Quantcast

Are you still using IE?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
How could you? How do I get my gf to stop other than getting her a Mac (which she 'hates' btw. not educated in so many ways...)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I got my wife to stop using it at home by installing Firefox, setting it as the default browser, then removing IE from the start menu and desktop. The only way to run IE is to go into ...Windows/Programs/etc. which she'd never do.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, just do what BikeGeek says. She'll probably say, "Where's my Favorites button?" and you can say, "It's in the menu labeled 'Bookmarks' honey" and that's the last you'll ever hear of it.

Pretty much everything works just like IE. Just make sure to import the favorites.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How could you? How do I get my gf to stop other than getting her a Mac (which she 'hates' btw. not educated in so many ways...)
She might have a valid concern if she has a webpage that doesn't work well in other browsers. Most pages work well for Firefox or IE these days, so switch her to Firefox and install the Firefox IE tab extension for any special non-standard IE specific sites.

She works in a scientific field, so she could be as familiar with computers as you :rolleyes:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I'd love to, but she uses her PC laptop and pretty much stays off my computer (apple) which runs Safari or Firefox. I may download it for her and put it on her computer for her while she's away in DC, but I can't go messing with her computer otherwise.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's a matter of safety. Ask her if she wants a virus?

Tell her to use Firefox or to type with condoms on her fingers.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No reason to use it other than she dislikes change.
Thats the usual reason most people won't try new things. A PC user going to mac or vise versa. H*ll most average users yell and scream when there is a major revision to an application, let alone switching to a different application or OS.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
UNless your visiting alot of Microsoft sites, (which look like ass in Firefox) there is no reason to keep using IE

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
If she hates it then it should be an easy change. "Since you hate IE why don't you try firefox?" And then if she changes great and if she doesn't she must not have hated it that much. Either way I'm not sure I'd spend more than, what?, 15 seconds on it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If she hates it then it should be an easy change. "Since you hate IE why don't you try firefox?" And then if she changes great and if she doesn't she must not have hated it that much. Either way I'm not sure I'd spend more than, what?, 15 seconds on it.
one of us read that wrong... I think she hates Mac computers.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well if that's the case (and if very well might be) and she doesn't hate IE what in the hell are you bugging her about?
Security issues?

I'm no tech-idiot and I got so frustrated with the crap that got through IE onto my computer that I re-formated and used IE only to DL FF.

I loves me some ScriptBlocker.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well if that's the case (and if very well might be) and she doesn't hate IE what in the hell are you bugging her about?
Because, like many Mac users, he feels the need to dictate what other people should like the best :p

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Security issues?

I'm no tech-idiot and I got so frustrated with the crap that got through IE onto my computer that I re-formated and used IE only to DL FF.

I loves me some ScriptBlocker.
I use IE on my work computer and have never had a single issue with it.

I use FF at home just because of the tabby thing. I have absolutely no idea what my wife uses.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I use IE on my work computer and have never had a single issue with it.
I should probably clarify... I had IE issues before I got a firewall. I now have one -- as you likely do at work -- but haven't used IE since, just cuz I like FF, so, ya know, something.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
:confused: Weird, never had that happen. It's gotta be user error. :)
It can and does zap the bookmarks. If you look into the Mozilla folder there is a bookmarks backup file just in case this happens.

In XP it's in a folder that looks something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"___".default\bookmarkbackups

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
IE is clunky and out of date, but that is beside the point.

I only wish her not to use IE due to the security issues and because I have to hear about every problem and every reformat of the harddrive, etc. Next generation of my computer will be dual boot and I don't wish to get anything her computer might acquire.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
why dont you install it, import the favorites then use the IE icon as the icon for firefox.......is that possible. then you can at least see how long it takes her to notice.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I'll see if I can discuss it with her tonight. I changed my signature in my email today to read Stop Using Internet Explorer. After about the third email she got a little pissed....

I like your idea Biggins.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
IE 7.0 has tabs... in fact it is somewhat similar to FF now...
IE is a complete FF burn, but slower. I installed it, opened it, surfed for a minute and laughed. It's like FF on cough syrup. Lame.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I changed my signature in my email today to read Stop Using Internet Explorer. After about the third email she got a little pissed....
If she gets pissed at that kind of thing then you should dump her. Now.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My IE7 install on Vista x64 runs noticably faster than Firefox.
Yeah it seems techies say its faster. I'm waiting until the next revision or two of FF and IE to update myself, I like my extremely tweaked and extensioned out FF too much. I switched to it after using Opera for years. My FF uses 5-7MB minimized and 35-50MB maximized with a site in view and half a dozen FF tabs open.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Microsoft and Microsoft peeps would dictate what other people use?...Would they?:brow:
Almost any business would aim for locked-in/captive customers - they are trying to make money right :bonk:

Microsoft's monopoly is Windows/Office/IE.

Apple's monopoly is iPod/iTunes.

Both cases negative for innovation and consumer choice.