Quantcast

Are these MAN EATERS too spikey?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So I'm making some snow tires for riding at a ski resort on a snowboard course. It will be a little bit of snow and a lot of hard pack east coast type ice/snow stuff.

I was in the middle of making the tires when I was thinking... Wait, these things will grips MEGA good, but will they slow me down? I have already used 72 screws total (and I am almost halfway done with one wheel.

As you can see I have made them alternate, 2 on the sides, 2 down the middle.

I am not worried about the weight, but am worried about too much grip (meaning I can't pedal).

The tires are walmart specials (as I couldn't see paying $50 and putting screws in them). I used 1 1/4" screws. This is for the front wheel. The rear wheel I will be using smaller screws (clearance issues).

What do you guys think? Too many spikes? Too spikey?

Thanks guys. Here's the pics:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Use shorter screws. Like a lot shorter. You only want about 1/4" of screw sticking out for good grip. The way you have them they will almost definitely hit your frame and fork.

I'm almost ready. I got my wet screams all mounted up! Just need to clean the bike and lube my chain

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Use shorter screws. Like a lot shorter. You only want about 1/4" of screw sticking out for good grip. The way you have them they will almost definitely hit your frame and fork.

I'm almost ready. I got my wet screams all mounted up! Just need to clean the bike and lube my chain
They clear my fork. Ughh, I don't want to start all over. Oh well. I guess that will be the friday night project.

I don't know if they will fold or not. I think it is very possible, but why would they fold if they are digging in?

I guess shorter screws are a better idea anyways for less rolling resistance.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Is this bike going to be in a remake of Mad Max or something? That could be misconceived as a weapon by some authorities.
Take over an inch off and you are good. The wet screams or swampthings work quite well.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The spikes stick exactly 1 inch out of the tire. I used 1 1/4" screws, so I guess I will be getting 3/4" screws or 1/2" screws. And another trip to walmart/k-mart for another $14 tire:disgust1:

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
nothing wrong with the tire, just take those screws our and put shorter ones in the same holes. If it doesn't work come over and get a tire from me. I've got tons of old tires you can use.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Like someone said above you need a way to hold the screws in the tire. Otherwise they will strip the rubber tire and get pushed back in. Try adding some nuts (on the outside of the tire) on a different type of screw that can accept a nut. Pointed ends are not a must, try some kind of fastening screw as apposed to wood screws.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Try adding some nuts (on the outside of the tire) on a different type of screw that can accept a nut. Pointed ends are not a must, try some kind of fastening screw as apposed to wood screws.
button head 8-32's with suitable washers / nuts would be pretty good.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
just get some wide tires for snow races, studs really do not make much of a difference in the long run. your fellow competitors will thank you.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
This looks like something out of deathrace. I expect that you would also be wearing sheet metal pads.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ughh, I don't want to start all over.
Should have consulted before you started ;)

I don't know if they will fold or not. I think it is very possible, but why would they fold if they are digging in?
Because they won't dig in. Picture how the tire rolls - as the tire rolls, the point is going to first come into contact with the ground somewhat sideways. With a screw that long, there's a lot of leverage there, and it's just going to fold right over.

With short screws, there is much less leverage from the ground on the screw so it'll be more inclined to stay upright.

These things might work in the very lightly packed sections but it may rip the tire to shreds on harder packed areas.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
It will be a little bit of snow and a lot of hard pack east coast type ice/snow stuff.

Hey are you racing Blue mountain this weekend? It is a four cross format - I hope your not in my heat. Those things look dangerous!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
It will be a little bit of snow and a lot of hard pack east coast type ice/snow stuff.

