Quantcast

Are your bars LOWER or HIGHER than your saddle?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Just thought I'd ask around. I dont mean with DH or Slalom or DJ or Park bikes or anything. Just regular trail bikes.

My seat is high enough that i get a full leg extension and my bars are about 3/4" higher still than my seat. Any drawbacks/advantages to that?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the higher the front end, the harder it is to keep the front wheel planted on steep climbs.

conversely, it's easier to get the front up for bunnyhopping etc, though.

my trail bike is about level, bars and saddle.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
I personally love mine higher. Uphills are NO problem if you lean foward like Lance Armstrong on a road bike. The higher bars means less neck fatique at the end of the ride. Who wants to be bent over all the way. I like the ride of a motocross style stance so I go up with mine. In fact I told my bike shop NOT to cut off my stem of my fork so I could mount it higher. Then I got spacers and put motocross, ''cross bar'' bars to raise it up more. If I want to attack, I lean over, if I want to go way back over the seat to clear a log, no prob. I prefer up. And for Downhill, you can always lean over, but you can't lean back if your bars are too far down. A good point I might add...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I think even my commuters bars are an inch or so higher than my saddle.

My Hecklers bars maybe get level when I'm pedalling up some BS hill and my 36 is slammed down. I run such a short stem on the thing that it wheelies pretty easily. I tend to stand a lot when I climb, but I rarely have to pedal uphill for a very long time so it's way more worthwhile to just stand on the climbs with the saddle not-up-my-ass and enjoy the downhills.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
robdamanii said:
Not having a seatpost is an important detail that you left out...
haha yea. I'm so used to seeing that style of frame that I just assume the 2 go hand in hand.

also, your avatar is creepy. Because I have seen this picture:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SilentJ said:
For those of you that run the bars lower, what kind of saddles you running to keep your junk from getting numb?
WTB Devo, but I'd say it has less to do with the seat and more to do with the seat angle. The lower your bars the lower the nose of the saddle should be.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
SilentJ said:
For those of you that run the bars lower, what kind of saddles you running to keep your junk from getting numb?
I run a really narrow race saddle. I find that I am not sitting down enough that my junk ever even approaches the point at which it would go numb. That and the narrow saddles are just plain more comfortable to me than the larger offerings.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Polandspring88 said:
I run a really narrow race saddle. I find that I am not sitting down enough that my junk ever even approaches the point at which it would go numb. That and the narrow saddles are just plain more comfortable to me than the larger offerings.
Saddles are personal choice. I like a wide one so I sit on my sit bones and not on my bone bone.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It depends on the bike and what I'm riding, but it's all about leg extension. On my road and fixed gear my seat is way higher. On my vp-free and silly hardtail my seat is way lower. On my trail bike it depends on whether I'm going up or down - going up, seat is higher. Going down, bars are higher.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
in terms of saddles - I want to know how/why people run those huge a$$ dh saddles (like the azonic). They are so effing uncomfortable! and heavy too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i used an azonic lounge seat early on for my DH bike, and it was a good margin of error factor while i was still dialing in using flat pedals. ie, lose yr pedals, you still have a good chance of landing on a big comfy seat.

not so good for pedaling.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My (DJ,FR,XC,DH) hardtail had some ringle 2.5" or 2" bars (28" long) that my friend got me. I couldn't stand the height and wierd bend.

I replaced them with Azonic double walls (cut from 29" to 27") 1" rise. I wanted it to be lower and corner better. It does, but it is much harder to bunnyhop. Is it going to be like that, or do I still need to get used to it. I am going to replace the fork with an inch taller one. Now, the bars are 2-3" above the saddle. When doing long climbs, I sometimes put the seat up.

On my bullit, the seat is about 6" lower than the 28" EA50 bars. If i'm climbing, I may put the seat up.