Cole Haan, Johnston & Murphy, and New Balance, and I work out in Mizunos.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I guess I don't need a lot of support, plus the chacos look alot better than the Keens. Check out some Mions, coolest looking shoes out there. www.mionfootwear.com
It comes down to what you are doing. We do a lot of of whitewater in the summer and I thought chacos were the shiznit. I've seen way too much velcro failure over the years, or Teva-type sandals getting sucked off due to hydraulics.

But once you start tripping around on shore carry big, heavy gear ( ie, raft portage) the chacos would slip around my feet and they just didn't give the support needed for that particular activity.

Portaging a paddle raft and gear over this kind of terrain needs something a little more than chacos.

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Chacos, seriously
The Keen stuff looks like it would be really good but I haven't tried them yet. I really like my Chacos. The foot bed/arch support is the best I have found. They are over 6 years old and still going strong.

Last edited:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I bought my wife a pair of keen sandals on SAC for $50 shipped last week. Keep an eye out, they come up often.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
yes they are!! I have a variety of shoes from them and have always loved them.

but.. I just bought a pair of MION and they are even more comfortable