Quantcast

Are Western DH racers faster than EC racers?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Downieville...there's another horrible example of the West Coast, simply because not everything is like Downieville, but when people go to Tahoe they're told they "HAVE" to do Downieville. And then there's the "DH" race, but it's not really a DH race, it's an enduro type race or something, mild descents, lots of pedaling, not technical like ANY DH race, East or West coast. If you don't need a DH bike, it's not really a DH race IMO. Same thing with Sea Otter.

Last edited:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
If you're trying to impress us with the places you've ridden in CA, I can say that isn't much of a list. Seriously, that's not a lot of different riding. Who's fault is it that you haven't ridden in more places on the West Coast? Not every trail on the West Coast is like Culvert, lower Toads, trails at Mammoth, and so on. Some of those may be the most popular trails due to access and how people with different levels of skills can ride them, but I'd bet if you'd really broken into some of the DH groups in some of these locations you'd find the real crazy stuff. Some of it isn't even fun to ride IMO, as you're simply on the damn brakes the whole time trying to negotiate some switchback on a 60 degree slope with rocks at stupid-slow speed, but to say there's no slower speed or "tight" riding there is pretty ignorant. Maybe there isn't as much when you look at how many trails conform to certain standards, but it's most definitely there.

I'm still trying to figure out from "East Coast" riders what "West Coast" means. Does the West Coast start on the Western side of Virginia? Colorado? California?
Look, I know that there is moar riding out west than what I have seen. This was probably due to the fact that I was moar focused on skiing at the time, didn't have a car, proper DH bike, and the group that I rode with. After all the birth of MTB happened in Cali for a reason. I'm sure the variety of terrain had something to do with it. But I remember some poaches I did in the high sierra along 395, the trails were relatively smooth and wide open. This to me is west coast riding. Tame. I think the title of this thread just pissed me off a little bit. And to me the West Coast means THE WEST COAST...CA, OR, WA. UT and CO should be their own entity.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I really think it has more do with the riding community, then the riding. Look at the amount of UK, and Aussie riders on the podium at WC's. By some of the logic posted in this thread one would have to conclude that BC should produce all of the top racers. It's about creating an environment that makes racing fun, but still competitive imo.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
edit: who am I trying to kid. This thread is retarded. East coast trails are OMGWTFBBQ WAI BETTR.

West coast riders are better.
Just prettier. :thumb:

Galby, Whistler, Fromme, Hood, Washington, x32 x27, Shore galore .

Now make it clear I am referring to west coast riding, this means COAST. I dont mean Utah or Colorado, or even Idaho. Although different again, similar generalizations can be made.

All places have different riding, generalizations can be made but all types of gnar can be found just about anywhere. We're talking 'on average', when pride stays out of the picture reality takes focus.

Bother to look at the bulk of vid and pics posted per east riding or west and the 'stereotypes' are very apparent and understandable. If you've ridden BOTH and not just one and heard of the other (concede again that this is the case per Cali for me.)

As said before, I prefer the west, same for snowriding - I have houses at both ends of the country and love riding both. Who is faster (generalization) - definitely West Coast riders; its a function of access, weather, community AND scale; but dont front - the East is rising, especially the Northeast!

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I was waiting for someone to post that ^^. Might make some people's heads' explode though.
Per the movie: if thats your idea of rough or tech DH, then you're making my point for me. And a lack of trees or switchbacks to boot.

Per the pics: No, not really, that s**t is everywhere round here, and its surrounded with trees as well. Hell, theres gnar like that in Van Cortlandt park in the bronx, and no mountains in sight............

nice try tho.

Nuthin fer sale.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm sure your top sekrit trails nobody else has ever ridden are incredibly gnarly and so hard my skirt will get caught around my face as I cower in shame. In fact, I would probably be busy pooping and peeing my pants too.

But, because I'm from the west coast, I'd still be faster then you.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Huck Banz....
Shaums March 100% disagrees with you sorry. And most of the guys who built this are very fast. Trust me its about 1800 feet to about 200 in very short order. Trees are a good way to slow down BTW!

With no pics or video. Its all BS. And the courses, are not nearly hard enough BTW. At least for the Pro class men.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Its loads of fun to stir s**t up.

Per the video - YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME - Really? Are you ignoring the complete lack of trees? Ever tried to apex a turn with a leaning tree in it (I should hope so.), a considerable lack of hard turns and no switchbacks and you're going to stand by that? If your going pro fast, sure its rough. I have ridden with Shaums (not in several years) in the East and his comments then were about in line with mine, Id say you have a politician on your hands.

Note Im not saying the east is 'better', just on average more tech and rough. I dont need to post pics, and dont need to proove it, reality has a way of showing us, umm, reality.

Funny little venue called Windham for a world cup (EDITED: I said champs -> fail) this year, but no doubt, I suppose thats not up to par.

Yes William42, I bet you are much faster than me, Im not claiming to be an ill rider or fast at all, but way to keep it petty with the conversation skills, and sorry about the bunched panties, but what can you do. I dont know of any secret trails, thats a shame I suppose.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

DONE! Zach hope this is cool.

