Quantcast

Argument With The Boss

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've tried for months to educate a client that they need more effective design, and that I want their work to be great. My boss just tells me they called her to complain, and that I should just do what they ask for because they sign the checks. I told her sure, but that's my new attitude about everything too and that I am only here to get my check, and I will not put any extra time or thought into anything. (with the addition of about 50 curse words).

I'll get fired or apologized to today. It will be nice to have my days free for riding...

:mumble:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Jeremy R said:
Hey, there is no good time to get fired, but springtime is pretty close.:)
As long as you can live off the pogie.

Getting laid off is better...

Running out of money sucks though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
johnbryanpeters said:
Can't educate a client by force.
Doesn't work too well with co-workers either.
If you've been doing good work, you might be forgiven an outburst...
I educate by showing them better options, and trying to get them to stick with their "brand" Their work has no consistency.

She likes my work, and even offered to take the client off of my "plate".

More time for RM!
:rolleyes:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just do what they ask and collect a check. If it takes more work to do it how they want, then it's more dough for everyone, correct?

J

JRB

I try not to argue with bosses, but even making suggestions seems to get some people uptight. It's gonna be nice for riding for the next month or so here.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jimmydean said:
Just do what they ask and collect a check. If it takes more work to do it how they want, then it's more dough for everyone, correct?
I take pride in my work, and care about the final result. Like Americans used to...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
100 years ago, when the Bell V1-Pro first made an appearance, I thought it was a great helmet because it actually protected your head without weighing 4 lbs (it probably weighed 3).

Anyway, some guy comes in and wants a leather hairnet helmet, and I try to convince to buy a hardshell, at least a Brancale (which had less protection a batting helmet).

I got so worked up, my manager had to send me away. Later she laughed at my concern for this guy's safety.

Now that I am older and wiser, I would give him the same lecture, but I would have sold him the hairnet gladly. I cannot be responsible for other people's bad decisions, but as long as I perform due diligence, my ethical and professional obligations are satisfied.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
I hope you're not suggesting I travel to Texas.

:nonono:
Hell no - I'm just thinking about how nice it's about to be for a short period of time.

Is your boss hot??? Have I asked that before???

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
sanjuro said:
100 years ago, when the Bell V1-Pro first made an appearance, I thought it was a great helmet because it actually protected your head without weighing 4 lbs (it probably weighed 3).

Anyway, some guy comes in and wants a leather hairnet helmet, and I try to convince to buy a hardshell, at least a Brancale (which had less protection a batting helmet).

I got so worked up, my manager had to send me away. Later she laughed at my concern for this guy's safety.

Now that I am older and wiser, I would give him the same lecture, but I would have sold him the hairnet gladly. I cannot be responsible for other people's bad decisions, but as long as I perform due diligence, my ethical and professional obligations are satisfied.
And if you had designed both helmets and knew how crappy the leather helmet was?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
My boss is a dorky, idiot who thinks his degree makes him smart...my 6 year old daughter is ten times smarter at her age then he will ever be...and what is great about my situation [soon to be working for myself again..]I remind him of this quite often...good thing about these big a$$ companies it is hard to fire somebody..I have about four months left...He is one of these guys that talks down to others to make himself feel better he learned the hardway I don't take much crap form anybody boss or no boss..I still do my job the best I can..

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stinkyboy said:
And if you had designed both helmets and knew how crappy the leather helmet was?
The V1-Pro was the first attempt to make a lighter helmet (with racing styling) which still passed safety standards. I was proud to own one, knowing that my noggin was protected. This was during the time people rarely wore helmets unless a tourist had the Bell Biker.

It was a matter of pride that my thinking was correct on this subject, something which still matters to me today. I took it very personally at the time, and it was foolish of me to do so.

I say now, "I can't control everything", and I say it frequently. I give people good solutions and I try very hard to sell it as well, but it is their option to choose.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Just remember that they own your ass for 8 hours a day. yes sir and no sir don't matter when you are on your bike. Why do you think they call them "starving artists."

Ultimately, if you work really hard, you will still not make a difference in the world.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Until you die.

Just make sure that the checks don't bounce.