Quantcast

Are the new Funky Marins that bad?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is there any reason you can get the stupid suspension new enduro Marins for crazy prices outside of them being bad? I see multiple 60% discounts on them and I'm kinda tempted.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Have you seen one?

Have no time on one personally, so take this for what it's worth, but the consensus is that they work ok but don't really deliver on the revolutionary performance promises, and that they are overly complicated, heavy, and flexy.

Also, have you seen one? :D

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've ridden both of their wonky bikes. depends how cheap. i wouldn't touch the wolf ridge, as the rear is super flexy, and will inevitably eat shocks (on top of all the other foibles). the mount vision is actually a decently fun & solid ride. and pedals really well for an active suspension platform. but it's heavy, has lots of moving bits, and the low hanging frame tends to bash into solid objects on a regular basis. did i mention it's fugly? you WILL have to be ok with enduring the derision of your peers. so yeah. it'd have to be pretty cheap to justify, imo.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i've ridden both of their wonky bikes. depends how cheap. i wouldn't touch the wolf ridge, as the rear is super flexy, and will inevitably eat shocks (on top of all the other foibles). the mount vision is actually a decently fun & solid ride. and pedals really well for an active suspension platform. but it's heavy, has lots of moving bits, and the low hanging frame tends to bash into solid objects on a regular basis. did i mention it's fugly? you WILL have to be ok with enduring the derision of your peers. so yeah. it'd have to be pretty cheap to justify, imo.
Mount vision. They are super cheap. 3000 Euro for the one that had 7600 MSRP

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i wouldn't be surprised if they blow these out & discontinue that platform. it does work, but not worth the trade offs, imo. the new carbon rift zone looks solid, tho. they should really continue to focus on the price point builds.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The ones that use the weird linkage (same as Polygon) are flexy as anything. The other models are pretty legit bikes though.

Dec 19, 2019
i actually have really liked my MV9 frame. currently running it mullet and its kind of ridiculous that the only thing i ever adjust now is the dropper post.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i wouldn't be surprised if they blow these out & discontinue that platform. it does work, but not worth the trade offs, imo. the new carbon rift zone looks solid, tho. they should really continue to focus on the price point builds.

it amazes me that it took this long for them to deliver a simple, well thought out bike that can undercut the competitors. It's always gimmicks and weird designs for these "smaller" brands, but delivering a standard 4 bar with stiff stays and the pivots in the right places delivers 90% of the performance of anything on the market.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
it amazes me that it took this long for them to deliver a simple, well thought out bike that can undercut the competitors. It's always gimmicks and weird designs for these "smaller" brands, but delivering a standard 4 bar with stiff stays and the pivots in the right places delivers 90% of the performance of anything on the market.
while I fully agree, when a brand eventually finds their way down that path, and realize their bikes are great, the prices tend to go up.

Exhibit A:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
while I fully agree, when a brand eventually finds their way down that path, and realize their bikes are great, the prices tend to go up.

Exhibit A:
Norco have absolutely killed it with their 2020 Optics and Sights. Geo better than nearly every major mainstream company and half the small "cutting-edge" players. Simple, no fuss design that just works, solid spec (aside from SRAM I-hope-they-stop-me brakes).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Optic is on my shortlist for possible future trailbike, I do need to check if it's got ISCG tabs as I still like running a bash.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Optic is on my shortlist for possible future trailbike, I do need to check if it's got ISCG tabs as I still like running a bash.
Yep full ISCG. If I was buying a bike at the moment, the Optic or Sight or both would be high up on that list.