Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of american democracy?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
This is both enraging and immensely satisfying to read. Hopefully not paywalled from the only sportsball site I follow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This is both enraging and immensely satisfying to read. Hopefully not paywalled from the only sportsball site I follow.

*hope he gets eaten by a dog, after he has trodden on lego and stubbed his toe.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
This could seriously backfire if the election ends up with the republicans needing significant undecided support, and they need strong debates to sway people. i think they are betting tribalism will reign supreme.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
American Oligarchy now enshrined.
something will be suspicious when comrade cruz starts accepting donations in rubles

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

And shortly thereafter comes the impeachment over hunters laptop, or some other made up shit, then comes the authoritarian take over.
Does anybody know what was actually on said laptop?
The way the right keeps going on about it, there is info on JFK affairs and assassination, the faked moon landing and the planet the aliens took Elvis to retire on.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Oh boy.

I was visiting my in-laws this past weekend and they had some campaign materials for the Congressional candidate they support and are preaching the gospel for around their neck of the woods. According to the brochures they had on hand, his proud endorsements are from Roger Stone and Michael Flynn. I mean, if you want to campaign on the idea of law and order, those are the kinds of people you want endorsing you, right?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Oh boy.

I was visiting my in-laws this past weekend and they had some campaign materials for the Congressional candidate they support and are preaching the gospel for around their neck of the woods. According to the brochures they had on hand, his proud endorsements are from Roger Stone and Michael Flynn. I mean, if you want to campaign on the idea of law and order, those are the kinds of people you want endorsing you, right?
Did you tell them to fuck right the fuck off with that shit? :disgust:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I see the Supreme court has just made it legal for any federal officer to kill you in your own home with no consequences if you live within 100 miles of a US border. Nice. That’ll help.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Liberals, always in for the big fight, the long haul....

catchme.JPG

I've seen all kinds of fluffy pontifications of this being a threat to democracy. But I still haven't figured out what part of the supreme court, stacked by the federalist society is democratic.

Last edited:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Not sure where else to put this, but what the actual f@#k is happening? I'm sure this has all been covered in this thread (or elsewhere on this site, multiple times) somewhere, but we're certainly witnessing the death of something, be it America's version of democracy, civil discourse, or even a basic level of intelligence. We've got elected officials talking about Hitler, Jewish space lasers and Jesus armed with an AR-15, conspiracy theorists apparently make up over half of the Country's voter base (and Donald Fucking Trump is their lord and savior), and somewhere in this country, multiple people are mulling whether or not to shoot up a church or school.

Fuck. This is what I get for reading the news.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not sure where else to put this, but what the actual f@#k is happening? I'm sure this has all been covered in this thread (or elsewhere on this site, multiple times) somewhere, but we're certainly witnessing the death of something, be it America's version of democracy, civil discourse, or even a basic level of intelligence. We've got elected officials talking about Hitler, Jewish space lasers and Jesus armed with an AR-15, conspiracy theorists apparently make up over half of the Country's voter base (and Donald Fucking Trump is their lord and savior), and somewhere in this country, multiple people are mulling whether or not to shoot up a church or school.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Im of the mind that nothing new in humanity is happening, its just amplified by social media and therefore seems like something different

Last edited:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Im of the mind that nothing new in humanity is happening, its just amplified by social media and therefore seems like something different
I mostly agree with you. The stupid shit that humanity has always done does seem to "ramping up", however. I think it's both amplified by and fueled by social media.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
“I wonder how long we’re going to have these institutions at the rate we’re undermining them. And then I wonder when they’re gone or destabilized, what we’re going to have as a country."

“The institution that I’m a part of — if someone said that one line of one opinion would be leaked by anyone, you would say, ‘Oh, that’s impossible. No one would ever do that.'" “There’s such a belief in the rule of law, belief in the court, belief in what we’re doing, that that was verboten.”

“And look where we are, where now that trust or that belief is gone forever. And when you lose that trust, especially in the institution that I’m in, it changes the institution fundamentally. You begin to look over your shoulder. It’s like kind of an infidelity, that you can explain it, but you can’t undo it.”

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas complaining about the leaked draft of the abortion opinion. One of the people who have played a big role in undermining and politicizing the Court at every turn. So much hypocrisy it hurts.

:disgust1: