Quantcast

Are We Witnessing the Death of Self-Powered Cycling?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think so.
I do see biking changing and full sleds will be soon if not already...I know 2 guys who have converted canfield one.2 to pedal assist already
.Matt aka San clemente jump line dude (60 yr old 2 hip replacements and RIPS! Ex pro motocross rider and desert), has his marin converted and reduced hes doing a design like it for a bigger bikes..

He shuttled 3 times to my 1...plus he had tons of energy when coming back down and to set up his suspension since he wasn't tired...

I can see a place for it, not to mention he barely pedaled and came out of a berm so FAST he brake checked the gaps where we have to push harder

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
meh

dh bikes rule

What you're lamenting is the loss of cycling. Even since the 90s, gravity has always one upped whatever I've been able to do.

But basic bicycles will always be rad. Because walking is stupid and 'hiking' as an activity is well.......that

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one week in the new job. about 80% of all bikes that sold were electric, most of them got shipped. the future is electric and your friendly lbs is online.
you're in the EU, no? i've read they make a higher percentage of the sales volume in the EU in large part because of commuter ebikes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Negatory.

We will see improvements in trail signage, to help prevent clowns from trying to go up downhill primary trails.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
E-bikes are illegal on public lands in Washington unless otherwise specified. There are two trails systems in the area that allow them. However that doesn't stop people from breaking the rules and I see at least one person riding one every time I ride. With the exception of one asshole who I saw blowing past people on a climb screaming for people to get out of his way it hasn't been a problem. However since the pandemic I would say that the trails have become overcrowded and I see the first step in limiting that is removing illegal users.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Good points, though I personally do not want increased LEO activity on my local public lands.

Signage and advocacy groups promoting trail etiquette would be my preference.

E-bikes are illegal on public lands in Washington unless otherwise specified. There are two trails systems in the area that allow them. However that doesn't stop people from breaking the rules and I see at least one person riding one every time I ride. With the exception of one asshole who I saw blowing past people on a climb screaming for people to get out of his way it hasn't been a problem. However since the pandemic I would say that the trails have become overcrowded and I see the first step in limiting that is removing illegal users.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
These are always heart warming stories, but "old guy who used to rip on moto" is a tiny minority of people I see riding eMTB.

I do see biking changing and full sleds will be soon if not already...I know 2 guys who have converted canfield one.2 to pedal assist already
.Matt aka San clemente jump line dude (60 yr old 2 hip replacements and RIPS! Ex pro motocross rider and desert), has his marin converted and reduced hes doing a design like it for a bigger bikes..

He shuttled 3 times to my 1...plus he had tons of energy when coming back down and to set up his suspension since he wasn't tired...

I can see a place for it, not to mention he barely pedaled and came out of a berm so FAST he brake checked the gaps where we have to push harder

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
These are always heart warming stories, but "old guy who used to rip on moto" is a tiny minority of people I see riding eMTB.
I see old guys on the legal eMTB trails. The poachers look like bros.