Anytime U want to fly out U can kick it here and I'll snap shots of ya.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

DONE! Zach hope this is cool.

Anytime U want to fly out U can kick it here and I'll snap shots of ya.
I aint f'in with Zach's skills, although maybe he sucks in the rough - never seen a vid of him doin anything but Shore and DJ's.

Snap shots of me would def be a waste of time - although I am quite good at not landing unintentional no footers; please dont get it twisted, Im not claimin to be the man, just reportin tha facts. Sorry if some feelings have gotten hurt, hope theres no scarring.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I aint f'in with Zach's skills, although maybe he sucks in the rough - never seen a vid of him doin anything but Shore and DJ's.

Snap shots of me would def be a waste of time - although I am quite good at not landing unintentional no footers; please dont get it twisted, Im not claimin to be the man, just reportin tha facts.
No man, I am sure you are right also. there is all kind of stuff hidden away. On both sides of the coast. I would say they both have different characteristics, from root, mud, rock to rock, sand out here. Anyway there are sick trails all over. What we need is a sick trail thread to post images!:thumb:

I think the riding (in my experience) is just different. I was just in Colorado for 2 weeks and I felt like I was riding on marbles, which was the loose dirt over hardpack. Just super slippery powder. It was hard to get used to coming from the east where it just never gets that dry. Also on a lot of stuff it was just moto style speed with huge braking bumps. Again, just stuff we rarely get to ride here. I've ridden a lot of spots in Cali as my wife is from there - santa barbara, Mammoth, Tahoe, bay area (pacifica, santa cruz, etc.), which has plenty of technical riding and rocks. I have never been to the PNW. Everytime when I got home I couldn't wait to ride real dirt, which to me means dirt I'm used to. I think the big differences are that we get lots of rain in the summer and have to ride over roots (which nowhere I have ridden out West has) in the peanut butter and slop mud with lots of rocks covered in mud. I think that is what some refer to as the East being more "tech". Try hitting a cluster of roots running across the trail in the opposite direction your trying to turn on an off camber section with wet mud packed tires and big rocks and trees everywhere. Some courses wet make me wonder if I'm going to make it down in one piece as several sections you just have to loose control to get through. I felt that at least in the dry I knew what the bike would do with more predictability and to me that is what makes the East Coast harder to race/ride then the West - again, I have never been to the PNW and my exposure of "out West" is limited at best. I think both West and East have tech riding with tough courses, but to me the difference is wet vs. dry. I'd miss riding and racing in the mud though if i lived "out west".

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
No man, I am sure you are right also. there is all kind of stuff hidden away. On both sides of the coast. I would say they both have different characteristics, from root, mud, rock to rock, sand out here. Anyway there are sick trails all over. What we need is a sick trail thread to post images!:thumb:
Yes!

Im being mr. generalize here - sir stereotype. Theres nasty and smooth to be had everywhere. I *DID* opine that I felt Westies are probably faster on the whole, so any proud ones can wobble of with that tucked in their belt.

Our mountains are smaller, generally not as steep, and of a significantly smaller quantity.

But they're real f'in Gnarly!

Run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
East coast racing is gnarlier. Sure. California has dick for worthy "DH" courses. It's pretty much why I don't race anymore.

Trails though? Not a chance. The hills on the east coast simply don't have the relief to host trails that are even close to the nastiest stuff we've got around.

Mouthy East Coast riders make the sweeeeetest crying sounds when I take them on the hard stuff. And that's before we even make it to the top of the hike-a-bike. They can't get their breath together after the 10th or so crash to keep cussing me out, so they're usually quieter at that point.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I have ridden with Shaums (not in several years) in the East and his comments then were about in line with mine, Id say you have a politician on your hands.
Lol, Schaums is no politician. I rode with him in Central Illinois (those were dark dark days), and he doesn't blow smoke up your as$. But man is he fast. Definitely one of the most entertaining riders to watch. Gotta love his section with Riffle on Plush 2

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
East coast racing is gnarlier. Sure. California has dick for worthy "DH" courses. It's pretty much why I don't race anymore.

Trails though? Not a chance. The hills on the east coast simply don't have the relief to host trails that are even close to the nastiest stuff we've got around.

Mouthy East Coast riders make the sweeeeetest crying sounds when I take them on the hard stuff. And that's before we even make it to the top of the hike-a-bike. They can't get their breath together after the 10th or so crash to keep cussing me out, so they're usually quieter at that point.
LOL^3 / ~

that is all.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Lol, Schaums is no politician. I rode with him in Central Illinois (those were dark dark days), and he doesn't blow smoke up your as$. But man is he fast. Definitely one of the most entertaining riders to watch. Gotta love his section with Riffle on Plush 2
Him and Lars doing the race n shove at Plattekill in 02, funny stuff - he always won as far as I know in that match-up.

I AM IN NO WAY F'IN WITH LARS EITHER!

This is my thread now!

