Quantcast

are you a brand whore?

do you stick with one frame MFG?

• Total voters

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Based on past success and content experiences maybe but if a superior and proven product comes out, I will probably jump ship.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Starting with the "Modern Mountain Bike" era (the BMX list is too long)....

92' Mongoose POS
94' Specialized Rock Hopper
95' Klein Adroit
96' Diamond Back V-link pro
98'Klein Attitude comp
00' Klein Attitude Race
03' KHS Solo-One
04' Surly Karate Monkey
06' Redline Monocog 29(on it's way)

Now I realize I had 3 Klein's in 5 years but I was sponsored by a local bike shop at the time that gave me really sweet deals on them...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I don't consider myself a brand whore...I'd get whatever I thought was best for the money/use.

That said, I have 3 santa cruz's right now...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Atomic Dog said:
I guess I could be considered a brand whore since I have two Santa Cruz bikes. That was somewhat out of necessity, though. There just aren't that many companies making XL frames. I bought both my frames (Heckler and Bullit) used, and for the most part SC bikes are the only used frames that big for sale on a somewhat regular basis.

I've been looking for a bike to replace the aging Bullit, but I haven't had much luck finding Freeride frames in a 21" size. I'd love to try something besides another SC bike if I can find one. :help:
The new Rotec FR 7.5 that's coming out would be perfect in size L for ya. It was debuted at Interbike...not sure when production starts though....check out the Rotec site. There are a couple pics of it.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
GT
Trek
Independent Fabrication
Giant-never again by the way
Rocky Mountain
Cannondale to the 10th power

When I find what I like, I stick with it until I don't like it or find something better suiting my needs.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ive owned, in order:

Magna
Roadmaster
Diamondback
Gary Fisher
Surly
Norco
Foes
Kona
Azonic
Haro
Santa Cruz

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I want to vote "yes" but it's really not true. I always dream of having a stable of bikes, same manufacturer, same color, set-up very similar for a variety of riding disciplines. In actuality, however, I usually end up selling one bike to help finance a new one. I always have a bike stable of 1 bike (which I don't mind too much). I did own 2 Treks in a row back in the 90s. I went from a 970 to a Y-33.:)

toby

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cannondale
Spooky
Eastern Woods Research

Maybe one day I will get the MetalHead or the EWR built up before I give the parts away again.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
there are a few companies that i have an apparent loyalty to (apple and canon come to mind) but in reality these "loyalties" simply stem from lock-in: i own a bunch of mac software and canon lenses so am unlikely to jump ship and abandon ship.
You know we're going to bring this up next time there's a Mac Vs. PC discussion. "You hush Toshi, you only like Macs cause you own Mac software." or "C'mon Toshi, you know you'd buy a PC if you didn't own so much Mac software!". ;) :p

Just yankin your chain, man. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yes, right now I am a brand whore with my frames. I will only ride Turners. For me and what I ride they are the best out there:love:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I am looking at a bike and the geometry chart shows inch units for one measurement and metric for another, it is a done deal I'll never buy that bike.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Westy said:
I will avoid certain brands if I don't think they have good customer support. I'm currently looking at buying a new XC frame and have emailed some manufacturers some questions. Companies that don't reply basically get taken of the list of possible choices.
Ignoring potential customers. :mumble: It amazes me that some companies can overlook such a basic thing as that. It makes me wonder how they stay in business.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have little brand loyalty. If a company has given me great service in the past, I might look to them first but it won't make a decision for me. Then again, I don't know that I've ever had great service from a frame company...

I've owned:
Trek
Cannondale
Schwinn
Empella
Santa Cruz
Tomac
Giant
Mountain Cycle
Cortina

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I tend to stick with bikes I can get deals on (giant, scott, santa cruz, intense, trek, ellsworth, independent fabrication, gary fisher, and an assload of road bikes) which depends on the combonation what shop I am working at and what brands are carried by the bike shop my team rides for.

Currently what I am on does not reflect this, but has in the past and will in the future.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Atomic Dog said:
I guess I could be considered a brand whore since I have two Santa Cruz bikes. That was somewhat out of necessity, though. There just aren't that many companies making XL frames. I bought both my frames (Heckler and Bullit) used, and for the most part SC bikes are the only used frames that big for sale on a somewhat regular basis.

I've been looking for a bike to replace the aging Bullit, but I haven't had much luck finding Freeride frames in a 21" size. I'd love to try something besides another SC bike if I can find one. :help:
Kona has 21" frames in their Stinky line up. At least up till this year as they have changed the frame design quite a bit. I've owned two Stinky's and they are really fun bikes to ride. Burly too! You should be able to pick up a 21" frame cheap because not many people can ride a frame that large.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
and i owned:

*atala-old school cross bike now converted to chopper (from 1992-now)
*fausto coppi -road bike, another limited edition (1995-+1999)
*kayak k26 first fully (****ty) bike and i fall and broke it (1999-2002)
*ktm dynamics xt disc limited edition (only 200 in world)-"xc" bike(2002-2004)
*banshee morphine(2005-2006)
*karpiel apocalypse from 2003 only 2 made from that year , mine and from Jan (2005-now)
*karpiel armageddon from 2004 (2006-now)

i am not guy who will watch which brnd is the best i just buy if i hear good stuff about it and see what "owners" write about it...
i am just lucky to find good bikes
i put years how much ihave them...
"all" my bikes in my life

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Man, some of you are real bike whores, but we knew that already. :D

I've owned:

Rocky Mountain
Titus
Trek (road bike)

I still have all three. Then again, I've only been riding about five years. My next MTB will be none of those three manufacturers.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I would go with the company that makes the best product and that has the best reputation for the type of riding I do

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've always like different bikes myself, never cared for the mainstream off the showroom floor bikes.

1992 Bridgestone MB-1
1994 Litespeed OBED
1996 Santa Cruz Tazmon
1998 Foes Weasel 2
2002 Karpiel Disco Volante
2003 .243
2003 Planet X Jack Flash
2004 Karpiel Armageddon