Quantcast

Are We Witnessing the Death of Self-Powered Cycling?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
E-bikes are creating a whole new slew of BB/crank/battery and other standards. I thought this kind of stuff is what is driving people away from the sport.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
That is my point. This not just "pedal assist", this is proper power like a motorcycle.
The term moped (/ˈmoʊpɛd/ MOH-ped) originally referred to a type of small motorcycle with both a motorcycle engine and bicycle pedals, generally having a less stringent licensing requirement than full motorcycles or automobiles. The term is now often used to mean a similar vehicle except with no pedals. Mopeds typically travel only a bit faster than bicycles on public roads

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Unless, of course, you want to go 100mph in the desert.
I think electric will probably find a way to do this just fine. As battery energy density gets better, with a few battery swaps this will likely be a reality.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
dirt arms

I know that look

That's the end of a work day or somebody just ate shit

is that a purse or a battery stuck to your tramp stamp?
workday....

Stamp Cover. I’m tired of explaining to people that, I love dolphins.

But actually,
Aosta, Italy is a lot like Northstar. If you follow close enough and it is hot enough you will have the dirty stash and matching arms. Who needs to see below the axles anyways.

It was work and I’ve never ridden that much in 2 days. Luckily no crashes in spite of all my pedal clipping attempts.

I’ll put on wtf ever my boss wants me to during his shoots. The Scott catalog photos posing as a skier or road biker hurt my snowflake way more than a fanny pack. The fanny pack was empty actually and I had to take off my backpack for every shot and put on the tramp stamp over.

No pride
47B6A999-7498-4F35-BD5E-DA6F5540D48D.jpeg

That Ebike shoot trip was fucking sweet though!
6DC7FC97-DD80-4F3D-89BB-4A82FE55B62B.jpeg

988614ED-CD6B-469C-A16C-D35E5F19CF11.jpeg

F8E902D6-6D95-43C6-90BD-C9C03F36F5E9.jpeg

63F18EE8-E521-4836-997B-74DA4D214079.jpeg

That thing is so long and heavy, i mean stable..... I felt like Baltimore Benny.
075A0F68-A841-47E7-B831-C6B7D2D3722D.jpeg

@errbody - The range stuff doesn’t mean shit. The more you push with your legs the farther you go just like a normal bike.

Attachments

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No. That is the very definition of "pedal assist"... I'm still outputting a decent wattage... and my HR is still up in a fairly high zone. The bike is simply adding MY effort. I guess you've had no real time riding an emtb?
If at work you assist someone in their task but in reality you do 70% of the work, do you still assist the other person or does the other person assist you?

Why not both what?
Gravel and road.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If at work you assist someone in their task but in reality you do 70% of the work, do you still assist the other person or does the other person assist you?
On regular rides with a typical effort from me + Trail Mode on the Shimano system I reckon I'm putting out more than half of the total energy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Who the fuck cares?

I rode my Ebike today to give myself a wee rest as I've been on my normal Enduro bike for a 4 hour ride each off the previous two days with guys 20 years younger. Today's was another 4 hour long ride also with a 20 year younger rider and on climbs I rode the bike either switched off or in Eco. HR based calorie burn was still 1000kcal but my legs should be fresher for tomorrows 30 mile off road commute.

I have no idea what you do or who you work with but I can tell you every time I've worked with a whiney cock bag who sticks his nose in and spends their time complaining about others he's always the cunt nobody likes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gravel and road.
As I said I find gravel riding shite. The bikes tend to be heavy and lifeless in comparison to a nice fast roadbike and drop bars off road just kill almost all of the bike's playfulness, not to mention the flimsy tyres.
I have pretty much always done exactly the sort of routes/rides many folk do on their gravel bikes using a hardtail so at least then if I find myself on some interesting terrain or a long descent I can have a proper fuck about to brighten up the ride. Even just popping the odd wheelie/manny. My current hardtail is a Dartmoor 4X built pretty light with fast rolling dirtjump tyres and has a 500mm seat post so it can be ridden seated making it pretty versatile.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not that I give a shit either way, buuut next time someone wants to argue that the old "they're motorbikes" line one way or the other - pointing out the companies that decided to get involved is sure to ruffle people.

