Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At least CK realizes the depths of his depravity and seems somewhat contrite about the matter. Doesn't change what he's done or the impact it's had, but I have to give him some credit for admitting his mistakes.

These other assholes can't even acknowledge it and choose to slander their accusers. Maybe I'm talking shades of black here, but in my mind there's a distinction between CK and the rest.
a small distinction, but a distinction nonetheless. he did, however, fail to directly and explicitly apologize.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Admitting your mistakes only when caught isn't the same thing as realizing the depths of your depravity, imo.
Had this not come to light and caused the cancellation of his film he wouldn't have come clean.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
At least CK realizes the depths of his depravity and seems somewhat contrite about the matter. Doesn't change what he's done or the impact it's had, but I have to give him some credit for admitting his mistakes.

These other assholes can't even acknowledge it and choose to slander their accusers. Maybe I'm talking shades of black here, but in my mind there's a distinction between CK and the rest.
Louis C.K.'s apology was not much of one really. It was all about him and how he's learned from it. Most of these tools who abuse women are completely oblivious to the impact they have because everything is about them, always. The only difference between CK and the rest is he, for almost certainly self-centered reasons, felt compelled to speak publicly.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm so tired of this "story". If a candidate has these "values" plastered all over their campaign website, I just automatically assume they're closet homosexuals. It's so cliche now that if it was a storyline in a DC-based tv drama, I would dismiss it as abjectly unimaginative (ie - If you scream from roof tops you hate the gays, you probably like penis...in your mouth).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
From the party of family values, to the party of Animal House

Greene's complaint alleged that Farenthold liked redheads especially, "regularly drank to excess, and because of his tendency to flirt, the staffers who accompanied him to Capitol Hill functions would joke that they had to be on 'redhead patrol' to keep him out of trouble." Farenthold's lawyers denied that there client's attraction to redheads "was a source for, or cause of, concern for any staffer."
:rofl:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Exodus.

15% of house republicans are not seeking re-election.

Democrats need 24 seats to flip control of the House, and history, in addition to other promising signs, is on their side. Going back to World War II, the president's party loses an average of 28 seats in his first midterm election — and none of those happened with a president's approval rating as low as Trump's currently sits. The exception was in 2002, when the Republicans gained seats about a year after the Sept. 11 attacks.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Pfft. Everyone knows facts are just liberal talking points. Real Patriots just know things in their guts and hearts.
i have not had the flu since grade school....i have not had flu shot in my adult life that i can remember....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Came across this over on Reddit and it could not be more of the truth.
Other governments around the world work. They build infrastructure, invest in the safety and satisfaction of their citizens, and safeguard their well being and their future. Autocracies like China work. Social democracies like Denmark and Norway work. Mixed economies and democratic Republics like many other countries in Europe work. These countries have their flaws - but they work. They are all at least executing their vision for what they believe is best for their people, even if in the case of countries like China, it is more oppressive than it ought to be. But they work.

America's government doesn't work. It isn't our constitution or our economy or any other high-level ideological problem that cripples America.

It's Republicans. Republicans broke America. They continueto break it, through malicious effort and egregious incompetence both.

All you have to do is look through their voting record to see the truth. They are far more obstructionist than the Democrats have ever been. The Democrats are pathologically cooperative, even when they probably shouldbe resistant.

President Obama pulled the country out of a death spiral in 2008, and did a great job, under the circumstances, rebuilding the country.

Now imagine what he could have accomplished if Republicans hadn't obstinately sabotaged him and Democrats at every turn.

Then, when given the chance to prove Democrats wrong - when given every single branch of nearly every facet of government, what do they do?

They elect a fucking Russian puppet. They carve out vast chunks of our collective, social properties and toss them to unelectable, unimpeachable corporate monopolies - in essence, they strip the people of their power and give it to profit-seeking entities that reward elected officials with cash and opportunity.

Republicans steal the very power the people have over their government from the people, in exchange for bribes and cash. They do it for corporations. And the Trump administration is actually stealing our sovereign power and our democratic freedoms, and giving them to Russia, either for his own personal safety from their blackmail, or for financial gain in the form of the loans we know he's getting thanks to what his sons have said on record in years passed - we don't know which, and it is Republicansworking feverishly to ensure we, the people, never find out.

Republicans are obviously, manifestly the problem. You can pick apart any small flaws in the Democratic party - they are legion, sure, as any human endeavor has myriad flaws.

But Republicans are not a flawed organization that otherwise fulfills its functions.

Republicans are the antithesis of governance. They are a cancer on democracy, a toxin to society and civilization. They are a virulence that infects us with fascism, autocracy, and dysfunction.

Trump is only the barest, fattest manifestation of that truth

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Spineless.

Not sure how this will play for Mittens. Of the religious loonies who came out for Trump, the Mormons were, bye and large, not included.
Queued response:

"While I have not always agreed with President Trump in the past, I am a Republican first and foremost and intend to pursue a conservative agenda on behalf of the people of Utah. I will support him when our agendas overlap and work towards a better solution when they do not."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Queued response:

"While I have not always agreed with President Trump in the past, I am a Republican first and foremost and intend to pursue a conservative agenda on behalf of the people of Utah. I will support him when our agendas overlap and work towards a better solution when they do not."
translation: Party before country.