Quantcast

"Are they expensive? Yes"

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Uh... they are pretty amazing, actually.

yeah and what an awesome warranty you get for your 5000.00 dollar frame.

crap i tell ya, crap. just like mercedez.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Do a search, there are a few monkeys with various models. DW has (or had) one with a Rohloff speed hub before the g-boxx model was developed.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Nicolai fabrication is INSANE. Every weld bead on their frames looks like laid-over roll of nickels. Very high-end bike, and uber expensive. The g-boxx Nicolai bikes and even the standard drivtrain ones have TONS of CAD, FEA, and fabrication that goes into development. Great stuff:

http://www.nicolai.net/

If I could I'd love to have a Nucleon TST Evo... all I have to do is get that loan approved, mortgage my house, sell a few kidneys...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MudGrrl said:
I'm not buying anything that sounds like it supports soviet russia.

friggin commies.

:D
It's made by freedom hatin pop tart eatin commie pinkos! Git a rope!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
S.K.C. said:
Nicolai fabrication is INSANE. Every weld bead on their frames looks like laid-over roll of nickels. Very high-end bike, and uber expensive. The g-boxx Nicolai bikes and even the standard drivtrain ones have TONS of CAD, FEA, and fabrication that goes into development. Great stuff:

http://www.nicolai.net/

If I could I'd love to have a Nucleon TST Evo... all I have to do is get that loan approved, mortgage my house, sell a few kidneys...
maybe so with the welds and fab but they still have a crappy warranty.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
biggins said:
maybe so with the welds and fab but they still have a crappy warranty.
I'm curious if you have ever personally known someone who had warranty problems with a Nicolai? Or are you just hating on Nicolai when you have no direct personal experience with their products?

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Echo said:
I'm curious if you have ever personally known someone who had warranty problems with a Nicolai? Or are you just hating on Nicolai when you have no direct personal experience with their products?
I do and I saw how they handled it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Echo said:
well i am judging by the warranty info on their website. i dont know anyone who owns one because they would rather buy a couple of bikes for the same amount.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
S.K.C. said:
Every weld bead on their frames looks like laid-over roll of nickels.
I always wondered why this is a desirable trait? Personal preference? I know nothing about welding, but always felt the "lavaflow" look of some welds is just sloppy. Is there a reason for it other than aesthetics?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
I always wondered why this is a desirable trait? Personal preference? I know nothing about welding, but always felt the "lavaflow" look of some welds is just sloppy. Is there a reason for it other than aesthetics?
It is a looks thing. It has no structural advantage as far as I understand (from my welding friends who think it looks like crap). It does show a steady hand, but it doesn't mean the weld it more or less solid than one that is less than perfect, as long as there are no gaps and suck of course.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
biggins said:
well i am judging by the warranty info on their website. i dont know anyone who owns one because they would rather buy a couple of bikes for the same amount.
OK I just looked at their warranty info on their website. Looks to me like a 5 year warranty which is transferable to other owners instead of being only for the original purchaser like most companies. Looks like if you do stupid crap like use high pressure water to clean it, or ride it with bolts loose, or leave it outside all winter, or choose to use a cheap headset when they specifically say not to, they don't cover that damage.

And their crappy warranty doesn't cover the paint, care to point out a manufacturer that will warranty their frame if you chip the paint?

Oh and they don't cover broken derailleur hangers. I suppose you have a long list of companies that will warranty a derailleur hanger.

And of course every other manufacturer will gladly warranty your frame if you screw it up by not inserting the seatpost deep enough.

What exactly don't you like about their warranty? I suppose you like DH frame makers who void your warranty if you use it for racing?

