Quantcast

Are we toast?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is this... sarcasm?

Honestly I don't know... I've never read or watched Bike bike tests. Or Beta bike tests.
Cereal.

I liked watching the old Bible of Bike reviews, looks like they're still going to try and put out similar content.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not even toast. Not even crumbs to be picked up by a suddenly cash-infused Outside conglomerate.

PinkLizard said:
Pinkbike’s content and services have long been paid for with an advertising model, while our new parent company offers some features of their titles in a subscription called Outside+.
(...)
In the coming months we’ll be digging into how Pinkbike can best support the Outside platform and make their offerings even more compelling. While our long term business model will evolve, a significant portion of our content will remain free. We’re thrilled about the ideas on the table already.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
At least they don't say ""the world’s premium active lifestyle platform." Not yet, anyway.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Huh. Outdoor own the GAIA GPS app? From what I understand GAIA has been informing people that some of our MTB only, downhill only, proper DH trails are nice places for family hikes. I wonder if they will become liable after a toddler takes a DHF to the face at 20 MPH.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Huh. Outdoor own the GAIA GPS app? From what I understand GAIA has been informing people that some of our MTB only, downhill only, proper DH trails are nice places for family hikes. I wonder if they will become liable after a toddler takes a DHF to the face at 20 MPH.
I use Gaia a lot, but it's really bad as a primary source of information. Probably dangerously so.

I usually use it when I've already researched my trails, maybe downloaded a GPS route, etc. and then it's a convenient way to track and navigate my hike.

Last time I blindly trusted Gaia, I thought I had found a nice way to turn an out-and-back into a loop trail. The "connecting trail" that Gaia documented turned out to be essentially falling down a 45 degree dirt slope for a quarter mile, clambering down into a sheer-walled river ravine, fording the river, and then hauling yourself up the even-steeper far side by whatever vegetation was strong enough to pull on. No trail at all.

I've seen a lot of other instances where trails were in the app that didn't exist, or were inappropriate for hiking. It's a good tool but not a good source of trusted data.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use Gaia a lot, but it's really bad as a primary source of information. Probably dangerously so.

I usually use it when I've already researched my trails, maybe downloaded a GPS route, etc. and then it's a convenient way to track and navigate my hike.

Last time I blindly trusted Gaia, I thought I had found a nice way to turn an out-and-back into a loop trail. The "connecting trail" that Gaia documented turned out to be essentially falling down a 45 degree dirt slope for a quarter mile, clambering down into a sheer-walled river ravine, fording the river, and then hauling yourself up the even-steeper far side by whatever vegetation was strong enough to pull on. No trail at all.

I've seen a lot of other instances where trails were in the app that didn't exist, or were inappropriate for hiking. It's a good tool but not a good source of trusted data.

The trails are clearly marked one way bike only but I suspect after making plans and driving an hour, people choose to believe the information that got them there over what they see when they get there.

I like to use WTA and REI's hiking project. The information is well vetted and will occasionally point out a route that is a bad idea and at one's own risk.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
REI's hiking project
mtbproject, hikingproject et al are no longer REI, they seem to have been acquired by "OnX" who keep advertising their pay app. I hope mtbproject doesn't go by the wayside without subscription.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Turned off adblocker.

Would really suck if this site went away. There are a bunch of monkeys on here that I hope to meet one day.
little known fact....

i actually said whatsup to narlus and one of his man children at the sleep show in denver...

then scurried back into reclusion....