Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
^^^^^^^^
Is this not, at the least, sedition?
I was wondering about that last night. If you are intentionally trying to leverage the US economy to default, violating the 14th amendment, how is that not?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Found this on Reddit. A very lulzy article from "American Conservative".

I cannot believe I’m saying this, but I hope the House flips to the Democrats in 2014, so we can be rid of these nuts. Let Ted Cruz sit in the Senate stewing in his precious bodily fluids, and let Washington get back to the business of governing.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
How the GOP Slowly Went Insane

I really enjoyed the tiger analogy.
It was pretty good, until this part:

America needs a strong, rational, positive, practical conservative movement. It needs that bulwark against liberal delusion and hubris. It needs a voice that says we are imperfect, that life is complex, that government can create need even as it meets need, that you can’t fix everything and freedom is worth some danger and sorrow.

That sounds to me like the Democrats.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
It was pretty good, until this part:

America needs a strong, rational, positive, practical conservative movement. It needs that bulwark against liberal delusion and hubris. It needs a voice that says we are imperfect, that life is complex, that government can create need even as it meets need, that you can’t fix everything and freedom is worth some danger and sorrow.

That sounds to me like the Democrats.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
If this is our zeitgeist, I'm okay with it.

There is more than a passing similarity between Joseph McCarthy and Ted Cruz, between McCarthyism and the Tea Party movement. The Republican Party survived McCarthyism because, ultimately, its excesses caused it to burn out. And eventually party elders in the mold of my grandfather were able to realign the party with its brand promise: The Republican Party is (or should be) the Stewardship Party. The Republican brand is (or should be) about responsible behavior. The Republican party is (or should be) at long last, about decency.

What a long way we have yet to go.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I said it before, 2014 is the Republican's last chance before they're confined to a minor party for YEARS to come. It's when they'll be defending far fewer seats than the Democrats in the Senate (thanks to Obama's wave election of '08), and 2016 will be a bloodbath for them. They'll be defending a whole host of Senate seats (24 by my count) vs 12 for the Democrats, and most of the Dem seats are solidly blue like California and New York. The Republicans will be defending places like PA, WI, FL and even Illinois. If the Democrats pick up senate seats in the states that Obama won in '12, they'll pick up *seven* seats. Sure, they might not win something like NH, but they'll almost certainly pick up OH, FL, WI and IL.

Democrats always turn out for presidential elections, and its why there's been this back and forth in power. By that token, the next opportunity for Republicans would be 2018, at which point demographics are going to start to take their toll.

But the real question is 2020. It'll be a presidential year, *AND* a census year. If Democrats turn out big (as usual), for the presidential race, they might have the opportunity to draw the maps in their favor, the same way the Republicans did in 2010.

Obviously anything can happen, and all it'll take is a plummeting economy to coincide with an election year and any predictions will go right out the window, but... I'd just say that the odds are *not* stacked in the GOP's favor over the long term.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I said it before, 2014 is the Republican's last chance before they're confined to a minor party for YEARS to come. It's when they'll be defending far fewer seats than the Democrats in the Senate (thanks to Obama's wave election of '08), and 2016 will be a bloodbath for them. They'll be defending a whole host of Senate seats (24 by my count) vs 12 for the Democrats, and most of the Dem seats are solidly blue like California and New York. The Republicans will be defending places like PA, WI, FL and even Illinois. If the Democrats pick up senate seats in the states that Obama won in '12, they'll pick up *seven* seats. Sure, they might not win something like NH, but they'll almost certainly pick up OH, FL, WI and IL.

Democrats always turn out for presidential elections, and its why there's been this back and forth in power. By that token, the next opportunity for Republicans would be 2018, at which point demographics are going to start to take their toll.

But the real question is 2020. It'll be a presidential year, *AND* a census year. If Democrats turn out big (as usual), for the presidential race, they might have the opportunity to draw the maps in their favor, the same way the Republicans did in 2010.

Obviously anything can happen, and all it'll take is a plummeting economy to coincide with an election year and any predictions will go right out the window, but... I'd just say that the odds are *not* stacked in the GOP's favor over the long term.
maybe they'll sew reagan's head onto palin's body

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
and he has an Ice Cubes chance in hell of getting elected

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2013/11/04/now-it-gets-interesting-tea-party-darling-tim-donnelly-to-enter-ca-2014-governors-race-tuesday/

Tea Party favorite California Assemblyman Tim Donnelly will make it official — and formally announce his run for governor Tuesday.

“I have traveled up and down the state over the last year talking with voters, and it’s clear to me that they want a new voice in politics,” said Donnelly’s statement. “Our current system has failed Californians.”

yeah and thats why in the last election the Democrats swept to a super majority in the state Senate and Assembly and took the Governorship and the GOP % of registered CA voters is 28%