I wish their was more enforcement near our trails. Trailhead parking is paved with broken glass from car prowlers. But the only laws enforced around here is via parking tickets.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
quite a few e-mtbs in the mix, but yes, commuters are huge. as is our storage. we won‘t sell out anytime soon, unlike a lot of competitors
e-bikes for commuters have been a thing in the eu going on 10 years now. Recall circa 2012 a friend in switzerland talking about how he liked the idea because it meant you could arrive at work quickly, riding out in the open and w/o a sweat. And this guy is definitely someone who doesn't need the motor.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yes, you are probably witnessing the demise of the acoustic/self powered bike. But they will never go away. People will learn there are pros and cons to each. And hopefully maybe have one of each. And a DH bike, and a trail bike, and, and, and.... :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There will always be pedal bikes, but there is no question in my mind that more late starters will go straight to e-bikes, particularly as they get better and less expensive. I'm not crazy about what that means for the collective experience on the trails, including access/conflict/etiquette issues, but resistance is futile. It's really only a difference of degree, sort of like people who think everyone should learn to ride on hardtails. Good luck with that!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I now see more e-bikes than non-mopeds at my closest trail network. There are some old rippers that have gotten a new lease on riding-life from them, but the vast majority don't fit that mold. Some are bros/typical riders who have gone the e-bike route to get more laps in. The biggest problem with that group is from the explosion of Youtubers during Covid which has led to our spot getting a massive influx of out-of-area riders. We went from ~20-30 cars on a typical Sat/Sun to ~200+, with a large percentage of those being bros showing up with trucks full of e-bikes. Many aren't the "slow down and be nice to the hikers and equestrians" type, which leads to trail conflict. Then there's another set of folks who are new to the sport entirely and getting into it with an e-bike. These folks are riding our illicit trails that are way above their paygrade and getting heli'd out. The result has been a massive increase in law enforcement activity - ATVs and motos working with a heli to hand out tickets. I expect we'll have a bunch of trails razed again soon. The one plus is that e-bikes are making it easier for trail builders to get new stuff built.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I now see more e-bikes than non-mopeds at my closest trail network. There are some old rippers that have gotten a new lease on riding-life from them, but the vast majority don't fit that mold. Some are bros/typical riders who have gone the e-bike route to get more laps in. The biggest problem with that group is from the explosion of Youtubers during Covid which has led to our spot getting a massive influx of out-of-area riders. We went from ~20-30 cars on a typical Sat/Sun to ~200+, with a large percentage of those being bros showing up with trucks full of e-bikes. Many aren't the "slow down and be nice to the hikers and equestrians" type, which leads to trail conflict. Then there's another set of folks who are new to the sport entirely and getting into it with an e-bike. These folks are riding our illicit trails that are way above their paygrade and getting heli'd out. The result has been a massive increase in law enforcement activity - ATVs and motos working with a heli to hand out tickets. I expect we'll have a bunch of trails razed again soon. The one plus is that e-bikes are making it easier for trail builders to get new stuff built.
this is happening around here - although not to the same degree. and not just with ebikes. more joeys and gapers clogging up trails. was a driving factor in getting a season pass to the bike park to ride DH again this summer.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I just wish they would call them what they are - motorcycles.
You can try to parse it anyway you want with any interpretation you want, but in the end, if it has a motor, it is a motorcycle.

At this point, I have no interest in them, but at 57 this year, I can see a time not too distant that I will be all over the concept. Until that time, you will find me on my bicycle.

I'll get me coat.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The only good part about ebikes is that they destroy all the KOMs for people on pedal bikes, or so I have heard. :butcher:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
e-bikes for commuters have been a thing in the eu going on 10 years now. Recall circa 2012 a friend in switzerland talking about how he liked the idea because it meant you could arrive at work quickly, riding out in the open and w/o a sweat. And this guy is definitely someone who doesn't need the motor.
To get more people to not use their cars is a great thing and I can understand the reasoning for using ebikes as commuters. Here in Denmark we have these popular transport cycles (e.g. https://www.ladcyklen.dk/ladcykel.html), which are a bitch to pedal if fully loaded with kids, groceries and such. The addition of an electric motor makes them a serious alternative to a car in the city for everyone.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yes, you are probably witnessing the demise of the acoustic/self powered bike. But they will never go away. People will learn there are pros and cons to each. And hopefully maybe have one of each. And a DH bike, and a trail bike, and, and, and.... :D
I really doubt anyone who is honest with themselves has done a ride on an e-bike and actually hated it, provided they rode a decent one. The fun ratios on those things is right up there.

I'm not really in the market for one myself yet as I enjoy travelling with my bike and doing silly events that don't quite work with batteries and logistics but you gotta see the appeal, especially as the MTB demographic gets older and older.

I imagine we will see a design shortly using the battery to power the motor, shifting and possibly suspension control. A huge amount of modern MTBers don't even work on their bikes themselves anymore so loss of user serviceability won't be a hindrance as that market grows.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My Pivot Shuttle has Di2. No separate Di2 battery--all off the main battery.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I really doubt anyone who is honest with themselves has done a ride on an e-bike and actually hated it, provided they rode a decent one. The fun ratios on those things is right up there.

I'm not really in the market for one myself yet as I enjoy travelling with my bike and doing silly events that don't quite work with batteries and logistics but you gotta see the appeal, especially as the MTB demographic gets older and older.

I imagine we will see a design shortly using the battery to power the motor, shifting and possibly suspension control. A huge amount of modern MTBers don't even work on their bikes themselves anymore so loss of user serviceability won't be a hindrance as that market grows.
i hate charging my phone, talk less of making sure my bike is charged so I can go for a ride! I’m sure it’s fun, but I’d hate to own one.