Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of american democracy?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aug 25, 2003
The old timey times
I don't want big government running my _____________

It's much better in the hands of (checks notes) PUBLICLY TRADED PRIVATE ENERGY COMPANIES :rofl:

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.

English said he unenrolled their thermostat as soon as he found out.
“I wouldn’t want anybody else controlling my things for me,” he said.
A scroll through a Houston Reddit board shows English is not alone. Several others said they found out during this week’s heatwave that their thermostats were being accessed, and turned up, remotely.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

It's much better in the hands of (checks notes) PUBLICLY TRADED PRIVATE ENERGY COMPANIES :rofl:

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.

A scroll through a Houston Reddit board shows English is not alone. Several others said they found out during this week’s heatwave that their thermostats were being accessed, and turned up, remotely.
Reading comprehension not one of English's strong suits, apparently.

Then again, who doesn't love a sweepstakes, amirite??

:disgust:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aug 25, 2003
The old timey times
I don't know, I'm sure that clause was buried somewhere and designed to be missed. I don't fault the people who signed up for it as much as the regulation-free somalian texas hellscape elected officials are continually shooting for.

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't know, I'm sure that clause was buried somewhere and designed to be missed. I don't fault the people who signed up for it as much as the regulation-free somalian texas hellscape elected officials are continually shooting for.
I suppose that's possible.

We have a similar thing here that Xcel Energy does, called the "Saver's Switch" that controls the A/C compressor via a "remote box" instead of the actual thermostat.

I get a yearly discount for allowing them to cycle my compressor during peak energy use periods in the summer.

Since we basically don't use our A/C in the summer, it was a no-brainer, but I *did* know what I was signing up for.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aug 25, 2003
The old timey times
cnn is such a piece of shit

I do not want to "hear their stories"

The NYT made a likeable, acceptable down to earth humanized nazi out of richard fucking spencer. These moron 'news' agencies are highly responsible for continuing this cycle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

a quote from elsewhere:

"During a demand-response event, Smart Savers Texas increases the temperature on participating thermostats by up to 4 degrees to reduce energy consumption and relieve stress on the grid," Erika Diamond, EnergyHub's vice president of customer solutions, told Insider, adding that "the ability to reduce energy consumption is critical to managing the grid, in Texas and nationwide."

:clue::rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aug 25, 2003
The old timey times
Nationwide?

The entire point of the texas grid is that it has no relevance to the national grid.

Also........what's 'elsewhere?'

You tradin prosthetics for texas nrg bitcoins?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Aug 25, 2003
The old timey times
Failed state

TLDR:

Southwest air employee attends mandatory training during covid
gets it and brings it home

Husband gets it an dies

employee sues over lax protocols in place for training

Judge says "that's a solid case, however we can't proceed with it because it would mean other cases and golly gee that would be wacky so fuck off"