There's obviously more, but just something to stir the pot.

Actually wondering if any of the moto companies will put out a "good" ebike. Maybe they are ok, but you think their R&D budgets would let them totally bury conventional bicycle companies if they tried.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not that I give a shit either way, buuut next time someone wants to argue that the old "they're motorbikes" line one way or the other - pointing out the companies that decided to get involved is sure to ruffle people.

There's obviously more, but just something to stir the pot.

Actually wondering if any of the moto companies will put out a "good" ebike. Maybe they are ok, but you think their R&D budgets would let them totally bury conventional bicycle companies if they tried.
:twitch:

1618605271297.png

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nah, that is sure to backfire: "See? If, Yamaha, Ducati, and Husky are making them, they must be motorcycles." :rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look at what we've become. Is/isn't motorbike.......who cares.

We're only doing this because of shitty, wealthy non-profits who claim to protect the environment while jetsetting all over the planet to their next feelgood conference with the forest services' balls in their purses.

"oh no, we're not THOSE people!" :rofl:

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
We're only doing this because of shitty, wealthy non-profits who claim to protect the environment while jetsetting all over the planet to their next feelgood conference with the forest services' balls in their purses.
A lot of the people that matter in the Forest Service are actually pro e-bike. At least in our district.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A lot of the people that matter in the Forest Service are actually pro e-bike. At least in our district.
That's good. Now get them to the next stage and build some moto trails :D

Is that the Eldorado? The NEPA people there and the new supervisor live on planet earth.

But region 5, who oversees all the forests in CA does what future litigants want, and every future lawsuit goes to the regional office. The USFS in this state is a patsy to rich fucks who think they know how everyone else should live based on 'preservation' from their mansions 4 hrs away.

The point stands, it doesn't matter what specific state or forest you're in. We've all been around ebikes now whether we own one or not. They can go uphill and and on some flats faster than a pedal bike, but they're not going objectively faster than we have for years descending. The only reason we're whining about whether something is or isn't a motorcycle is either for ego/superiority or for access rights where we don't want to be associated with motors..... Most of us don't really care other than what it might mean for being kicked out of more places. And that's a product of the people who control the forest service.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
That's good. Now get them to the next stage and build some moto trails :D

Is that the Eldorado? The NEPA people there and the new supervisor live on planet earth.

But region 5, who oversees all the forests in CA does what future litigants want, and every future lawsuit goes to the regional office. The USFS in this state is a patsy to rich fucks who think they know how everyone else should live based on 'preservation' from their mansions 4 hrs away.
It's changing though. Look at Jackass/Big Chief etc being opened to e-bikes now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's changing though. Look at Jackass/Big Chief etc being opened to e-bikes now.
They got it designated as such only because it was a new trail. They're still not allowed on previously designated non-motorized trails.

You're not wrong I'm just trying to point out that access is such a touchy subject, that's the only tangible reason any of us give a shit about whether an ebike is considered a motorcycle or not.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The new norm is that any time you climb a hill on any kind of bike, everyone assumes you must be riding an eBike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was referencing this part.

Oh yeah, I'm dead serious about all that. Some of the best trails in the US are moto trails (monarch crest stuff, porcupine rim bits, downieville, tons of stuff in crested butte).

But mtbers are so scared of ebikes being considered motorcycles that they don't want to be associated with them for loss of trail access. I even made a stink about it years ago myself.

But the problem is not each other with a different kind of bike. The problem is the fuckwits who have so demonized motorcycles so much, that mountainbikers with ebikes clutch their pearls when it's pointed out they are on a motored cycle. Who cares what it's called. Make trails everyone can ride. If motos are fucking up your trails grade them better or build rock strewn alternates. Of course at least here all the bikers will gravitate towards that and then act like they own it......

And like I said earlier, we can all ban together against whiney equestrians and hikers who think they're better than everyone else.