Quantcast

Are we toast?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No idea at the moment. Overall, it's somewhat unlikely that the monkey just goes kaput; there's a decent amount of traffic here, so it's an asset with value, and is much more likely to be transferred somewhere rather than just killed off.

Honestly, though, I get very little insight into this stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm sure the magazine is permanently kaput, but from what I've read the employees are being furloughed. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to continue the digital side.
here's to hoping. while i didn't subscribe, from what i heard the content was still good. i must admit that i do sometimes click/read the bikemag articles via RM.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Has anyone reach out to David Pecker? Is he hard to get a hold of?

What

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
maybe we should begin a kickstarter, just in case we need to buy the monkey. MONKEY RUN BY MONKEYS
Fun fact: I tried to buy the Monkey twice. Once I couldn't get together enough cash (I was young, this was when Adam was trying to unload the site), and again after one of the corporate disasters with that horrible content management system and they wanted a ludicrous amount of money for it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fun fact: I tried to buy the Monkey twice. Once I couldn't get together enough cash (I was young, this was when Adam was trying to unload the site), and again after one of the corporate disasters with that horrible content management system and they wanted a ludicrous amount of money for it.
i think we could scrape together enough pesos this time around

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i think @binary visions should be secretly copying the backend database, etc. you know, for contingency planning.

alos, @Pesqueeb's avatar seems disturbingly relevant right now
When AMI took over the site, I was locked out of all direct server/database access, unfortunately. I'm poking around with my various contacts to see what's up and what's possible.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How much would "ridemonkey.com" even be worth? I mean it gets redirected to ridemonkey.bike.com, so I'm guessing its mostly just the regulars and the odd legacy link floating around on the interwebs somewhere.

I wonder how big the database is? I'm guessing majority of it is from the media being posted.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
How much would "ridemonkey.com" even be worth? I mean it gets redirected to ridemonkey.bike.com, so I'm guessing its mostly just the regulars and the odd legacy link floating around on the interwebs somewhere.

I wonder how big the database is? I'm guessing majority of it is from the media being posted.
It's likely that they would only divest the whole site as a package, and its value would be tied to the amount of traffic the site as a whole gets.

The database isn't too large, the media is much larger. But all of that stuff is locked up in their servers now, so you need their cooperation to transition; I can't just rip out a backup and set it up at www.ridemonkey2.com or something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's likely that they would only divest the whole site as a package, and its value would be tied to the amount of traffic the site as a whole gets.

The database isn't too large, the media is much larger. But all of that stuff is locked up in their servers now, so you need their cooperation to transition; I can't just rip out a backup and set it up at www.ridemonkey2.com or something.
nuke it from orbit and start from scratch. we'll control our own destiny! try it now monkey dot com

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the technical discussions have so much value. I was just reading about how to tune a roco from 2008. I'd be in for a kickstarter.