Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of american democracy?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
So... when you're in a country held hostage by a two party system... and for both parties, "party > country"... what should the response of the country be?

Just looking for some brainstorming here.
assimilate to either party or die....so has it been written...so shall it be...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Right up to the point where they start pointing fingers at him...and hen heads will roll.

This fvcktard is providing the late night comics with a goldmine full of material every damn day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Right up to the point where they start pointing fingers at him...and hen heads will roll.

This fvcktard is providing the late night comics with a goldmine full of material every damn day.
so far the only instances of voter fraud i'm aware of (linked elsewhere in this forum) were from (R)'s.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hillary should have won so she could have fired comey six months ago and i could watch fox news prattle on about what a travesty this is....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Disturbingly....
You have no voice.
The experiment has failed.
Time to reboot the system.

" Gilens and Page tested those theories by tracking how well the preferences of various groups predicted the way that Congress and the executive branch would act on 1,779 policy issues over a span of two decades. The results were shocking. Economic elites and narrow interest groups were very influential: They succeeded in getting their favored policies adopted about half of the time, and in stopping legislation to which they were opposed nearly all of the time. Mass-based interest groups, meanwhile, had little effect on public policy. As for the views of ordinary citizens, they had virtually no independent effect at all. "

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a15895746/bust-big-tech-silicon-valley/?src=nl&mag=esq&list=nl_enl_news&date=020818

Democracy isn't the only institution under attack. Capitalism without regulation is as much of a danger to democracy as aspiring demagogues, just better veiled.
as much as i like the services these companies provide, i tend to agree in general with the monopolistic aspects argued in this article (and others).

reigning in the shady tax practices would be a good start though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Washington State issues a book with a self issued summary of each candidate. Holy shit show. Long list of crazies. Grammar and spelling are atrocious. The only people that could be considered to have sufficient experience can't even provide the right information in the right categories. If I was hiring and this was the stack of resumes I had to select from. I'd throw them all away and start calling contacts.

Some of the real winners
  1. Wearing a flat brim in profile pic
  2. Claims to have the backing of killer whales
  3. Inserts inspirational quotes in inappropriate locations
  4. Elected Experience: Losing a shit-ton of elections
  5. Libertarian
  6. Name is GoodSpaceGuy
  7. Professional politician. Dodges subjects like they were actual questions
  8. Slams incumbent using Fox News Dog whistles. Repeatedly reminds you how white she is.
  9. Crazy hair. No experience, No opinions.
  10. Experience: High School Class President
  11. Conspiracy theorist
  12. Weird scientist who started his own party
  13. Dr who has treated firemen
  14. Cell phones gonna give you cancer
  15. Experience: Tattoo/Piercing apprentice
  16. Business man with a wife and a lot of kids.

Last edited: