Quantcast

Are We Witnessing the Death of Self-Powered Cycling?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
doing an apples to apples thing here, talking about mountain bikes vs mountain ebikes
Actually do it then.
You'll generally find the price of any brands Emtb right around two to two and a half grand more than the equivalent mtb if the same spec in their range.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I quite enjoy poking fun at folks who post eleventy million cycling related thoughts and opinions on the Internet but very rarely ever ride a bicycle any MOAR...
You often find they also be like...
1617973996585.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well @kidwoo is all set now with his moped

Jackass Ridge Trails (rename pending)

I suggested "sombitch holler"

Here's what happened last time they tried that.

I'm not sure how this is any different other than most of the trails listed are fairly new trails. There's one on there in particular that is probably going to get them sued again. Because karen has money.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Some good stuff here

1) I miss DH races (and being young enough to train, party and take chances. Not necessarily in that order.)
1.5) I miss having the time to hang with bros building and riding and progressing. I'm an adult/family guy now. See Number 4.
2) You East Coaster are crazy. I think our Mountain States Cup races didn't party as hard.
3) ebikes are just another bike in your quiver. Like a 29er. Don't hate.
4) Even though we have grown up and now know better, there's a whole new generation of kids doing just what we did. God help them. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some good stuff here

1) I miss DH races (and being young enough to train, party and take chances. Not necessarily in that order.)
1.5) I miss having the time to hang with bros building and riding and progressing. I'm an adult/family guy now. See Number 4.
2) You East Coaster are crazy. I think our Mountain States Cup races didn't party as hard.
3) ebikes are just another bike in your quiver. Like a 29er. Don't hate.
4) Even though we have grown up and now know better, there's a whole new generation of kids doing just what we did. God help them. :D
all this talk of ebikes, and i'm over here getting my DH bike ready for the summer because i bought a season pass to the bike park instead of a moped.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well, as long as you aren't that guy climbing back up those same downhill trails cause it's just so much easier now.
I'm that guy who helped dig those DH tracks almost 30 years ago. and pushed shitty heavy DH bikes up them hundreds of times.
I'll do whatever the fuck I feel like* thanks.

*As always, making sure I'm not putting myself or my bike in a position to put anyone in danger or piss anyone off.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
all this talk of ebikes, and i'm over here getting my DH bike ready for the summer because i bought a season pass to the bike park instead of a moped.
WTF is "getting a DH bike ready" meant to mean?
I'm just back from a 2hr ride on my Capra. Getting it ready for tomorrows all day ride. if you like.

ride your fucking bike instead of stroking it

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm just back from a 2hr ride on my Capra. Getting it ready for tomorrows all day ride. if you like.

What's wrong about owning and riding a DH bike in a bike park and making sure it is mechanically OK before your first ride?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

hasn't seen regular use in a few years. fresh bearings in the frame, fresh tires, cushcore, lacing up some new rims. maybe new grips?

have you ever owned a DH bike? those things take some abuse. and maintenance to not wind up fully clapped out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm that guy who helped dig those DH tracks almost 30 years ago. and pushed shitty heavy DH bikes up them hundreds of times.
I'll do whatever the fuck I feel like* thanks.

*As always, making sure I'm not putting myself or my bike in a position to put anyone in danger or piss anyone off.
If you can do it safely, have at it, but my old stomping grounds was the unfortunate victim of e-bikers using their pedal assisted climbing prowess to ascend directional, downhill trails when it was not safe to do so, then having the gall to get all huffy about uphill traffic having the right of way.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What's wrong about owning and riding a DH bike in a bike park and making sure it is mechanically OK before your first ride?
Nothing at all. but you probably shouldn't also moan about not having any time to ride ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
have you ever owned a DH bike?
are you kidding?

I own two. Both are ready to ride. I generally sort them out straight after washing them at the end of each ride.
Have you any idea what riding DH in Scotland involves?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I’m afraid this is what a lot of city dwellers face. Not e-bike specific... but loading up the bike to sit in traffic for an hour, to ride 90 minutes and then back to town. You just spent 120minutes in soul-crushing traffic to ride 90 minutes. This doesn’t make sense for a lot of folk, particularly those with families, friends, jobs. Definitely doesn’t work for me.

Remember fondly the days as a kid when I could be riding dirt in exactly 1 minute from my house... and ride for at least 90 minutes on trails. All the local riders would pass by my house since it was on the way to the trails. That was something else!
When I lived in town and was short on time for a ride I took the cross bike for a mixed pavement/gravel loop through the local parks and city forests or went to the skatepark with the DJ.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
what is uttery stupid is not realising how much more descending you can do on an Ebike.
And not realising everyone has different priorities.
Fair point about priorities. However, I can't hear the whining of colleagues and friends anymore about how little time they have to ride their bikes, but then spend 2-3x their riding time in a car to get to a trail. Besides Copenhagen I don't think there is any city in DK where you can't be on gravel or trails within 30 minutes from where you live under your own power.

Just over half an hours drive from me is an area with 900ft climbs and litterally hundreds of EWS level enduro trails. In ONE hour I can climb 3600ft and take in 4 different technical descents.
Even for a fit rider that same 10mile ride on a normal bike would take about 2.5 hours or to put it another way if the rider only had an hour to spare they'd be lucky to get HALF the descending in from that one hour of driving time. THAT actually is a game changer if you're short of time.
This used to be a downhill forum.
You are telling me that they are not motorcycles but that the ebike is 2.5x faster. :rolleyes: Pedal "assist" :pleasantry: much?
Like I said before, a Sur Ron sounds like fun for this kind or use.

Sometimes I'll actually take my Emtb AND my normal Enduro bike and ride them back to back. (eg. Emtb in the morning Enduro in the afternoon or vice versa) You're sounding like the sort of judgemental prick who'd assume they were somehow "better" while being passed on a climb by a friendly guy out happily riding his Emtb who'll still going to be out riding when you've finished your ride and already driven home. Kinda ironic, huh?
Not that it matters a fuck how or why other folk ride their bikes. motor or not.
Of course I am a judgemental prick, otherwise I would not hang out here!
Why is the other guy still out riding when you previously told me that he is 2.5x faster than me? Would he not be done earlier? And he hasn't much time on his hands anyway, that is why he rides an e-bike to get more miles in, or? ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fair point about priorities. However, I can't hear the whining of colleagues and friends anymore about how little time they have to ride their bikes, but then spend 2-3x their riding time in a car to get to a trail. Besides Copenhagen I don't think there is any city in DK where you can't be on gravel or trails within 30 minutes from where you live under your own power.
when i have to drive to ride, i ensure my trail time exceeds my drive time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You are telling me that they are not motorcycles but that the ebike is 2.5x faster
Yes. If climbing 900ft in one mile 4 times your average climbing speed can generally be as low as 4-5mph. An EMTB in trail or boost you can hold 15mph. And I'm not even taking into account the steeper sections where its tempting to just get off and push a normal bike

I don't think anyone's going to be winning Pikes peak hill climb on an Ebike. But call it a motorbike if it makes you happy/smug

I have miles and miles of gravel bikeable trails starting from my front door. I find gravel riding shite and would far rather go out on my roadbike to that. Each to their own though, eh?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I lost track. Has the DH forum concluded that pedaling is dead?
Apparently a bunch of guys who spent the last 20 years using shuttle trucks and chairlifts have decided that installing a small electric motor on the bike itself for doing the same job and allowing access to trails that can't be shuttled or lift accessed constitutes "cheating" and is an abomination. I think we need to contact the Westboro Baptist church for their stance on the matter.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Joe and I need to get some more rakes. Or maybe like a leaf blower or something but for like dollar billz. Gonna get so rich and basically like colonize the all the passionate bicyclists.

9F49374E-F29C-4829-902E-0DFEC25376C2.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes. If climbing 900ft in one mile 4 times your average climbing speed can generally be as low as 4-5mph. An EMTB in trail or boost you can hold 15mph. And I'm not even taking into account the steeper sections where its tempting to just get off and push a normal bike

I don't think anyone's going to be winning Pikes peak hill climb on an Ebike. But call it a motorbike if it makes you happy/smug
That is my point. This not just "pedal assist", this is proper power like a motorcycle. My mom's city ebike is pedal assist. She goes at a similar speed as before, but is less fatigued upon arrival. She is over 80 y/o.

I have miles and miles of gravel bikeable trails starting from my front door. I find gravel riding shite and would far rather go out on my roadbike to that. Each to their own though, eh?
Why not both?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That is my point. This not just "pedal assist", this is proper power like a motorcycle. My mom's city ebike is pedal assist. She goes at a similar speed as before, but is less fatigued upon arrival. She is over 80 y/o.
No. That is the very definition of "pedal assist"... I'm still outputting a decent wattage... and my HR is still up in a fairly high zone. The bike is simply adding MY effort. I guess you've had no real time riding an emtb?

Why not both?
Why not both what?