Quantcast

Are these MAN EATERS too spikey?

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I've never done this myself but I would imagine from what I've seen done before that you should use even shorter screws. Maybe 1/4" sticking out past the rubber?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So which one should I use? Do I need 1/2 inch or 3/4's inch screw sticking out?
Dude, read the ****ing thread. You don't want any more than 1/4" sticking out of the tires. This is for your benefit. What, do you think people are lying to you so they can all laugh at you when you show up with a measly 1/4" and they are on their Mad Max 1" spikes?

Jesus ****ing christ.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
I have seen a couple guys nearly remove their fun parts running a tire studded to the max on the rear of the bike. Try to not hang off the back of the bike too much. Also, if I was racing in a 4x race and this guy bumped/ran into/crashed in front of me with this setup and caused damage to me or my bike he would be catching an immediate beating. No questions asked.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
As said above, if the snow is soft then use wide tires and studs don't help. If it is icy, then you need studs. However, you are doing it the wrong way. Use 3/8" sheet metal screws shot in from the outside. The six sides are the edges that bite into the ice. If you want to get fancy, by Kold Cutter ice screws at a moto shop. I use them on my 250F and get better traction on ice than on dirt.

you can buy them online: http://www.magicracing.com/Kold-Kutter-Ice-Racing-Screws--250-pack_p_68-1076.html#

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd double check with the race organizer that you are even allowed to run studs. Most snow races that have more than one person on the course at one time won't allow any form of studs.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'd double check with the race organizer that you are even allowed to run studs. Most snow races that have more than one person on the course at one time won't allow any form of studs.

What about The Hoff?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've found that Tioga Black turtles work really well in snow, including hard pack semi-icy stuff. I've got a couple sets of Wet Screams sitting here waiting to be mounted up but they're going on my new bike build so I haven't tested them yet.

-Kevin

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Studded tires are allowed at the race. Also, I will just do the screws my way for now. I think you are right in using the other way, cause the screws can grab more surface area.

I will give a review and pictures MAYBE sometime after tommorow.

wuchi

Chimp
Jun 7, 2008
Åre (sweden)
here's a picture of my old icetyres:

for my newest tyres I used 14mm sheetmetal screws with predrilling tip.
they stay sharp for a lot longer and has insane grip on ice.
you could lay your bike down like a roadracingbike when you turn with perfect grip.
i also used Wet Screams instead of the old crappy highrollers i found in my garage.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
THE REVIEW:
So here is my final product... $32 for 2 walmart tires, $20 for screws at lowes.

The course was very steep. It is a snowboard course on a double diamond (if that means anything to you) course. You couldn't see part of the course from the top, cause the beggining was so steep.

It was a lot of fun though. The screws were a half inch, and they worked GREAT. I think if they were smaller they wouldn't have hooked up cause the terrain and ruts from other riders. A guy in back of me with smaller screws slid out too in an angled berm. I think for xc or normal riding quarter inch would be good, but these really got the job done. I think 3/4's inch would be great, but overkill because it would slow you down on flatter sections unless you have the legs of a mountain goat.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
How many heats did you make it through? I spun my tire in the starting gate, and it pretty much killed my run. The other 2 guys that were in my heat were pretty fast so I didn't have much hope of passing them. The course was fun at least, but with no practice run I don't do very well.

Next year I'm copying Lars' tires (60a wet screams with gold ice spikes). They key to winning is getting the holeshot and not crashing afterward. Sneaking out to the course and practice running it before everyone shows up doesn't hurt either.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well, I made it to the top 10. I was in the gate with lars, and the guy with the Dakar Bam and the Guy with the Marin Quake 7.1 or w\e.

I took one heat without goggles when it was snowing and just barely won cause it was getting in my eyes. The next heat I tried to clean up my goggles, and I couldn't see the course that well because the goggles were getting so fogged, but I couldn't ride without them. I think I could have managed 3rd or second if they cleared up better.

At the end, it was so freakin choppy! It was so rutted and Lars almost went over a turn.

The last race was GREAT. Lars went though the first turn, jumped off the roller and landed into the second turn. He got over the table with neko about 10 feet behind. Then, Lars and Neko were manualing the rollers at the bottom and Neko caught Lars and won. It was a really good race.

EDIT: DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH LAYERS TONY?

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Sounds insanely fun!
We do a bit of snow riding here, but I've never raced on snow.
Nice work! Get some ski/board specific goggles next time to sort the fogging out.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Sounds insanely fun!
We do a bit of snow riding here, but I've never raced on snow.
Nice work! Get some ski/board specific goggles next time to sort the fogging out.
I borrowed some fog resistent oakley's for snowboarding... Guess I need to read reviews and get my own.

The only thing I need to do next time is maybe get wider tires.

Imagine you have a road tire and a downhill tire, and say IN THEORY, they both stay on top of the snow. If there is a lack of traction, obviously the downhill tire will be easier to keep from sliding side to side, because there is more of a surface to balance your weight on.

The only negative thing I experienced with the tires is when it got a little powdery or chewed up on the course, the tires would want to slide out, and I was running a fairly slack head angle too (about 64 degrees).

Wider tires for me next year probably. I had could probably go 1/4"-1/2" more of tire and still clear the frame.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
"I have seen a couple guys nearly remove their fun parts running a tire studded to the max on the rear of the bike. Try to not hang off the back of the bike too much. Also, if I was racing in a 4x race and this guy bumped/ran into/crashed in front of me with this setup and caused damage to me or my bike he would be catching an immediate beating. No questions asked."

Ummm^^^^^^ EXTREMELY GOOD F*CKING POINT. And can I add a big, fat, "FUGGING DUH!" to that???
I mean, it's not like you need to get down low and behind your bike on ice ever... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking this is Darwin's Law at work here, anyone who thinks a tire like that is even feasible does NOT need to be replicating. Have at it, genius.

And even just the simple BASICS of a tire are being ignored here! Pretty much everyone who's ever run normal, mud spikes cuts them down because THOSE fold over on corners!

And homepiece is again correct on causing the OTHER riders injury. If even the resort lets you on their property like that, they deserve to be sued and your nuts desrve to be turned into hamburger helper.
Congrats on the most retarded thought process and picture i've ever seen on here, and the rest of you should be ashamed for letting it last 3 pages! Wow! I was on Pinkbike for 20 solid minutes this morning and didn't see anything this stupid!!!! No wonder I haven't been on here for months...

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow... who pissed in your cherios?

Anyways... It's my choice if I want to shred my butthole. :biggrin:

It's an advantage to the race, and the people that stage the event let you use studded tires. I take every advantage to do better that I can.

Besides, in the summer time I ride my bike down really steep hills with sharp rocks and big jumps... I am obviously willing to take the risk.

EDIT: Yea, they seem real bright over at pinkbike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=36540

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
EDIT: Yea, they seem real bright over at pinkbike.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=36540
uhh, I can't believe some of the post on that. You know, some companies are screening job applicants by searching internet forums for thing like this. In many cases, they are able to associate screennames to actual names. Keep that in mind when publicly stating dumb stuff.

For your monday humor, this thread is even better: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=25947

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007