Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you're not really asking the right question.

try again, and factor in marriage/kids/income level/emotional maturity/property ownership

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Maybe I'll change one of these days... but I can't foresee any amount of income that would let me disregard my morals just because I want to see lower taxes or I suddenly feel like I earned my salary and nobody else is entitled to a penny.

My income has gone up in big chunks in the last 5 years and I'm okay with being in a higher tax bracket. Given my particular circumstances (e.g. skills in a growth field, propensity to live cheaply and save a lot, family who could help in worst case scenario) there's a strong possibility that I'm funding a lot of things I won't ever take advantage of. I'm okay with that, too.

I always wonder how many people really switch from liberal to conservative just because they have more assets or had kids. It just seems so foreign to me.

Maybe if there was some real conservative party that had basic fiscal conservative values without being comprised of stone age cretins with no education and lousy social ideals.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
you're not really asking the right question.

try again, and factor in marriage/kids/income level/emotional maturity/property ownership
Uh huh, yeah...the GOP has certainly exhibited an abundance of "emotional maturity" in the way they show their respect for the office of President. Or at least as much as they can muster for that black guy.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Oh and what kind of group of grown men with so much "emotional maturity" continue to be so damn concerned with what women do with their bodies and what kind of sex people are having ? News flash, if you can't stay out of other people's business you have little "emotional maturity".

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
^^ I went to a po-dunk coffee house here in NC a couple of years ago and was completely floored by the female owner's over the top religious views. She was adamant that women were not equal to men because they were created from Adam's rib and subsequently did not deserve the same pay. This attitude combined with the giant Bible laying on a table, has given me little desire to go back.

One day I hope to move out of the Bible belt...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^^ I went to a po-dunk coffee house here in NC a couple of years ago and was completely floored by the female owner's over the top religious views. She was adamant that women were not equal to men because they were created from Adam's rib and subsequently did not deserve the same pay. This attitude combined with the giant Bible laying on a table, has given me little desire to go back.

One day I hope to move out of the Bible belt...
i hope you didn't tip her

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The immigration anger will win republican seats for the midterm election, only scared old white people vote in those. 2016 will be a different story, they are going to have to pull a hard flip flop after that. Old people be dying, brown people be growing.
The thing is 2016 is going to be a bloodbath for Republicans. Working against them will be:

1) Presidential year. Democratic groups routinely vote in presidential years as opposed to midterms.
2) The Senate. Republicans will be defending all of the swing states that they won in the 2010 midterms, like PA, WI, IL, etc. Furthermore other swing states will be opening up as well, like NH, OH, NC, IA and maybe even Alaska. The only swing states Democrats will be defending are Colorado and W. Virginia.
3) Ongoing demographic changes. More brown people, fewer old white people.
4) Anything the Republicans do between now and then. If the Republicans get the Senate, it's going to be a hilarious 2 years. And by hilarious, I mean utter tragedy where they overreach, try to steer the country into a ditch, and show the American people how the Democrats are the only ones standing between them and another Bush...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The thing is 2016 is going to be a bloodbath for Republicans.
doubt it, due to enough agitprop over debt, illegal immigration, jobs, etc. (foreign policy is now a big yawn; everyone's war-weary & is getting a pat buchanan-esque "fcuk 'em all" attitude.

legitimately or not, if the froth can stay foamy for just 15 more months, this could shape up to be the 'pubs to lose. but never underestimate their stupidity/arrogance. if there's one thing they can deliver consistently, it's disappointment.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
doubt it, due to enough agitprop over debt, illegal immigration, jobs, etc. (foreign policy is now a big yawn; everyone's war-weary & is getting a pat buchanan-esque "fcuk 'em all" attitude.

legitimately or not, if the froth can stay foamy for just 15 more months, this could shape up to be the 'pubs to lose. but never underestimate their stupidity/arrogance. if there's one thing they can deliver consistently, it's disappointment.
that's a big "if". just look at how quickly they abandoned Clive "Captain America" Bundy.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Yeah, you and I must be hanging out with totally different sets of groups...

Current polling still has the public preferring a Democrat-controlled Congress.
Republican approval is underwater by 45% (23% approve, 68% disapprove
Which is worse than Democrats in Congress (32% approve, 60% disapprove)
Both of which are WAY worse than Obama's (41.8% approve, 54.5% disapprove)

There might be a lot of "froth" on the right, but I don't see it either bleeding into the rest of the voters *or* driving Americans into the arms of the Republicans. I mean, hell, McConnell's tied with the Democrat IN KENTUCKY. I think that the people watching Faux News are going to vote Republican no matter what, but there's enough energy (and pissed off people) on the Left that might actually make this a not-terrible year for the Democrats.

The only thing I can see happening that might change that is apathy and massive amounts of cash by Republicans. There doesn't seem to be apathy on the Left (or at least not anywhere near where it was in '10), and the Democrats seem to be raising craploads of cash as well. So it'll all depend on who actually turns up and votes in November.

And if this isn't a landslide for Republicans, they're going to be utterly doomed in 2 years...