Quantcast

are you freakin kidding me???

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just called up an LBS to see if they had a particular bike in stock. They didn't but they had the model below it, which is good enough at this point. I ask the guy a few questions, gave good answers, seemed to know what he was talking about. Then the good part... asked him if I could stop by this afternoon and take it for a quick test ride to see how it felt. His response...

"No. We don't do test rides."

jesus god man...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
but remember, you're supposed to support your lbs :thumb: :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sounds like a great way to sell bikes!

Back when I was looking, one of the shops here in town had a mfgr "demo" bike that they would loan out for a day so you could *really* do a test ride of the bike. I took the Epic up to Monarch Crest and rode 30 miles! :thumb:

-S.S.-

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
"No. We don't do test rides."
:think:

:p

Last time I was in the market for a new MTB (three years ago), a local shop let me a demo a Tomac 98 Special Pro for the entire weekend and all they wanted was my driver's license number.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
Who's the shop? A bunch of Monkeys should call and ask to demo bikes...
It's a shop that I don't like much... but they are the only Bianchi dealer within 2 hours of me... at least the only one I know of.

Now I like them even less.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jacksonpt said:
It's a shop that I don't like much... but they are the only Bianchi dealer within 2 hours of me... at least the only one I know of.

Now I like them even less.

Research project, huh?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Last time I was in the market for a new MTB (three years ago), a local shop let me a demo a Tomac 98 Special Pro for the entire weekend and all they wanted was my driver's license number.
Was it a bike they had setup specifically for that purpose... or did they pull it right off the floor for you?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stinkyboy said:
Research project, huh?
Not really. The other dealer is Trailblazers, who I REALLY like. I was just trying to find a way to see how the bike fit without having to make the trip to Rochester. I never would have bought the bike from them... but if they were good to me, I might have gone back for other things.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
Was it a bike they had setup specifically for that purpose... or did they pull it right off the floor for you?
It was specifically for demos. However, I have never been denied a test ride by an LBS for any bike I've shown an interest in. Granted, I don't go test riding all that often, but I've probably tested bikes from 5-10 shops.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A Local Shop in this area just sent out a sale flyer and they are offering a Ride before you buy program but there is a small rental fee they charge, but that gets deducted from the price of your bike if you decide you like it and want to buy it. Not quite as good at the shop IAB went to however, but still not a bad way to be sure you really like your potentially new FS rig.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1. When I worked in Manhattan, there were absolutely no test rides. Firstly you cannot trust any New Yorker, and where you were going to test ride a bike safely, up Sixth Ave then down Broadway?

2. I dispute the value of test rides. So far, I bought a total of 1 bike (of the 10 I have) based on a "test ride", and even that one bike (Kona Dawg Primo) I already knew I wanted it but the sizing (17 or 18) was an issue. And frankly, all the test ride did was confirm what I already knew sitting on the bike.

3. I especially like road bike tests of people who have never been on a road bike before. They usually don't even shift the bike because they don't know how.

3. I know that everyone wants to test ride bikes, although demos is the only true test. If this shop is not in Manhattan, I don't see the harm of a test ride.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
We never did test rides. I lost a sale of a santa cruz VPP because we wouldnt let the guy test ride it. Santa Cruz never sent us or test riding fleets.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
mack said:
We never did test rides. I lost a sale of a santa cruz VPP because we wouldnt let the guy test ride it. Santa Cruz never sent us or test riding fleets.
A $4000 bike and the potential buyer isn't allowed to try it first? That just doesn't make sense. I don't know...maybe I am just not seeing things from the LBS perspective.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
LOL! Yet another LBS thread. I'd tell him I was going elsewhere unless he let me have the bike for a few minutes.

