Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of american democracy?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't want big government running my _____________

It's much better in the hands of (checks notes) PUBLICLY TRADED PRIVATE ENERGY COMPANIES :rofl:

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.

English said he unenrolled their thermostat as soon as he found out.
“I wouldn’t want anybody else controlling my things for me,” he said.
A scroll through a Houston Reddit board shows English is not alone. Several others said they found out during this week’s heatwave that their thermostats were being accessed, and turned up, remotely.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

It's much better in the hands of (checks notes) PUBLICLY TRADED PRIVATE ENERGY COMPANIES :rofl:

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.

A scroll through a Houston Reddit board shows English is not alone. Several others said they found out during this week’s heatwave that their thermostats were being accessed, and turned up, remotely.
Reading comprehension not one of English's strong suits, apparently.

Then again, who doesn't love a sweepstakes, amirite??

:disgust:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't know, I'm sure that clause was buried somewhere and designed to be missed. I don't fault the people who signed up for it as much as the regulation-free somalian texas hellscape elected officials are continually shooting for.
I suppose that's possible.

We have a similar thing here that Xcel Energy does, called the "Saver's Switch" that controls the A/C compressor via a "remote box" instead of the actual thermostat.

I get a yearly discount for allowing them to cycle my compressor during peak energy use periods in the summer.

Since we basically don't use our A/C in the summer, it was a no-brainer, but I *did* know what I was signing up for.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
cnn is such a piece of shit

I do not want to "hear their stories"

The NYT made a likeable, acceptable down to earth humanized nazi out of richard fucking spencer. These moron 'news' agencies are highly responsible for continuing this cycle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

a quote from elsewhere:

"During a demand-response event, Smart Savers Texas increases the temperature on participating thermostats by up to 4 degrees to reduce energy consumption and relieve stress on the grid," Erika Diamond, EnergyHub's vice president of customer solutions, told Insider, adding that "the ability to reduce energy consumption is critical to managing the grid, in Texas and nationwide."

:clue::rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Failed state

TLDR:

Southwest air employee attends mandatory training during covid
gets it and brings it home

Husband gets it an dies

employee sues over lax protocols in place for training

Judge says "that's a solid case, however we can't proceed with it because it would mean other cases and golly gee that would be wacky so fuck off"

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Barring a miracle...looks like 2022 and 2024 are in the bag.

Y'all are fucked.

With the rest of us not far behind.

:mad:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Barring a miracle...looks like 2022 and 2024 are in the bag.

Y'all are fucked.

With the rest of us not far behind.

:mad:
It's 100% too late. It's over. If Republican's don't win the election, they will steal it. They are very well organized and Democrats are doing nothing to protect democracy. The John Lewis Voting Rights Act is DOA, and Jolting Joe is fulfilling has campaign promise that "nothing will fundamentally change". They could not be more pathetic. Thanks to Manchin and Sinema they are tripping over themselves to get anything done. They look like a clown show. They won't legalizes weed. They won't get rid of the filibuster. They wont forgive student loans. Fuck all for a public option or health care improvement. Not only are the fascists taking over, but the democrats seem to be actively giving away the game. We are already in a very scary time in American history and it's clearly going to get a LOT worse.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's 100% too late. It's over. If Republican's don't win the election, they will steal it. They are very well organized and Democrats are doing nothing to protect democracy. The John Lewis Voting Rights Act is DOA, and Jolting Joe is fulfilling has campaign promise that "nothing will fundamentally change". They could not be more pathetic. Thanks to Manchin and Sinema they are tripping over themselves to get anything done. They look like a clown show. They won't legalizes weed. They won't get rid of the filibuster. They wont forgive student loans. Fuck all for a public option or health care improvement. Not only are the fascists taking over, but the democrats seem to be actively giving away the game. We are already in a very scary time in American history and it's clearly going to get a LOT worse.
But guys!!

:rofl:

FEhHEgRWYAE1V6t.jpg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I have got two email newsletters recently at work, both kind of industry news roundups things, very sober publications, having links to articles explicitly about planning for the collapse of democracy in the US. Wow.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have got two email newsletters recently at work, both kind of industry news roundups things, very sober publications, having links to articles explicitly about planning for the collapse of democracy in the US. Wow.
bah, it's not like vicious capitalism is going anywhere. In fact it may get even more market and trade-based.

I mean...........

BTC -> HODL. Done.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Well don't leave us hanging. Share that shit!
If I remember I’ll try and drag them out tomorrow. The actual articles weren’t very exciting, one was a dude opining about that it was now likely to actually, really happen and the other was a investment portfolio risk thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
right now its mostly manchin the moron
No it's mostly pelosi for not listening to the squad when they told her both bills had to be held together. She's a moron for thinking joe manchin was going to do anything other than what joe manchin does. Or she too knew this would happen and just doesn't give a shit because she made another cool million in the stock market.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No it's mostly pelosi for not listening to the squad when they told her both bills had to be held together. She's a moron for thinking joe manchin was going to do anything other than what joe manchin does. Or she too knew this would happen and just doesn't give a shit because she made another cool million in the stock market.
i'm gonna go google if DC will be underwater from the climate wars