Quantcast

Are you aware that all the cults, racism, and the problems today are...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
related to religion. Each religion teaches you their standards and beliefs, plus it teaches you to dislike the other religions. Look at christianity, especially the roman catholics, they discriminate on other branches of christianity. How can that be healthy? Also the group responsible for the majority of the messed up human rights can be linked to the church. How can one live in peace/harmony with the world, if they follow the churches' one sided views?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I agree with ya, but can you hold onto this damn can of worms will I get the can opener ready?

Don't just bash the Catholics, by the way. The Protestants are just as bad.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Originally posted by Silver
I agree with ya, but can you hold onto this damn can of worms will I get the can opener ready?

Don't just bash the Catholics, by the way. The Protestants are just as bad.
I know, I just used them as an example.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Religion sucks, but cults are kind of cool.

Remember those Heavans Gates dudes , with the commet and the black Nikes.....that was awesome.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Religion sucks, but cults are kind of cool.

Remember those Heavans Gates dudes , with the commet and the black Nikes.....that was awesome.
And the fact that they cut their own nuts off? Yeah... I guess that was cool... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I personally only hate the white Baptists... they can't dance, they can't sing and the fat mamas ain't got no groove. :monkey:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by Serial Midget

I personally only hate the white Baptists... they can't dance, they can't sing and the fat mamas ain't got no groove. :monkey:
Isn't that why Baptists don't like to have sex standing up? They're afraid it might lead to dancing.:D

rbx

Monkey
the church does not have to be a bad influence there are many good examples in my community weres the church helps the poor and stuff like that.
religion doesnt teach hate, its the twisted inscure people that modify it to suit their own purposes or beleifs that screwed up!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
it may not teach hate but it gives simple minded idiots the validation they need to hate. if they wernt getting it from the church though, they would be getting it from somewhere else.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Originally posted by Rip
related to religion. Each religion teaches you their standards and beliefs, plus it teaches you to dislike the other religions. Look at christianity, especially the roman catholics, they discriminate on other branches of christianity. How can that be healthy? Also the group responsible for the majority of the messed up human rights can be linked to the church. How can one live in peace/harmony with the world, if they follow the churches' one sided views?
* DING * DING * DING *
Boneheaded sweeping generalization of the day winner! :rolleyes:

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah religion messes people up, since its essentially brainwashing, and they have to keep coming up with justifications that fit under what they have been taught. e.g. "Well maybe god let my 2 year old blind son get eaten by a tiger because he has a better place for him."

The funniet thing to me is that virtually all religions preach peace, meanwhile more wars have been fought over religion than anything else. I think that if some religion or other is really true, an Angle Gabriel or a Jesus or somebody ought to fly by and tell us. Maybe (insert deity here) likes watching wars. If I was a god I would start wars. Kinda like Command & Conquer.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
Yeah religion messes people up, since its essentially brainwashing, and they have to keep coming up with justifications that fit under what they have been taught. e.g. "Well maybe god let my 2 year old blind son get eaten by a tiger because he has a better place for him."

The funniet thing to me is that virtually all religions preach peace, meanwhile more wars have been fought over religion than anything else. I think that if some religion or other is really true, an Angle Gabriel or a Jesus or somebody ought to fly by and tell us. Maybe (insert deity here) likes watching wars. If I was a god I would start wars. Kinda like Command & Conquer.
i think if you were god we'd all be knee deep in shiet.......

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego

The funniet thing to me is that virtually all religions preach peace, meanwhile more wars have been fought over religion than anything else.
How many wars can you name that have been fought over religion?

If you manage 5 I'll be impressed.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Originally posted by fluff
How many wars can you name that have been fought over religion?

If you manage 5 I'll be impressed.
Almost all wars have religious overtones. While wars involving Israel and Arab countries are not solely motivated out of religion, religion plays a substantial role. This conflict alone accounts for three to four religiously motivated major conlficts (wars) in the last 5 decades.

(1) Arab-Israeli War 1948-49
(2) In 1956 Israel-Egypt War over Suez Canal Control (may not qualify)
(3) Day War 1967
(4) Yom Kippur War of 1973-74, Egypt, Syria, and Iraq attacked Israel

Another recent religiously motivated conflict occured in Afghanistan.
(5) Afhanistan civil War

Just in case you disagree with #2, you could include the ongoing India/pakistan Conflict and associated mini-wars

So, in conclusion, if I cared, there were probably hundreds of reliously motivated conflicts in this century alone.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by the law
Almost all wars have religious overtones. While wars involving Israel and Arab countries are not solely motivated out of religion, religion plays a substantial role. This conflict alone accounts for three to four religiously motivated major conlficts (wars) in the last 5 decades.

(1) Arab-Israeli War 1948-49
(2) In 1956 Israel-Egypt War over Suez Canal Control (may not qualify)
(3) Day War 1967
(4) Yom Kippur War of 1973-74, Egypt, Syria, and Iraq attacked Israel

Another recent religiously motivated conflict occured in Afghanistan.
(5) Afhanistan civil War

Just in case you disagree with #2, you could include the ongoing India/pakistan Conflict and associated mini-wars

So, in conclusion, if I cared, there were probably hundreds of reliously motivated conflicts in this century alone.
It's about power, not religion. Religion is just used as a motivational tool.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

...Religion IS about power...

If you can control a people's beliefs then you can control them...

...check out Islam, Catholisim, etc throughout history....

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Actually ignoring the palestinians for a second, the other Arab participants in these wars were motivated by religion. You may argue that they are motivated out of concern for their neighbors or fear for their own national sovereignty but I call BS on that. The underlying conflict is largely the result of overarching religious tensions between Muslims and Jews dating back to the persecution of jews during biblical times.
Sven

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Originally posted by N8
...Religion IS about power...

If you can control a people's beliefs then you can control them...

...check out Islam, Catholisim, etc throughout history....
Human nature is about power, not the actual religion itself. The writings of the major religions all preach common themes about peace, getting along with others, the evils of murder, etc.... The problem is that many successful leaders have used religion as a motivator or excuse for war.

Atheists make up things like this to make themselves sleep better (another sweeping generalization, see?)

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Originally posted by Rip
related to religion. Also the group responsible for the majority of the messed up human rights can be linked to the church. How can one live in peace/harmony with the world, if they follow the churches' one sided views?
It could also be argued that groups responsible for the majority of advances in human right were also linked to religion - look at Dr. Martin Luther King, and Abe Lincoln, and the U.S. Constitution.

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Originally posted by Rip

but you dont discriminate do you:rolleyes: dont you have a protest to hold somewhere.

an no the aclu cant be linked to the Christian Church!