Quantcast

Are video will's legally binding?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have a last will and testament and a living will set up from when I was still in the Army. I guess it's time to update since that was almost 10 years ago.

My question is... are video will's just as good as the standard stuff?
Have any of you guys ever made one?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Man, you must really be worried about that dude's release...
hahaha, haven't thought about that too much. Just keeping my head on a pivot (which it always is anyways).

I'm growing up I guess. Got a GF that's the best candidate so far for "she's a keeper" status. Starting to think about the future and who's gonna get my bikes if I get run over by some SoCal driver texting while making a yielding left turn (oh wait, that happened in 2009).

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Which state are you in?
How big of an estate?
Anyone who would be interested in tying things up in probate court?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What's the rationale behind a video will versus a written one?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
For once I agree with Serial. Video wills are cute and entertaining, but if you look at the probate law and the case law, they don't hold water very well. And in the event that anything happens and/or "happens" to you, a living will is the right bit-o-paper at the right time.

I would also suggest looking into trusts and some other devices, but for the mean time a living will and a will for after you go kick it in the big bike park in the sky are pretty good ideas. And don't forget the notary.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
...but for the mean time a living will and a will for after you go kick it in the big bike park in the sky are pretty good ideas. And don't forget the notary.
Any good sites out there for templates? Do you have to get a lawyer involved, or just have it signed by a witness and notarized?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Signed and witnessed is good enough.

I always advocate getting a lawyer in your town. I hold onto a copy of every will my clients do, and I tell them to keep one in a safety deposit box.