Quantcast

Are there any good 26" trail bikes left?

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Transition has my interest with their new 26" called the Suppressor. The geometry looks awesome. Super tall people take note, the XL has a 19" reach. Boomshakalakah.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Relatively cheap too, now that they're direct sales.
Not in Australia, the importer here seems to set crazy Retail prices and they seem to get stuck with lots of old stock. I was looking at getting a Meta Cr-Mo frame from the US because the local distro wouldn't bring them in, sadly $300 postage on a cheap frame made it a bit dear.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i think kona kept a 26" bike in their process line up (kudos to them)

im also really diggin my 2014 fuel ex. most say its not enough travel, but im used to riding a hard tail, so 130mm in the rear (gigidy) is more than enough for me. :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just received an email for the 2015 Commencal gear, love the description for the Meta SX-

"Yay, "26 for ever!” We still believe in it. Cause it’s so fun, responsive, playful, and easy to handle. It’s no surprise if this wheel format is still so ridden. And that it was the reference format for many years. So the META SX with its 65° slack head angle is always ready to go big anywhere and anytime.
Regarding of the cockpit, we chose a small 50mm stem and a wide bar. You can’t imagine how good this bike is in downhill… a true gem! To speak the truth, we even like to ride Bike Parks with it.
You got it, the META SX remains our little protégé. No doubt about it.
It's gonna be caliente !

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
cause the shit is wack, and it means Turner, a company that used to make cool stuff, is concentrating on wackness for the mtbr taped-glasses crew.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I guess. I love my DHR, but I do agree they don't make anything else I want.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so many middle fingers at that Turner. worst Turner ever!
I blame all the a-holes that claim they are faster on their fatbike. Makes me want to punch them in the mouth after riding my fatbike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cause the shit is wack, and it means Turner, a company that used to make cool stuff, is concentrating on wackness for the mtbr taped-glasses crew.
did turner ever not make anything for the mtbr homers? aside from the DHR, everything they have made has been a little awkward especially after they started making big wheelers (18.2" stays?) Dentists love bikes too

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
the rfx had the potential to be a good trailbike. then they killed it. i had many friends happy with the 5.5 or whatever it was too. but all that's water under teh bridge.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm not saying they never made good bikes. Just that they were never a banshee or transition or other "niche" brand that caters to mtbros.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not saying they never made good bikes. Just that they were never a banshee or transition or other "niche" brand that caters to mtbros.
Are you kidding, that's exactly what Turner is and has been. That 18.5" or whatever sultan was obviously "old school" 29er geometry, when all the manufacturers were too lazy to design the front derailleur in there without jacking the chainstays to ridiculous lengths. That's a pretty old model now, I suggest you look at the Czar, which has also been around a few years now, and has much more modern (normal) geometry.

Lets not forget how Banshee started, making 18lb Scream frames that still managed to break at the chainstay due to faulty engineering. Despite this, like turner, they eventually turned a solid lineup, but they are all niche makers. Turner made the RFX, a niche bike because not everyone was making a freeride type bike or something with 6" of travel that could take a front derailleur. The later 6pack and RFX generations remained a niche, for people that wanted a capable bike that could still be ridden uphill. Eventually (on the last generation) the geometry got closer to what we know today, but the bike was discontinued years ago, so you can't really compare.

I'm not sure what you are saying about Banshee or Transition, other than the fact that maybe they make niche bikes that you like, but that doesn't mean Turner wasn't a niche brand for other people.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Turner made a 4x proto too?

I thought the DHR had been dropped or was out of production, but it's on their site still... maybe it's a "park bike" now like the Intense FRO lol.

Always been a big fan of Turner, though I've never owned one. I guess all the brands gotta chase that "add another one to your quiver" hype that MTBR and other sites promote. My "trail bike" is 9 years old, so I'm clearly not doing the industry any favors.

I'm a little worried that it's already November, and I haven't found $8K to add a Freeride-park-duro-snow-fatty to "the stable."

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA

Of course there are still 26" bikes.
I have a buddy that cant wait to get a full suspension fat bike. He has a Salsa Bucksaw on preorder but is thinking about selling it as soon as it arrives so he can get the Turner.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have a buddy that cant wait to get a full suspension fat bike. He has a Salsa Bucksaw on preorder but is thinking about selling it as soon as it arrives so he can get the Turner.
but can you make it an ebike?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Transition has my interest with their new 26" called the Suppressor. The geometry looks awesome. Super tall people take note, the XL has a 19" reach. Boomshakalakah.
Bingo.

For the money, this is the best thing going for the folks who are sticking with 26" (non-carbon of course)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005

Lets not forget how Banshee started, making 18lb Scream frames that still managed to break at the chainstay due to faulty engineering. Despite this, like turner, they eventually turned a solid lineup, but they are all niche makers. Turner made the RFX, a niche bike because not everyone was making a freeride type bike or something with 6" of travel that could take a front derailleur. The later 6pack and RFX generations remained a niche, for people that wanted a capable bike that could still be ridden uphill. Eventually (on the last generation) the geometry got closer to what we know today, but the bike was discontinued years ago, so you can't really compare.
I dont get all the banshee love..those people must not have been around in the early 2000's...I still cant forgive them for those screams..hideous

That and the xl rune I sat on fit about the same as my medium except with too long a seat tube..

flame away

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I dont get all the banshee love..those people must not have been around in the early 2000's...I still cant forgive them for those screams..hideous

That and the xl rune I sat on fit about the same as my medium except with too long a seat tube..

flame away
The rune feels a lot smaller than the Spitfire. The Legend even smaller than the rune, so kinda seems the higher the travel the more cramped the Banshees get.

The Spitfire truly is the most fun bike I have ever owned, really love it to bits

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wait until he buys the Turner, then tell him about the carbon bucksaw.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Totally different company now from what I gather. Now the leaving people high and dry after all the bushings failed and rear triangles wore out on the first generation Runes, Spitfires etc. is another story altogether...