Quantcast

Are you single and wanna be rich..???

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Good luck 'cause it ain't happenin'!!!!!

:p:p:p:p:p

Marriage boosts prosperity - study
Tue Sep 13, 6:42 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Stable marriage can increase the financial prosperity of couples and improves the lives of American children, including those being raised by same-sex couples, according to a report released on Tuesday.

The report by the Brookings Institution and Princeton University showed that while the poor see lack of money as a barrier to marriage, even when they have children out of wedlock, healthy marriage actually ensures them healthier finances in the long run.

"The decline in two-parent families since 1960 has been closely linked with a rise in child poverty, primarily because poverty rates are far higher in single-mother families than in two-parent families," according to the report.

The proportion of single-parent families doubled to 26 percent in 2003 from 12 percent in 1970, according to the report, "The Future of Children," a series of articles on marriage and children.

Children already being raised by same-sex couples can also benefit when those couples marry, the study suggested.

"First, marriage may increase children's material well-being through such benefits as family leave from work and spousal health insurance eligibility," the report said. "Second, same-sex marriage may benefit children by increasing the durability and stability of their parents' relationship."

The report comes as the Bush administration proposes some $1.5 billion in spending over the next five years on marriage programs and as the debate over same-sex marriage hits a fever pitch.

The study stressed the need for educational initiatives that could help with relationships and parenting, saying this can help reduce divorce, domestic violence and single-parent child-rearing.

At a forum on the report, panelists urged the Bush administration and Congress to direct more funding toward job growth for the poor and minorities.

"Men without jobs do not form families," said Eleanor Holmes Norton, the Washington, D.C., delegate to the House of Representatives.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thats why I'm gettin hitched!! Now I'll have Optical and Dental coverage!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Based on teh article, I think the thread title should be "Are you a single PARENT and wanna be rich?"

BTW, I tell MtnBikerChk I married her to increase my income level at work. :thumb:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, my wife and I got married in Dec in order for me to save HUGE $'s in Federal Income Tax!!!

Thank you Babester! :heart: ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
You gotta love the healthcare that comes with being a teacher
yes i do, she only pays like $10 a month for it. I'm at like $20/week for mine.