Quantcast

Are We Witnessing the Death of Self-Powered Cycling?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
quality bike designs + weights in the low 30s = ebikes will be everywhere.

Honestly I think I'd be more open to an ebike if it had a more limited assist with MUCH less weight/clunk. Take the worst of the worst off, not the work of the climb, and add minimum weight.
Yeah. That already exists. Get yer credit card out!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yes, you are probably witnessing the demise of the acoustic/self powered bike. But they will never go away. People will learn there are pros and cons to each. And hopefully maybe have one of each. And a DH bike, and a trail bike, and, and, and.... :D
We need MTV to bring Unplugged back from the death. Then we could put together a MTB series where old hags ride against each other on acoustic bikes.

Mine is the one hung with the Dobro guitar, on the left.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
quality bike designs + weights in the low 30s = ebikes will be everywhere.

Honestly I think I'd be more open to an ebike if it had a more limited assist with MUCH less weight/clunk. Take the worst of the worst off, not the work of the climb, and add minimum weight.
orbea, rotwild and specialized make bikes like that (dunno if there are more brands out there in the light ebike category)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
36 pounds with 70 miles of range (depending on trail difficulty) are my magic numbers before I plunk down cash.
We're not that far from that at all. But trail difficulty is only one factor in range, you also need to consider the weight of the rider, which mode you're using (if any) for some of those miles, etc. That's why mileage estimates should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm around 195 lbs, and all else being equal you better believe I get way less range than my lady shredder, who is more like 115.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You've obviously never seen what the OGR looks like

I think his biceps might be as big as your quads
No, I haven't and that could very well be. But maybe if he had quads the size of his biceps he would not need an e-bike? ;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No, I haven't and that could very well be. But maybe if he had quads the size of his biceps he would not need an e-bike? ;)
Ha, nice. I don't actually own an e-mtb. I'm not really an early adopter and I'm waiting a bit longer. I don't need one but definitely want one, and will probably pull the trigger on one within the next year. Guess we'll just have to see what happens to my quads then. :thumb:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm just waiting for the unnecessary cranks to disappear
Kade Edwards has been playing around on an electric trials bike that looks like mad fun. Somehow half the price of an e-bike and roughly 7 billion times more rad.

36 pounds with 70 miles of range (depending on trail difficulty) are my magic numbers before I plunk down cash.
They're getting close - https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/mountain-bike/a30756139/specialized-levo-sl-review/

A couple years from now I think they'll be there.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
if tesla ever allows the 4680 cells on the free market these could be quite interesting for slimmer, lighter ebike designs

2 rows of these cells in a similar arrangement like this in the downtube:

1617744877770.jpeg

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
if tesla ever allows the 4680 cells on the free market these could be quite interesting for slimmer, lighter ebike designs

2 rows of these cells in a similar arrangement like this in the downtube:

View attachment 158696
Ugh Tesla.......

Not that anyone is wondering, but the 4680 cell was developed at Dalhousie in Halifax from the preeminent authorities in battery technology. But because money, marketing, and partnerships, somehow the world thinks that Tesla and the Antisemite are geniuses.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is a network of heavily trafficked bike paths around here. The introduction of e-bikes was starting to make them super sketchy. Lots of people with neither the experience or ability to normally go over 20 mph buzzing around other cyclists, joggers, dog walkers. I have avoided it like the plague for the past two years, can't imagine what it is like now.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Ugh Tesla.......

Not that anyone is wondering, but the 4680 cell was developed at Dalhousie in Halifax from the preeminent authorities in battery technology. But because money, marketing, and partnerships, somehow the world thinks that Tesla and the Antisemite are geniuses.....
imho only the chemistry inside, do you have more info that they also developed the cell and the tabs tesla has the patent on?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Why on earth do you want 70m of battery range?

Give me the lightest possible battery that just barely gets me to the top of my after work ride climb. Battery to cover 7 miles of range is much more realistic on someone's daily use. Modular battery system makes more sense to me.

I've been riding a e-kit on my commuter for a couple years now and you can pry it from my cold dead hands when I die. Our two e-cargo bikes has replaced most all use of our car year round here in Vancouver.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Why on earth do you want 70m of battery range?

Give me the lightest possible battery that just barely gets me to the top of my after work ride climb. Battery to cover 7 miles of range is much more realistic on someone's daily use. Modular battery system makes more sense to me.
I'm with stupid. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I'm with stupid. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Everything I read before I bought mine was "buy the biggest battery you can" so I bought a pretty big battery...I never drain it in a days ride. Now I'd much rather have that same battery in 2 or 3 smaller units.

Guys have taken the Levo SL and pulled out the frame battery and ran it just on the smaller range extender, this and the Lappierre that Nico designed are smarter use from my perspective.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like moar range, but really a mileage rating is kind of useless unless you specify elevation, rider weight, ride mode, etc. To use Shimano terminology, a super light rider in eco mode on flat/rolling terrain might get 70 miles while a heavier rider in trail or boost mode on steep terrain on the same bike will get way less.

The batteries will continue to get better but I'm hoping for more modular battery systems and range extenders to allow you to more easily tailor the amount of battery you carry around to the ride at hand, weight of the rider, etc. I've done a couple rides where one battery was not enough, but two was way more than needed and definitely more than I wanted to carry. (That shit is heavy. Yes, even when you've got a motor. For the moment they also take up an unacceptable amount of beer space.)