Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of american democracy?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have now gone from Uneasy to officially Nervous. Panic is rising nicely and there may be another update shortly.

Seriously, I don't know how you are going to rectify this one. Dictatorial powers are there for the taking. Even if you keep Trump out of the WH, you still have to keep Repubs out until Trumpism is dead and they return to some semblance of sanity. And that does not preclude a Dem going outside the wire and fully off of the reservation.

It is getting far to close to: The ring, it must be kissed.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Might want to clarify your quote. The first half is from some dumbass frat boy. The second half is actually a pretty well thought out response from a journalist, but only a portion of it. The way you have it written the whole quote seems to be from the one guy.

Regardless, actually, a pretty interesting article. My take away is that they are saying it’s a referendum on Biden versus a Trump versus Biden race. That seems a little myopic, or perhaps under informed… In other words, the typical American voter.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Pretty wild that lower unemployment + more jobs + higher wages is seen as a Biden negative relative to lower prices as a positive for Trump. Both could equate to similar lifestyle and purchasing power unless you are on a fixed income, which seems more of a retiree concern than a young voter issue.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It is a pretty well known fact that you can strongly influence the the way questions are responded to by how you frame the question. The pollers could be responsible.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Jon Stewart’s recent Weekly Show podcast about the Two Party system and why we don’t ever see a strong third party candidate has a guest who brought up a point I haven’t heard discussed in detail before. The guest mentioned how the founding fathers built the system with a concern that the future power struggles would be between the three branches of government without expecting that political party affiliation would be significant factor.

I’m sure most of us schooled in the US have heard about the importance of checks and balances, so I’m not surprised they were concerned about power in the branches. But I’m so conditioned to expect the battle between parties that it’s hard to imagine a time in history where that wouldn’t have been considered as part of the system design.

It’s worth a listen if you enjoy such things.