Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of american democracy?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
If he doesn't find a suitable malleable minion again, Theil will probably do the job himself next time.

*edit* Not that there seems to be a shortage of willing puppets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
“I wonder how long we’re going to have these institutions at the rate we’re undermining them. And then I wonder when they’re gone or destabilized, what we’re going to have as a country."

“The institution that I’m a part of — if someone said that one line of one opinion would be leaked by anyone, you would say, ‘Oh, that’s impossible. No one would ever do that.'" “There’s such a belief in the rule of law, belief in the court, belief in what we’re doing, that that was verboten.”

“And look where we are, where now that trust or that belief is gone forever. And when you lose that trust, especially in the institution that I’m in, it changes the institution fundamentally. You begin to look over your shoulder. It’s like kind of an infidelity, that you can explain it, but you can’t undo it.”

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas complaining about the leaked draft of the abortion opinion. One of the people who have played a big role in undermining and politicizing the Court at every turn. So much hypocrisy it hurts.

:disgust1:
you know what his wifes been up to right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
“I wonder how long we’re going to have these institutions at the rate we’re undermining them. And then I wonder when they’re gone or destabilized, what we’re going to have as a country."

“The institution that I’m a part of — if someone said that one line of one opinion would be leaked by anyone, you would say, ‘Oh, that’s impossible. No one would ever do that.'" “There’s such a belief in the rule of law, belief in the court, belief in what we’re doing, that that was verboten.”

“And look where we are, where now that trust or that belief is gone forever. And when you lose that trust, especially in the institution that I’m in, it changes the institution fundamentally. You begin to look over your shoulder. It’s like kind of an infidelity, that you can explain it, but you can’t undo it.”

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas complaining about the leaked draft of the abortion opinion. One of the people who have played a big role in undermining and politicizing the Court at every turn. So much hypocrisy it hurts.

:disgust1:
LOL

Go cry to your crazy bitch qanon wife and flirt with a pubic hair.

No one ever revered you. Your name is clarence :rofl:

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
My prediction for what's going to happen soon, as the Democratic party is too "roll over and take it" the SCOTUS will not be expanded under Biden.
Then once they get gerymandered out of power and the Republicans are back in, the Republican's/Christian Taliban will expand it and pack even more hardliners into it for life.
And then you really will be screwed for at least half a century.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My prediction for what's going to happen soon, as the Democratic party is too "roll over and take it" the SCOTUS will not be expanded under Biden.
Then once they get gerymandered out of power and the Republicans are back in, the Republican's/Christian Taliban will expand it and pack even more hardliners into it for life.
And then you really will be screwed for at least half a century.
Biden just said today that expanding is off the table. Because he's a moron stuck in 1976.

We're headed for some real wierd shit with regards to interstate commerce right about now...

And you're probably correct.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
But the UK is shite post Brexit and my brother doesn't have Canadian citizenship yet for me to head there :/

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So:
- Supreme court overturns rvw, leading to theocratic laws in half of states
- Supreme court rules that public school teachers can pressure students to join in prayer at public school events but can also retaliate against those that don’t join in.
- 8th circuit says boycotts are not protected by the First Amendment.
- West Virginia v. EPA due any day, could potentially undermine a swathe of federal powers and screw clean air standards.

WTF.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So:
- Supreme court overturns rvw, leading to theocratic laws in half of states
- Supreme court rules that public school teachers can pressure students to join in prayer at public school events but can also retaliate against those that don’t join in.
- 8th circuit says boycotts are not protected by the First Amendment.
- West Virginia v. EPA due any day, could potentially undermine a swathe of federal powers and screw clean air standards.

WTF.
Rushing to become the failed state of Gilead.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
South Carolina passed a law allowing doctors to prescribe/ not prescribe whatever they want based on their personal faith.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just to go with all the other badness listed above, you possibly didn’t even notice this one:

The Scotus now says state sovereignty and judicial expediency are more important than actual getting a good judgment for a citizen. You now only have the right to quick and maybe correct justice. As the article says, this seems bad.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Just to go with all the other badness listed above, you possibly didn’t even notice this one:

The Scotus now says state sovereignty and judicial expediency are more important than actual getting a good judgment for a citizen. You now only have the right to quick and maybe correct justice. As the article says, this seems bad.

Also SCOTUS while everyone was distracted.

Damn uppity natives we'll take them down a peg or two......

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seen on twatter:

“The Supreme Qourt of the United States”.

They have gone totally wild. Something needs to happen and fast.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
“According to the U.S. Department of Education, 54% of U.S. adults 16-74 years old - about 130 million people - lack proficiency in literacy, reading below the equivalent of a sixth-grade level.”

In the year 2000, the US ranked last for reading literacy amongst all English speaking countries. US education has supposedly degraded since then.

This made me cry-lol because of course religious people are much more likely to be represented in that 54%, and the most common versions of the bible are ranked as 10th or 12th grade reading level. There is of course a variety of bibles going right down to 3rd grade level. ‘God likes Jane. Jane likes God.’ You can see why repubs like the little short phrases eh? ‘Lock her up’ etc. Holy fuckballs.

Anyway the points are a) America desperately need to sort this out and b) probably a lot of people can’t even read their fucking bibles.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I was bemoaning to my wife that kids need to learn finacial literacy fairly early, she just rolled her eyes and said “I hope the problem with this is obvious to you, too”.
um, yeah.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
“According to the U.S. Department of Education, 54% of U.S. adults 16-74 years old - about 130 million people - lack proficiency in literacy, reading below the equivalent of a sixth-grade level.”

This made me cry-lol because of course religious people are much more likely to be represented in that 54%
I would be much more comfortable with this if it were backed up with a source... I'd love to believe it is true, but....