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Tenchiro said:
I wonder if that guy knows that Ford makes Mercedes now.... :dead:
Not that it matters a whole bunch, but I would not like to think that my Dakota has anything to do with Ford. DaimlerChrysler is the parent company of Dodge/Chrysler and Mercedes.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
actually just looked at the site. last year they ahd all kinds of crap about running a dual crown fork with more than 6.5 inches of travel voiding the warranty.

good thing they changed their mind since they are selling a downhill bike.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
biggins said:
actually just looked at the site. last year they ahd all kinds of crap about running a dual crown fork with more than 6.5 inches of travel voiding the warranty.

good thing they changed their mind since they are selling a downhill bike.
Well if it said that I would have to agree with you :D

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ it never said that about their DH bikes

Great bikes, welds are absolutely perfect (low temperatures, longer time and deep penetration is what creates that look. Which translates to better welds), quality is flawless. Waranty is good (5 yeas, transferable, competition use allowed), and about 'forks no longer than 6.5 inches', please reference that, because I know for a fact you could run 200mm 888's (with the tall crowns) on all the DH bikes in any year. Perhaps you were reading for a bike like the helius FR in which case that statement would make sense and would make sense from Nicolai's POV.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
jimmydean said:
It is a looks thing. It has no structural advantage as far as I understand (from my welding friends who think it looks like crap). It does show a steady hand, but it doesn't mean the weld it more or less solid than one that is less than perfect, as long as there are no gaps and suck of course.
That look is due to lower temperatures which translates to longer times and deeper penetration. It's far beyond a 'looks' thing, and at any rate, 2 of my welding freinds see it as beautiful which kind of cancels out your friends thoughts :P

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
atrokz said:
That look is due to lower temperatures which translates to longer times and deeper penetration. It's far beyond a 'looks' thing, and at any rate, 2 of my welding freinds see it as beautiful which kind of cancels out your friends thoughts :P
It just looks unfinished. :blah:
If it really has deeper penetration then smoothing it out on top shouldn't negate that right? I'm asking because someday I'd love to order up a custom frame and I'm interested in knowing whether I can dictate the look of the joints without sacrificing strength.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BikeGeek said:
If it really has deeper penetration then smoothing it out on top shouldn't negate that right? I'm asking because someday I'd love to order up a custom frame and I'm interested in knowing whether I can dictate the look of the joints without sacrificing strength.
:stupid:

Smoothing out like you would on a chopper frame or car frame for cleaner lines is the way to go. looking like a roll of dimes disrupts the flow of lines. In custom fabrication, the key is to make the piece look like it is whole, rather than two or more pieces joined together.

For some reason, bike frames are expected to have the "roll of dimes" look. But you own't see that in other projects.

Notice the lack of dimes...

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
lots of bondo in that chopper frame too. We do the same thing to the race boat trailers. Smooth it out and bondo it up. But guess where they always seem to crack.

Jimmydean, is that your bike?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
atrokz said:
^ it never said that about their DH bikes

Great bikes, welds are absolutely perfect (low temperatures, longer time and deep penetration is what creates that look. Which translates to better welds), quality is flawless. Waranty is good (5 yeas, transferable, competition use allowed), and about 'forks no longer than 6.5 inches', please reference that, because I know for a fact you could run 200mm 888's (with the tall crowns) on all the DH bikes in any year. Perhaps you were reading for a bike like the helius FR in which case that statement would make sense and would make sense from Nicolai's POV.
why would it make sense for a freeride bike? thats just as silly in either case i remember eading it and it was the dh bike becuase i amde some direct quote a while back from their warranty site about the regulated amount of travel you were allowed to run under warranty pretense.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
BikeGeek said:

You want something like this:

Thought I read somewhere that Klein had to use a specific aluminum to do the smooth welds.

Edit: Klein claims they are "fileless" welds.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
spookydave said:
Jimmydean, is that your bike?
Hell no, but it's nice. Mine will be a lot less show, and a lot more go.

I wish I had pictures of my brothers bike to show you. We didn't use any filler at all on the frame (makes for a better powdercoat surface). The welds were smoothed out on the visible side making a clean line while having strength. Johnny Chop did the fab work on it. His lines are the hotness. I shot the frame in flat black powder and the motor was shot to match with a new powder that is good to 1700 degrees (cures at 400). Then we shaved the fins in the cylinders for a little touch of color.

If done right, the weld can be cleaned up and have the strength as well. If the weld is solid, there is no need for filler.