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
First off, I think your racing problem is probably due to not being used to the type of riding out here. The scale is bigger and in my experience, I ended up a lot slower because it's hard at first to get a handle on how fast everything is. Steep, long, loose. I don't think I can say West vs East is more tech, but it's certainly larger.

Secondly Huck,

Deer Valley norba course, it'll own you at race speeds. No question.

Have you ever rode the Western states? Because I'm pretty sure those are trees in that picture, and I'm certain that when I was in Cali there were trees there too.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
First off, I think your racing problem is probably due to not being used to the type of riding out here. The scale is bigger and in my experience, I ended up a lot slower because it's hard at first to get a handle on how fast everything is. Steep, long, loose. I don't think I can say West vs East is more tech, but it's certainly larger.

Secondly Huck,

Deer Valley norba course, it'll own you at race speeds. No question.

Have you ever rode the Western states? Because I'm pretty sure those are trees in that picture, and I'm certain that when I was in Cali there were trees there too.
Dude, I already won this thread. Go drink some beer or something.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Huck, come out this way, and bring your game face. I'll show you some "hella gnar".

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Oh and I've raced 3 so far this season - Bountiful UT, McCall ID, and Brian Head UT.
How did you like the Utah trails? I'm a Bountiful local. Those trails are pretty fun. They're perfect in the fall and spring when it's raining.

Brian Head is a blast too. Just way too damn hard to breathe up there.

d.tate

Judge Dread
May 22, 2007
I have not ridden west coast so nothing to compare, but there is a good video on http://ride.snowshoemtn.com of the course for race 2 about a month ago. It gives a pretty good idea of what east coast riding is like. For amateurs there were 2 road gaps, plenty of steep tech sections and a killer rock garden. There was no sport class so basically everyone but first year racers rode this course. Worst part was that we got 2 1/2 inches of rain the night before the race. Just making it down in one piece was a victory. Not saying it is better than anywhere else but it does give some perspective to what's on the east coast.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Windrock, TN

72,000 acres
2400 ft of vert
10 expert level trails
Longest trails are in the 10 minute range at race speed for pro riders

Pictorial of Middle Finger, which is one of the shortest tails we have...
Middle Finger

Other trails at Windrock from circa 2005

We have got a pretty big mtn and some gnarly trails. However does that make us better national level racers? No. I think its a concentration of competition that drives most people to be faster. We have never had that here, so as a result only a few us have done well regionally. Go figure.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Windrock, TN

72,000 acres
2400 ft of vert
10 expert level trails
Longest trails are in the 10 minute range at race speed for pro riders

Pictorial of Middle Finger, which is one of the shortest tails we have...
Middle Finger
Looks like a fun trail, but this is definitely crazier. Out in Fernie, BC

http://www.raveneyephotography.com/Clients/Diggler/

3600 vert. Pro rider winning race time 13:06. Rock faces, coal seams, huge jumps. Ridiculous.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Speaking as an outsider, surely you can settle this by having a look at the race results? There must be some well known riders on your respective scenes that travel to the opposite coast to race, maybe you could find a general trend? If East coasters travel to the West and get schooled, and West coasters travel East and do the schooling, then that's the end of discussion IMO. :)

Just a general comment though, I think you guys have way too many categories. 20 odd folk in a category can't do much to foster competition. For example, in the Scottish race series (SDA series) I'm in Senior which is where everyone from ages 19-29 starts, and there will generally be 80-100 riders in my category. I am by no means fast, but I'm not a total beginner and I've yet to make it into the top half of the results sheet. So because of this, I have the motivation to bust my balls over winter to stop getting mediocre results. The chances of me ever moving up to Expert are remote though; you have to collect points and be in the top 25 Seniors in the whole of the UK (not just Scotland) to get bumped up to Expert. :(

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Looks like a fun trail, but this is definitely crazier. Out in Fernie, BC

http://www.raveneyephotography.com/Clients/Diggler/

3600 vert. Pro rider winning race time 13:06. Rock faces, coal seams, huge jumps. Ridiculous.
Sick stuff.

There is soo many trails I need to get out and ride.

Just a general comment though, I think you guys have way too many categories. 20 odd folk in a category can't do much to foster competition.
Dude, don't start that here. While I and many will agree with you, the vast majority of the USA follows the youth soccer mantra of everyone is a winner. Lame.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I like how all pissy the western riders get as they try to defend that they have more rocks
hahahaha yup.

Having lived and ridden both, I'll put in my $0.02:

The west coast tends to be more wide open, faster trails. The trees are less dense (generally) which gives better visibility. There's a lot of loose dry stuff, but a good amount of hardpack. They have some very technical, rocky trail sections - and some gnarly rock gardens.

The east coast is generally not very wide open. The trees tend to be closer together resulting in lower visibility. We get a lot of rain (this year especially) so there's a lot of mud. When its dry, its fairly well packed. The trails are very technical, and VERY rocky. We have gnarlyrock gardens, but we also have trails that are more than 90% rock garden from start to finish.

Not saying the west coast isn't tech and rocky, just that the east tends to be more tech and rockier.

Also, the west coast seems to have more (and better) berms.