Quantcast

Are we witnessing the death of the Republican Party?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Don't underestimate the heirs of the old white people wanting to keep their inheritance.
Quite a large percentage of our customers are my age (45) or younger, Trusifarians and surprisingly conservative.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Old white people turn out at mid terms, and old white people are going the way of the Dodo.
See, this is why I oppose the ACA - it may delay some of these old buzzards from having a spaghetti dinner with the FSM.

But on a serious note, while angry old chalkies may be expiring, there's still plenty of young angry chalkies waiting in the wings - albeit, they will eventually be a minority in 20 or so years. [EDIT - sniped by dan]

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
See, this is why I oppose the ACA - it may delay some of these old buzzards from having a spaghetti dinner with the FSM.

But on a serious note, while angry old chalkies may be expiring, there's still plenty of young angry chalkies waiting in the wings - albeit, they will eventually be a minority in 20 or so years. [EDIT - sniped by dan]
Exactly. Is this the time table I would like? Of course not, but for the majority of the PaWN liberal circle jerk crowd, this is within our life times. And I firmly believe that it is the root cause of right wing paranoia, fear, and reactionary politics. They know it too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
plz god no.
was actually talking with a guy from italy last night who, surprisingly, said that catholicism there is much more divorced from both social and moral issues.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A lot of ya'll "northern" monkeys are a bit too optimistic about the demise of the older generation of conservatives. Here in the South the GOP is reproducing little Republicans in droves. The Bible belt is large and densely populated with ultra, right wing conservatives who continue to grow in numbers.

There are basically two types of them, the young, old money ones and the rednecks. The old money Southern Republicans are groomed by their parents and peers to embrace the ideas of maintaining status and wealth. And the rednecks are too stupid to think for themselves and are easily swayed by the FOX news propaganda machine. They actually think that the "job creators" are working in their best interest. And since free thought has escaped the vast majority of both types, they tend to perpetuate this practice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A lot of ya'll "northern" monkeys are a bit too optimistic about the demise of the older generation of conservatives. Here in the South the GOP is reproducing little Republicans in droves. The Bible belt is large and densely populated with ultra, right wing conservatives who continue to grow in numbers.

There are basically two types of them, the young, old money ones and the rednecks. The old money Southern Republicans are groomed by their parents and peers to embrace the ideas of maintaining status and wealth. And the rednecks are too stupid to think for themselves and are easily swayed by the FOX news propaganda machine. They actually think that the "job creators" are working in their best interest. And since free thought has escaped the vast majority of both types, they tend to perpetuate this practice.
we're actively figuring out a plan to give the south the boot.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
*sigh*

Although this gives me confidence that the Republican "wave" will be very, very short lived... It's not that the people were suddenly more Republican, it's that Republicans showed up and Democrats didn't. :banghead:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
*sigh*

Although this gives me confidence that the Republican "wave" will be very, very short lived... It's not that the people were suddenly more Republican, it's that Republicans showed up and Democrats didn't. :banghead:
Seriously, when you look at places like Australia's voter turnout, I wonder why people even bother to bitch about a do nothing situation.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
In the 80's, when I stared to pay attention to politics, I looked up to a lot of politicians regardless of party. I saw them as educated, intelligent leaders. Not sure if that was me being young and naive or if politicians have just gotten stupid. In politicians I look a leader who is smarter and more knowledgable than myself. But lately I see nothing but complete dumb-asses being propped up, especially by the GOP. I hate the idea of someone like that making policy that affects my way of life.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
In the 80's, when I stared to pay attention to politics, I looked up to a lot of politicians regardless of party. I saw them as educated, intelligent leaders. Not sure if that was me being young and naive or if politicians have just gotten stupid. In politicians I look a leader who is smarter and more knowledgable than myself. But lately I see nothing but complete dumb-asses being propped up, especially by the GOP. I hate the idea of someone like that making policy that affects my way of life.
Have you peered into the inbred cesspool that is state-level politics? They make our national politicians look like fvcking mensa students...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you peered into the inbred cesspool that is state-level politics? They make our national politicians look like fvcking mensa students...
For the first time in my voting history I decided to pay attention to the local folks running for various offices and it was kinda scary. I voted for the guy who owns a local computer repair store for mayor vs the guy who is part of the local boys network. I haven't looked to see if he actually won, but the guy who is mayor is a real douche. But it is a pretty small town (13k).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Exactly. Is this the time table I would like? Of course not, but for the majority of the PaWN liberal circle jerk crowd, this is within our life times. And I firmly believe that it is the root cause of right wing paranoia, fear, and reactionary politics. They know it too.
Honestly, I don't think it will change much as long as the US remains relatively wealthy with significant economic disparity. The politics of fear are ingrained in most people. Few things instill fear like

With a few exceptions the politicians that say really stupid things are more than likely still pretty damn sharp. They are either:
A) playing to their mouth breathing base who want to hear their leaders spew the same bullshit they do
B) saying what their big $$$ corporate donors want them to say no matter how much reality disagrees.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Apparently voter turnout this year was 37%, the lowest since 1942.

Way to go, Democrats, way to go. You ran away from any achievements that you've had over the past 6 years, and your base didn't even bother to show up...

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Apparently voter turnout this year was 37%, the lowest since 1942.

Way to go, Democrats, way to go. You ran away from any achievements that you've had over the past 6 years, and your base didn't even bother to show up...
I agree with your comments on the Democrats entirely. Mitch McConnell stated that the big policy priorities after the win are repealing the medical device tax and Keystone Pipeline. I find it had to believe those are the issues that are motivating the American people. Maybe I am that out of touch.