Hey are you racing Blue mountain this weekend? It is a four cross format - I hope your not in my heat. Those things look dangerous!
Yes, it's for the blue mt race. He'll be on a demo 9. I'll be on a Bottlerocket, but I'm not running spikes. Hopefully wetscreams will do the trick, I don't want to get stabbed with spikes.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Should be a fun day in the snow, I think i'll be on my Demo 8 and my Son Richie will either be on his V10 or Chameleon he hasn't made the call on which bike yet.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
No joke he is getting ready for this:

PA Winter Downhill Race Announced
TAMAQUA, Pennsylvania (derailedonline.com) - Announced is the annual Winter Downhill Bike race for 2009 held in Penslyvania. The Tamaqua-based Eastern Schuylkill Recreation Commission (ESRC) is once again in the process of organizing its ninth annual winter downhill bike race. This year’s event is being co-sponsored with Ed’s Course Designers and Blue Mountain Ski Area. The race will take place on Saturday, January 10 at Blue Mountain Ski Area in Palmerton, PA. Registration is from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. at the upper lodge, with the race following at approximately 10:30 a.m. Entry fee is $20 per racer. The race will be biker cross style (on snow downhill) with four racers per heat. A bike and helmet are required; pads are recommended. For more information or to pre-register, please contact ESRC Executive Director Jason Boris at 570-668-2919 or via email at esrcrec@hotmail.com.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Tell him to bring the v-10... That way I might win. I am going to have a late night friday... Thanks for the screw suggestion.

Casey, how tall are the knobbies on your wetscreams?

If anyone has wet screws, I will buy some.

Also, for the fat tire suggestion... I might float, but what about ice in a turn, slidey slidey.

Damo, can you elaborate on your experience with making snow tires? Sounds like you could be of some help.

Thanks guys for helping.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I think fat tires would be a bad idea. I think Timo Pritzel(sp?) used the Tioga mud tire in a hard compound when he won that Red Bull snow event back in 03 or 04. I remember seeing pictures of the course and it looked well groomed/hard packed. Either way sounds like a fun race.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I was taking the piss with the longer screws idea.

I don't use screws at all. WetScreams stiffen up when cold turning them into spikes anyway. I have never made made studded tyres. Never seen the need for them. However, if you are set on making them, use much much shorter screws. I mean having about 3-4mm of screw sticking out.

Google it, there is some good stuff out there.

Edit: 'taking the piss' means joking. 4mm = 5/16 of a jig in your old fashioned measuring...
:D

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
If it's snow I'll run the biggest tire, at the lowest pressure possible. Floatation is key.
If it's ice, forget big & floaty, & go with short studs.

I've made my own ice tires for a while now.
Tires: 2.1" Maxxis Swampthing 60 duro
Studs: #6 x 3/8" lg round head, zinc plated
Stan's rim strip, (2) scoops sealant

crappy cell phone pic

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

I don't use screws at all. WetScreams stiffen up when cold turning them into spikes anyway.
On hardpack and snow that's all good, but if he's riding real icy EC conditions, anything but super soft winter car compound tires are going to suck on ice.

Maybe take some boltcutters to the screws? :brows:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
you only need a few mm's of screw sticking out of the rubber to catch the ice.

Look for some old school panaracer spikes

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007

I don't use screws at all. WetScreams stiffen up when cold turning them into spikes anyway. I have never made made studded tyres. Never seen the need for them. However, if you are set on making them, use much much shorter screws. I mean having about 3-4mm of screw sticking out.

Google it, there is some good stuff out there.

Edit: 'taking the piss' means joking. 4mm = 5/16 of a jig in your old fashioned measuring...
:D
Anyone have wetscreams they wanna sell?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Imagine you riding a straight line, and then trying to turn. Then imagine that all of the sudden your tires bite into the snow HARD, and the bike chucks you off the saddle...

...because that's what I'm imagining, and it's funny. RIDE ON!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Went to the store tonight!

Got some screws, but couldn't find any nuts for them at lowes... I didn't try home depot yet.

So, MY OLD SCREWS, they were 1 1/4" long. They stick out a tiny bit under 1
inch as seen in the picture below. So... What I am getting at is, should I used those 8 x 3/4 screws, or 8 x 1 screws? If I use 8 x 1 I will have 3/4 inch sticking out. If I use 8 x 1, I will have 3/4" screw sticking out.

So which one should I use? Do I need 1/2 inch or 3/4's inch screw sticking out?

Thanks once again for helping out.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Rather then having to redo the tire, why not just clip the screws to lenght? I have done a few tires for xc riding this way. As it is easier to use longer screws, I find.