Quantcast

"Are they expensive? Yes"

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Echo said:
I'm curious if you have ever personally known someone who had warranty problems with a Nicolai? Or are you just hating on Nicolai when you have no direct personal experience with their products?
i had a frame warrantied (i'm the second owner; frame was about 1.5 years old), and the process couldn't have been any smoother. the guys @ nicolai were consumate professionals; approved the warranty without problem, and had my frame back to me within a couple weeks (including shipping from germany to canada). the warranty program is as good as it gets in my opinion - 5 years (without the racing / "stunt riding" exceptions than many companies have in their fine print) is exceptional, especially considering most of us don't ride frames for more than a couple seasons.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
biggins said:
why would it make sense for a freeride bike?
Maybe because the bike in question had what, 140mm of travel and was intended for forks no taller than 150mm? They list 'extreme FR' for the big bikes and it shows. Either way you were incorect in stating what you did as I'm looking at the 04 catalogue and it states nothing to that, only "mounting too long of a fork will void our waranty", then lists each allowed fork length seperately, of which 5 frames allow 200mm forks. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding but if you look into it you'll see what the waranty actualy states, and it states nothing to what you claimed.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
jimmydean said:
Hell no, but it's nice. Mine will be a lot less show, and a lot more go.

There's a lot more 'go'!

With regards to smothing welds or not, totaly personal opinions. Like chocolate or vanila ice cream.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
atrokz said:
There's a lot more 'go'!

With regards to smothing welds or not, totaly personal opinions. Like chocolate or vanila ice cream.
:drool:

Exile makes a damn nice ride. I'm not a huge fan of the big front tire for speed, but it looks good.

Not to derail the thread too much, but this is what I have in mind, only flat black with a white wall rear tire for the old school look.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Keeping the frame chrome? Should be realy pimp. I'm glad to see some people still into clean understated designs.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That frame isn't chrome, it's silver powdercoating (DuPont Argent Silver to be exact).

Mine will be 90%+ flat black with some satin black accents. It will also be built with 4130, not mild steel and be covered in powder, not wet paint.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
biggins said:
i like bikes with no welds.

Someone should work on that. Like a complete cncd 1 piece mainframe and swingarm.

I-beam frame members wouldn't be too hard to do, and people already cnc the BB area and head tube area. come on patineto, where are you?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That is hot, seriously.

My brothers Road King looks very close to that, only with a 34 degree rake and a springer fork.

Rake looks cool, but makes for a bitch when trying to steer at speed. Mine will be betwen as close to 32 degrees as possible. My brothers old shovel head was adjustable from 32 to 36 degrees (pat pen).

elRey

Turbo Monkey
manhattanprjkt83 said:
i didnt read the thread but how can you be part of this board and not know about this bike...???
where does it say that it is a prerequisite of joining this forum to know of every mtn bike in existence?
I posted it on here to see if I could learn a little more about it.:teacher:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Back to the topic of smoothing welds: The "roll of dimes" look is a way of knowing that the bike was welded by a very experienced weldor.
In many cases a rougher single pass weld is stronger than a double pass, especially in Ti bikes. Some compaines, Merlin comes to mind, take a second lower amp finish pass to make the weld cosmetically smooth. This takes all the impurities that were deposited on the surface and mixes them into the weld, making the weld brittle. When is comes to Ti, single pass is the only way to go. I suspect aluminum is the same way.

Choppers and hotrods and boat trailers have the welds ground out because most of them are done with a MIG torch by hacks. The only way to make a mig weld look good is to grind it out and cover it with bondo.