Quantcast

Are you obsessed with mountain biking?

bikergrl

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Are you obsessed with mountain bikes to the point where they're not just a recreational vehicle - they're a lifestyle? Does your life revolve around the next ride or the next upgrade? Have you bought a car, lied to a partner or changed jobs to accommodate your love for the bike? Do your nutritional choices, clothing choices, and entertainment choices exist only to support a training regime or a bike-related style?

I am embarking on a photo documentary project this summer with the intention of revealing life as we the bike-obsessed know it. I want to explore the devotion mountain bikers have to their sport; a devotion that turns an everyday object into an almost religious experience which dominates every aspect of living. I am looking for volunteers in Eastern Canada and the New England states who would be willing to spend a day or two riding, talking and sharing their mountain bike obsessed existences with me. You must be willing to let me photograph you and your environment extensively, tape our discussions for later use as support material for the photos, and sign a release form saying that I can use any of the material I collect along the way.

The outcome of this project, if all goes as planned, will be an art show and a book. Here's your chance to show the world how much you love mountain biking.

If you're interested in participating in this project, please email me at bikergrl@ecmtb.com and put "mtbproject" in the subject line. Let me know how old you are and how long you've been riding and describe some of the "evidence" that makes you obsessed.

Thanks for your help!

Cheerios,
Sue Earle,
Editor, ECMTB.com

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I thought I recognized the name. Then I saw the email. You write some good articles :cheers:

I am obsessed. I am always visualizing a trail, imagining my next part, ride. Anything. I am at work right now but i will email ya latter. :)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
bikergrl said:
I am looking for volunteers in Eastern Canada and the New England states who would be willing to spend a day or two riding...
Sounds like you need to come to Monkeyfest. East Burke, VT, July 22-24. :thumb:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If there was anyone truly obsessed with MTBing in Eastern Canada and New England they would've move down here to Virginia so they could ride all year around. ;)

C'mon down here and interview us.

Mike

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Wouldn't someone who rides in the cold snowy eastern states/provinces be more obsessed than someone who has fair weather all the time ;)

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Roasted said:
Wouldn't someone who rides in the cold snowy eastern states/provinces be more obsessed than someone who has fair weather all the time ;)
Hehehe...I thought of that just as I hit the send button.

Actually I'm obsessed enough to come up there and ride.

Mike

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
bikergrl said:
Are you obsessed with mountain bikes to the point where they're not just a recreational vehicle - they're a lifestyle? Does your life revolve around the next ride or the next upgrade? Have you bought a car, lied to a partner or changed jobs to accommodate your love for the bike? Do your nutritional choices, clothing choices, and entertainment choices exist only to support a training regime or a bike-related style? (quote)

this sounds like the start of a 12 step program :D

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Except for school, just about everything I do has a connection to bikes somehow......And I am always thinking about it

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Obsessed? Yep. My wife is so irritated with bikes and me it's unbelievable.
She swears that if we ever divorce it will be over a bike. She might be right. :mumble:

bikergrl

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm stoked by the amount of interest I'm receiving. Please... if you ARE interested, be SURE to email me instead of sending a PM or just posting in the forum...it will be much easier for me to keep everyone organized and I'll need email addresses in an easy to manage place once I start contacting people.

And by the way, with respect to the comments about being able to ride all year long, there's nothing stopping us up here that a few tire studs, some long undies and post ride beer in a warm pub won't fix!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Psh, you won't learn anything about MTBin' from those east coast scrubs...............

The left coast is where it's at..............

bikergrl

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Halifax, Nova Scotia
chicodude01 said:
Psh, you won't learn anything about MTBin' from those east coast scrubs...............

The left coast is where it's at..............
Been there, done that and it's a helluva place to get dirty. That being said, we've got it going on over this way too. Don't let the mountains obscure your view!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wow i would participate if i lived near there. i guess north carolina does not count though

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
bikergrl said:
Been there, done that and it's a helluva place to get dirty. That being said, we've got it going on over this way too. Don't let the mountains obscure your view!

Nah, I will just ride down them :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Agreed on the w.coast is where it's at. My wife calls my bike my mistress and loaths any conversation about it, I lose sleep over not doing a drop because my hearts beating so badly and my minds invisioning doing it. I spend countless hours on the right tires for the ride and trying to find the week link in my bike by foreseeing any catastrophe do to not tightining something or daydreaming about an offcamber landing to the point that I might as well have wrecked by the rate at which my hearts beating.
Normally this wouldn't be bad except that I am in bed trying to go to sleep.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
deweydude said:
this sounds like the start of a 12 step program :D
Hi my name is Velocity Girl and I'm a bike addict!

I always find it amazing that I won't bat an eye at dropping money on a brand new bike part, but will agonize over every other little purchase I make!!!

The whole reason I'm on the west coast is because of biking....couldn't stand the mid-west anymore and freaked when I was this close to moving to Norfolk, VA....ended up in Seattle instead :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ah yeah, I would fit the criteria of a bike addict :think: I looked for the perfect car that could haul gear, fit a SportWorks DH/Freeride rack, roof rack for the XC bikes and plan my vacations and work schedule around biking :eek: Maybe I do need :help:

;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Ah yeah, I would fit the criteria of a bike addict :think: I looked for the perfect car that could haul gear, fit a SportWorks DH/Freeride rack, roof rack for the XC bikes and plan my vacations and work schedule around biking :eek: Maybe I do need :help:

;)
not bad, but how many rooms in you house have bikes/bike parts?

me:
garage
basement
bedroom
spare bedroom
living room

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Roasted said:
I thought I recognized the name. Then I saw the email. You write some good articles :cheers:

I am obsessed. I am always visualizing a trail, imagining my next part, ride. Anything. I am at work right now but i will email ya latter. :)
i tried to bunny hop my truck over a pothole yesterday, again.

bikergrl

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Toninator said:
i tried to bunny hop my truck over a pothole yesterday, again.
It may take a little more practive than bunnyhopping a bike, but rest assured...it CAN be done!

I too am guilty of pulling up on the steering wheel and leaning into turns when I drive.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
bikergrl said:
It may take a little more practive than bunnyhopping a bike, but rest assured...it CAN be done!

I too am guilty of pulling up on the steering wheel and leaning into turns when I drive.
first thought that went through my head after it didnt work was "damn this fork is heavy" ( i have just recently switched from a lightweight sid to a not so light fox) :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
not bad, but how many rooms in you house have bikes/bike parts?

me:
garage
basement
bedroom
spare bedroom
living room
Currently....car, garage, living room, basement and kitchen table. Oh, and right next to the computer lol! Maybe I do have a problem, but atleast I don't take my bike into the bedroom :eek:

;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
bikergrl said:

BWAAAHHHH! I find that I ride my snowmobile a lot like I ride my bike and use the same motions when jumping and leaning through corners....I haven't caught myself doing it in the car though (yet) LOL!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Currently....car, garage, living room, basement and kitchen table. Oh, and right next to the computer lol! Maybe I do have a problem, but atleast I don't take my bike into the bedroom :eek:

;)

well, I am single....and if I didnt go out big pimpin that night.....I would get lonely all by myself in my big bedroom :help:

bikergrl

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Toninator said:
first thought that went through my head after it didnt work was "damn this fork is heavy" ( i have just recently switched from a lightweight sid to a not so light fox) :)
Ahhh, I bet you'll LOVE that Fox though. I have a SID and 5" of Fox...it's the sweetest thing going!