Quantcast

Are there any Oregon teachers on this board?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
If you're an Oregon teacher or in school to become one could you give me some advice.

I'd like to teach Science/Math/Economics at the High School level. I'll be going to school to get a Masters in Teaching specific to that area of study. So, I'm wondering which Oregon school(s) are regarded as the "best" to gain a teaching degree from. I have heard the job market for teachers in Oregon is extremely hard to get into. Is that true? Ideally I'd like to be within driving distance to Portland. Also, are there substitute teaching jobs available that I could work while in school? Thanks.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I know UofO has the 2 year masters of teaching degree through the education school. I've heard it's the best in the state, but not close to portland if that is a big concern.

If you're not from the area, eugene is about 2.5 hours from portland.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah UofO is a good school from what I've heard. I do want to be near Portland because I have some friends that live there and thats probably where my GF will get a job. How's WWU or Portland State?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ncrider said:
Yeah UofO is a good school from what I've heard. I do want to be near Portland because I have some friends that live there and thats probably where my GF will get a job. How's WWU or Portland State?
I don't know much about WWU. When I was considering grad school for teaching, I couldn't afford to go out of state. PSU from what I've heard also has a solid program, but I don't know nearly as much about it as UofO because I was an undergrad at UofO when I was reasearching schools and pretty much had decided if I did it I would do it there.

I know several people that went to PSU for either teaching or related fields though and all seemed to enjoy it.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Don't overlook Lewis & Clark. Their Masters in Teaching is a hard 1 year program. My wife is currently in it and it seems that I rarely see her anymore but she loves the program and finds it to be extremely challenging.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
One thing to consider is that teachers don't make much money at first, and private school tuition is expensive.

My wife teaches up here in WA, but she did go to George Fox for her BA and M.A.T. After 13 years she makes in the mid 40's. Her education cost her over 100k. My BA cost me 25k. It is a matter of economics really, if you have scholarships or parents who can help pay private school is great. If you paying (loans, as you go, what ever) I would look more at the state schools.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
My brother teaches in Oregon, but went to New Orleans to get his teaching certificate. From what I understand it is a royal PITA to get one in Oregon. His wife was going to go the same route, until recent events that is. They had a thing where if you teached at an underpriveleged school they would hook you up.

I have a friend who is a teacher in WA and she is part of the same type of program. I forget the name of it though.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Tenchiro said:
My brother teaches in Oregon, but went to New Orleans to get his teaching certificate. From what I understand it is a royal PITA to get one in Oregon. His wife was going to go the same route, until recent events that is. They had a thing where if you teached at an underpriveleged school they would hook you up.

I have a friend who is a teacher in WA and she is part of the same type of program. I forget the name of it though.
Yeah I've hears about that program. In SoCal we have a similar program that will get you a teaching position and up to 15K tution reimbursement after 4 years.

Private colleges are out of the question. I've got to pay for this on my own.

As for the poor pay of teachers. Well it's a trade off. You'll never make much, but (to me anyway) you are rewarded with a fullfilling career and plenty of time off to go riding, have vacations and run a seasonal business. Not a bad lifestyle and it's perfect for me.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
ncrider said:
As for the poor pay of teachers. Well it's a trade off. You'll never make much, but (to me anyway) you are rewarded with a fullfilling career and plenty of time off to go riding, have vacations and run a seasonal business. Not a bad lifestyle and it's perfect for me.
I can tell you my wife loves it and wouldn't trade her job anything. Money isn't everything, but it does buy stuff, which is cool.