Quantcast

Are you a bike snob???

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Cranks: Really, this one is too easy. No matter what crankset you are scoffing at, ask the hapless owner "Don't you find that crankset a little bit flexy?" Try to use an incredulous tone, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. Do not consider, even for a second, the possibility that 99.99% of cyclists cannot tell the variance of flexibility between the stiffest and squishiest cranks in the world.
:stupid:

i've used suntour xc comp cranks, and steel syncros cranks, and a whole bunch in between. i've never been able to tell a difference.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Cyclists are the biggest sandbaggers and secret trainers around. They'll say anything to soften you up for the kill. Don't let this happen to you.

Study this handy rider's phrasebook to find out what they really mean when they say:

"I'm out of shape"
Translation: I ride 400 miles a week and haven't missed a day since the Ford administration. I replace my 11-tooth cog more often than you wash your shorts. My body fat percentage is lower than your mortgage rate.

"I'm not into competition. I'm just riding to stay in shape"
Translation: I will attack until you collapse in the gutter, babbling and whimpering. I will win the line sprint if I have to force you into oncoming traffic. I will crest this hill first if I have to grab your seat post, and spray energy drink in your eyes.

"I'm on my beater bike"
Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

"It's not that hilly"
Translation: This climb lasts longer than a presidential campaign. Be careful on the steep sections or you'll fall over -- backward. You have a 39x23 low gear? Here's the name of my knee surgeon.

"You're doing great, honey"
Translation: Yo, lard ass, I'd like to get home before midnight. This is what you get for spending the winter decorating and eating chocolate. I shoulda married that cute Cat 1 racer when I had the chance.

"This is a no-drop ride"
Translation: I'll need an article of your clothing for the search- and-rescue dogs.

"It's not that far"
Translation: Bring your passport.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
narlus said:
i've used suntour xc comp cranks, and steel syncros cranks, and a whole bunch in between. i've never been able to tell a difference.
Pfft.

Yeah I guess you wouldn't would you?

I can tell stiffness just sitting in the room with the things.

Actually, on my hardtail I really can tell a difference. It's not so much in the pedaling but more in the riding/shock absorbtion.

That's some funny stuff though N8

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
SkaredShtles said:
"Joystix crank arms come anodized in Blue, Black, Lavender, Red, or Silver."
Anodized *lavender*? :confused:
I think they were just trying to set themselves apart from the rest of the purple ano hoard. They were purple no doubt.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Road Bikes? They all seem the same to me. :confused:

How much difference is there between road bike A and road bike B???

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
mack said:

your bike sucks and mine is better. That's the main difference.

It's kind of like asking how bmx bikes are different or even downhill bikes.

I'm a bike snob. I'll turn my nose up at anything :D

The Ito

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like to think of myself as a connoiseur, not a snob - you can ride a hoopty if you want, I really don't care. :rolleyes:

But I swear I can tell the difference between some cranks...I remember noticing the difference between square taper and ISIS, then again between ISIS and the new two-piece designs...maybe I'm just noticing different axles. One thing for sure, it's not my massive leg torgue. :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
Yeah, I guess I am. I could tell the difference when I switched cranks (went from 175mm to 170s).
well that's a bit different from assessing stiffness; i think i could tell the difference between a 26" and 29" wheel. on the latter, i'd magically accelerate around every corner.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
mack said:

The biggest difference (which still isnt that big) is in geometry. Mainly head angle, seat angle and bb height.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
on the latter, i'd magically accelerate around every corner.
So sayeth N8.:)

Shoot, your penis would probably grow 3 inches to.