Quantcast

are shermans good for anything???

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
I have an 2 old sherman breakout forks. one is the 7 inch travel with spv and the other is the 6inch travel with the tpc. they both suck! is there any i can due to them like change or upgrade the internals to make them worth keeping? thanks for any advise

I have an 2 old sherman breakout forks. they both suck! is there any i can due to them
Sorry dude, completely a waste of time and $$$ to upgrade.
But hey, its almost 08 and lots of 07's and older can be had cheep.

I have 2 buddies who tried everything with those forks and at the end of day i felt so bad b\c at DH speed they are dangerous when they don't work.
I ended up giving the guy an old Boxxer out of pity.

Good luck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i think we may have ourselves thread of the year... or at least what remains.

here's a thought for your shermans... go dumpster dive a bike. install the fork, but first remove the internals and leave the top caps off. fill the stanchions with gasoline, get a light, and go for a one of a kind night ride.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
btw i have ridden and owned 2 different spv forks as well as 3 spv rear shocks. are they a little harsh at the beginning of the stroke yes but they to pedal amazingly well. also if you set it up right the harshness at the beginning of the stroke almost disappears but most people were not willing to go through the setup process. also i have had a seal blowout or had any of the items leak oil. the seal and oil leaking is normally due to people not cleaning their forks after they get them all muddy or not putting seals back in right when rebuilding the fork (the latter happens alot). also for all those people who have never ridden or owned a SPV fork you might not want to be posting.

also in reference to the gold label you can use the one bad characteristic of spv to make it a better fork. the initial stiffness can be used to help bunny hopping and just about any nose move.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
If you have a Slider with a long steerer tube, I'm interested. Sell it reaaaaal cheap before the innernet forum elves find out you own one and e-nail you on the e-cross. I have an 02 Boxxer to trade for your Slider too and for your salvation.

Starvin

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Roads & Islands
i have a SPV on my '05 Session77. It hasnt had problems yet. I am the second owner too...

if it aint broke, dont fix it. but when it goes, i'm getting a 66!!!

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I have an 2 old sherman breakout forks. one is the 7 inch travel with spv and the other is the 6inch travel with the tpc. they both suck! is there any i can due to them like change or upgrade the internals to make them worth keeping? thanks for any advise
Combine the left side internals of the 7" version with the TPC right side and try which lowers give you the smoothest feeling.
Use a suspension grease like Prep-M and a high viscosity oil for lubrication.
Crooked lowers and misaligned bushings were responsible for the sticky feeling of most past-'03 Shermans. That second thing can be fixed by a good mechanic with the right tools.

If it works, you get a nice fork with a good damping system.

I used a 7" TPC+ Sherman Slider for dh-racing. It wasn't smooth like a Fox 40 or my new Boxxer but it worked better than my old Marzocchi Z1 or a '03 Boxxer.
Now it's my spare fork, just in case my Boxxer breaks. :biggrin:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i have a SPV on my '05 Session77. It hasnt had problems yet. I am the second owner too...

if it aint broke, dont fix it. but when it goes, i'm getting a 66!!!
good choice, Only problem is, how do you know if its broken or not, when they come factory broken? Just kidding, honestly though, I have seen some really poor quality control coming from Manitou, some work great for years, some are terible right off the floor, and it seems its a crapp shoot as to what you get, All I know is I have never, NEVER had trouble with any of my Zokes