Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That definitely makes me angry. Especially because I live in Alaska where all the water is melting.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ProLife on the campaign trail, ProChoice in the office.

Because if there is no God, who is the determiner of human rights and the value of human life? If there is no god, then man is the determiner of all things. Now which man is that? Well it happens to be the one with the biggest stick, which usually ends up being government because they have tanks and air force and they have an army. So I think it's scary if we put the power of determining human rights in the hands of the ruling class. So we need to return to the natural law.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Oh and they understand the US constitution so well...

County official: No 'ill intent' after calling for military coup against Obama

Washington (CNN) -- A county official in Missouri is scaling back her latest suggestion that American troops should overthrow President Barack Obama.

Jefferson County Recorder of Deeds Debbie Dunnegan called President Barack Obama "our domestic enemy" and suggested the U.S. Constitution would give the U.S. military the authority to oust the president in a coup d'état, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Wednesday.

"I cannot and do not understand why no action is being taken against our domestic enemy. I know he is supposedly the commander in chief, but the Constitution gives you the authority. What am I missing?" Dunnegan, a Republican, wrote in a since deleted Facebook post.

Military recruits pledge to defend the United States against "all enemies, foreign and domestic" when joining the armed forces.

And despite calling for a military insurrection to depose Obama, Dunnegan insisted she "meant no ill intent toward the president" in an interview with the Post-Dispatch.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/politics/missouri-county-official-military-coup-barack-obama/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh and they understand the US constitution so well...

County official: No 'ill intent' after calling for military coup against Obama

Washington (CNN) -- A county official in Missouri is scaling back her latest suggestion that American troops should overthrow President Barack Obama.

Jefferson County Recorder of Deeds Debbie Dunnegan called President Barack Obama "our domestic enemy" and suggested the U.S. Constitution would give the U.S. military the authority to oust the president in a coup d'état, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Wednesday.

"I cannot and do not understand why no action is being taken against our domestic enemy. I know he is supposedly the commander in chief, but the Constitution gives you the authority. What am I missing?" Dunnegan, a Republican, wrote in a since deleted Facebook post.

Military recruits pledge to defend the United States against "all enemies, foreign and domestic" when joining the armed forces.

And despite calling for a military insurrection to depose Obama, Dunnegan insisted she "meant no ill intent toward the president" in an interview with the Post-Dispatch.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/politics/missouri-county-official-military-coup-barack-obama/index.html?hpt=hp_t4
I said "with all due respect." - Ricky Bobby

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I posted this a while back on my FB:

Make your own Palin-Poem:
July 30, 2009 at 9:28am

The instructions are simple, take a few random phrases from her speech, put them together, and you have your own Palin poem! I was thinking that I'd have to add a few phrases of my own, but there's more than enough material here.

That big wild good life
It is as it is throughout all
continuing along the road north
to the future
in this last frontier
there is hope
securing it
hellbent on tearing down
perpetuating pessimism
our best days were yesterdays
but as other people have asked
for some...just some
exerting power
and that is why
quit makin things up
much good in store
further down the road
live the optimistic
resist enslavement
be wary
melting in to Washington's
caretaking arms
chart our own course
make us less free
because I love Alaska this much sir
I will be able to fight even harder
so leave his kids alone
the rugged hearty people
the best road trip
soaring through nature's finest show
Denali, the great one
under the midnight sun
then in the winter times, the extremes
it's the frozen road that is competing
ice-fogged frigid beauty
the cold though, doesn't it split the chachacos from the sourdoughs
and then in the summer time
such extremes
just 150° hotter than some months ago
then just some months from now
with firewheat blooming
merciless rivers that are rushing
and carving and reminding us
Mother Nature wins
need to really stick together
stiffen your spine
circusses from Hollywood
using a delicate tiny celebrity starlet
and by the way, we eat, therefore we hunt
I remember talking about and hoping for and dreaming for commercializing
what I promised, we accomplished
nothing could have succeeded without my right hand
there is much good in store further down the road
suck incentive to work hard
chart our own course
it does make us less free
I resisted the stimulus
beg the allowance to be self sufficient
it can't make you happy or healthy or wealthy or wise
it is the wisdom of the people
helping those who help themselves
we would be different
we would roll up our sleeves
we can dillgently sow and reap
is what our first people, and our parents did, it worked
develop god given resources
energy and prosperity
no one loves their clean air
the gatekeeper of the continent
some still are choosing not to hear
it should be so obvious
doggedly guard this state
as a grizzly guards it's cubs
it is impossible to lose your way
wherever the road may take you

Examples:

With firewheat blooming,
I will be able to fight harder than ever before,
It is the wisdom of the people,
Under the midnight sun,
Charting our own course,
Because there is much good in store further down the road.
Mother Nature wins,
While I rememer hoping and dreaming for commercializing.
Continuing along the road North.
That big wild good life
makes us less free
it should be obvious
Denali, the great one,
I resisted the stimulus...