The place I bought my bike let me borrow it for a good 20 min, and they have regular demo's at the local trailhead. They take your bike, park it under the tent, swap your pedals on to the demo bike and bam you can ride it for an hour. Last demo ride was nearly the whole line of specialized mid level bikes.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
sanjuro said:
1. When I worked in Manhattan, there were absolutely no test rides. Firstly you cannot trust any New Yorker, and where you were going to test ride a bike safely, up Sixth Ave then down Broadway?
Upstate NY is a wee bit different than Manhattan

sanjuro said:
2. I dispute the value of test rides. So far, I bought a total of 1 bike (of the 10 I have) based on a "test ride", and even that one bike (Kona Dawg Primo) I already knew I wanted it but the sizing (17 or 18) was an issue. And frankly, all the test ride did was confirm what I already knew sitting on the bike.
Sizing/fit is the only reason I want to test ride. I know the bike is an excellent choice for me otherwise.

sanjuro said:
3. I especially like road bike tests of people who have never been on a road bike before. They usually don't even shift the bike because they don't know how.
My test rides are reasonable... usually about 20 minutes long, I run though most of the gears and get on the brakes pretty hard just to see how everything responds. Then I cruise around in the saddle to make sure the fit is reasonable. I won't learn much more than that unless I get out for an hour or more.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
My LBS is always saying: "hey there's a new Moots for ya to ride, blah, blah, blah" or some crazy expensive road bike. They encourage it. If they don't know ya, ya just leave your credit card.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm gonna dispute the dispute of being worth a test ride :think:

uhh

I tested three bikes one day and could feel the difference in the materials almost immediately. I could also get a sense of the geometry.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I called Ted's Bicycle Shop in Endicott NY, a Bianchi dealer. No test rides, according to the person I spoke with "we are not comfortable with test rides". No reason was given either, unless I was "serious" about buying that particular bike.

Frankly, I can understand no test rides, from my reasons above. But the lack of an explanation of the "No Test Ride" policy is bad business.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
Damn Jackson! What the hell bike shop doesn't allow you to try out a bike? Which celeste bike were you drooling on?
I wanted to ride the Imola as that's the #1 contender at the moment, but they had the Eros (same frame, but campy equipped instead of shimano), so that would have been good enough to get a feel for the fit.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
sanjuro said:
BTW, I called Ted's Bicycle Shop in Endicott NY, a Bianchi dealer. No test rides, according to the person I spoke with "we are not comfortable with test rides". No reason was given either, unless I was "serious" about buying that particular bike.

Frankly, I can understand no test rides, from my reasons above. But the lack of an explanation of the "No Test Ride" policy is bad business.
That's the shop.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Actually, what is their reason for no test rides? Been burnt too many times. This year someone crashed a bike and put it back in the rack before I realized it. But that is my fault for not checking, not our test ride policy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I can't possibly understand the logic. If they are concerned about having the bike stolen or damaged, ask the person to leave a credit card and/or driver's licence. I would have happily done that, and anyone who wouldn't do it probably isn't that serious about it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Echo said:
That's why you get insurance when you have a business where most of your inventory is expensive sporting equipment.
Are you a small business owner who makes frequent claims from your insurance company? How much is your theft and damge deductible?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
sanjuro said:

Not to mention that Ted's doesn't have a "No Test Ride" policy, they have a snobby policy that excludes people who aren't knowledgeable. In other words, don't bother 'em.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
Not to mention that Ted's doesn't have a "No Test Ride" policy, they have a snobby policy that excludes people who aren't knowledgeable. In other words, don't bother 'em.
The scary thing is that I probably know more than half their staff does.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
The scary thing is that I probably know more than half their staff does.
That is extremely likely.

I walk into many LBSs here and cringe when I see some of the staff, what they say, what they do.

There are amazing LBSs here tho, so fly out and visit :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
That is extremely likely.

I walk into many LBSs here and cringe when I see some of the staff, what they say, what they do.

There are amazing LBSs here tho, so fly out and visit :D
hrm... I've got a friend in Grand Junction. I could fly out, buy a bike, and ride home.

oish, that would hurt.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my fave test ride story has to do w/ belmont wheelworks. some guy wanted to test ride a merlin road bike, but claims he has no credit card or licence to leave behind. no problem, said the older, gray-haired man behind the counter, i'll ride w/ you.

so the would-be thief figures his plan is working. he hops on the merlin, and after a few minutes figures it's time to put the hammer down and drop gramps. problem is, gramps is 3 time olympian john allis. no stolen bike. :thumb: