Quantcast

Are we toast?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all i was thinking was depending on who owns the url, could be easy to set the nameservers to the new host once an alternate forum is running

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I will not join facebook.
For real. I just mostly quit Facebook...

I'm already crawling the past content but it's only going to be somewhat useful - there are a lot of reasons why it's difficult to store this kind of content in an accessible way, and you'd never make it interactive again.

I'm not super worried about spinning up a new site if needed. I can do that pretty rapidly. It would just be a shame to lose two decades worth of content.
I'm down to help in any way I can, if we are able to pick this thing up and move it to a new server or whatever. I have some database migration/forum management experience, though I'm sure you have that sort of thing dialed in. Agreed that losing the two decades of the worthwhile (and the worthless) content would be a travesty.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
all i was thinking was depending on who owns the url, could be easy to set the nameservers to the new host once an alternate forum is running
Sure. But we'd need cooperation for that. If AMI isn't willing to divest Ridemonkey (or are asking a too-high price), it means they want to maintain the traffic and property value, so they're not going to point the domain anywhere.

For real. I just mostly quit Facebook...

I'm down to help in any way I can, if we are able to pick this thing up and move it to a new server or whatever. I have some database migration/forum management experience, though I'm sure you have that sort of thing dialed in. Agreed that losing the two decades of the worthwhile (and the worthless) content would be a travesty.
Thanks for the offer. I'm very comfortable with the site & database migration if we're given the opportunity, but if any wrinkles come up I'll definitely reach out.

I've gotten a lot of offers for various levels of help - technical and financial - and it's nice to know that something I've poured a lot into over nearly two decades means something to the people who hang out here.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Minor (unsatisfying) update: the AMI technical team has been instructed that, for now at least, the forums and website(s) are to be maintained and supported.

Still looking for something more concrete.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Thanks for the update, BV!

Any chance you can talk to my technical team and convince them to not use Bootstrap classes in an entirely ineffective way, and to stop putting unnecessary markup into our application, and generally quit fucking up our design?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Minor (unsatisfying) update: the AMI technical team has been instructed that, for now at least, the forums and website(s) are to be maintained and supported.

Still looking for something more concrete.

Sketchy good news is better than sketchy bad news or no news.

But while we have momentum, lets all pitch in and buy a monkey.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Any chance you can talk to my technical team and convince them to not use Bootstrap classes in an entirely ineffective way, and to stop putting unnecessary markup into our application, and generally quit fucking up our design?
I'm sorry, you're looking for a developer.

I'm an infrastructure/security architect who knows enough about databases and scripting to be really, amazingly effective at fucking things up when I try to help.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm sorry, you're looking for a developer.

I'm an infrastructure/security architect who knows enough about databases and scripting to be really, amazingly effective at fucking things up when I try to help.
I think you misunderstood... the developers are the problem. I need someone to tell them to stop fucking it up. :p

Seriously though, thanks for keeping this ship sailing... at least for now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think you misunderstood... the developers are the problem. I need someone to tell them to stop fucking it up. :p

Seriously though, thanks for keeping this ship sailing... at least for now.
I'm pretty good at wrangling developers when they screw up security. If you want me to talk about development best practices, though, you'd best be pretty sure they're not going to call my bluff and start asking questions.

My code is liable to contain things like, while 1 = 1 and sleep 10.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm pretty good at wrangling developers when they screw up security. If you want me to talk about development best practices, though, you'd best be pretty sure they're not going to call my bluff and start asking questions.

My code is liable to contain things like, while 1 = 1 and sleep 10.
Sleep? Yea let's listen to some sleep

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just heard back this morning that AMI's sports arm is currently not interested in selling any of its brands.

No discussion of price, just not interested in selling. Said they'd contact me if that changed.

So... not what I wanted to hear, but at least it sounds like they're maintaining the brands in the near-term, which suggests again that the websites won't disappear overnight.

I just heard back this morning that AMI's sports arm is currently not interested in selling any of its brands.

No discussion of price, just not interested in selling. Said they'd contact me if that changed.

So... not what I wanted to hear, but at least it sounds like they're maintaining the brands in the near-term, which suggests again that the websites won't disappear overnight.
Thanks, BV!

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
There is likely some easy explanation for this, but Bike had a new article today (has today's date)? Don't see it on the Bike website, but it's linked on the upper right of the RM front page:

I thought everyone was gone, effective immediately?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is likely some easy explanation for this, but Bike had a new article today (has today's date)? Don't see it on the Bike website, but it's linked on the upper right of the RM front page:

I thought everyone was gone, effective immediately?
Pretty sure that is just an advertisement