There is so much good in store further down the road.

Merciless rivers that are rushing
Further down the road

Exerting power,
Stiffen your spine.
Mother Nature wins...
Mother Nature wins...
Mother Nature wins...

It's what our first people, and our parent did, it worked.

The best road trip!
In this last frontier,
It is impossible to lose your way,
But as other people have asked,
I resisted the stimulus.
We will chart our own course and resist the stimulus,
For there is much good in store further down the road.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?
Apparently not...

From a long-term perspective I don't think this actually changes anything at the federal level. Lots of people are going to vote in the 2016 election, and Democrats are going to win the presidency (probably) and the Senate back (probably). Republicans will be defending seats in:
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
Florida
Ohio
Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa

and Democrats will only be defending"
Colorado
Nevada

Considering those two are usually blue in a presidential year, Democrats could conceivably pick up 8 Senate seats and flip the chamber back to a healthy Dem majority. And until then, Democrats will just use the GOP playbook of block everything and then claim that they haven't done anything.

On a state level, this is much more depressing. 4 more years of Governor Drop-Out, and with the gerrymandered legislature it's doubtful we're going to even be able to pick up one of the chambers in 2016. And the worst thing is his running mate's even worse, so I can't even hope that he'll drop out to run for president...

edit: I'm mostly pissed at the turnout here and across the country. ~800k more people voted in 2008 and 2012 (3.1m to 2.3m) in Wisconsin than voted yesterday. Which is why we have both the US Senate's first lesbian senator *and* just reelected a guy who signed a forced vaginal ultrasound bill. :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's the thing though... now that the GOP has the reins on all of congress, i think we're going to see their true colors. and that's going to cause people to take a long hard look at the party.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
here's the thing though... now that the GOP has the reins on all of congress, i think we're going to see their true colors. and that's going to cause people to take a long hard look at the party.
But with Fox rolling full steam on "Blame the black guy" once congress puts all these crazy ass bills for him to not sign, the frothers will become even frothier.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Would be funny if Harry Reid let some of the crazy/unpopular stuff through solely so Obama could get the credit of vetoing it. Sort of like how the Democrats in the House voted present on the budget bill back in 2013 forcing the Republicans to go back and scuttle their own bill.

Democrats sit back and vote "present" while the GOP votes to kill Social Security/Medicare/etc... Already the Republicans are talking about trying to get a budget resolution passed by the end of the year so that they don't have to be the ones trying to get it passed.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Dante is right, and this is why:
No, I think we are just gearing up for 2 years of sue/impeach/pass crazy ass laws with no hope of signage. Good times.
Anyone who didn't see the Republican win coming this election cycle, wasn't paying attention. That said, unless the Republicans go on a major "dial back the crazy" campaign, which I highly doubt, 2016 is going to be a blood bath for them. In majority of cases, people voted in favor of legalizing marijuana, raising the minimum wage, and opposing attempts to outlaw abortion; all positions anathema to current GOP platform. Old white people turn out at mid terms, and old white people are going the way of the Dodo.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I knew the republicans were going to win. The scary part was the idea that the old voters would also vote down the weed and vote in some republicans in Oregon.

It's how we do.
http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/11/billionaires_pot_and_vampire_s.html

The marijuana legalization campaign had the luxury of controlling the advertising message that Oregon voters saw. The Yes on Measure 91 campaign spent about $2 million on TV ads, according to estimates from the Center for Public Integrity, compared to zip, zero, nada for opponents.

And what did the pot folks do with this big message advantage? They had a lot of stern grandparent types – a retired judge, some law enforcement folks, and a former top drug treatment official, to name a few.

These gray hairs may have seen Cheech and Chong on the college circuit in the '70s, but these spokespeople didn't give off a hint of stoner culture.