Quantcast

Argyle Confirmation...

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So I have been really enjoying my Fall Guy since I got it built up a few weeks ago. My Terribleone actually has been collecting dust, sad, but the FG is so much fun to ride.

Well, of course there are some little quirks that need to be worked out, one of which was with the fork.

Don't get me wrong, the Pike lowered is awesome, but even with X-Firm springs its a tad on the soft side. I was running a little over 2.5" of travel, and the fork sagged about an inch (even with the floodgate and compression amped up). I also was feeling a little scared of running such a light fork for DJing. I'm smooth, but I like to go for tricks and I guess I just didn't want to have to worry.

So as other threads have shown I started looking at the Argyle and a buddy helped me out and I just got it last weekend. I thought for confirmations sake I would just run through the process.

First of all, compared to doing a Reba, its way easier. Start out by undoing the bolt on the bottom right side (if your facing the fork) about 2 or 3 turns, tap it with a mallet, and then pull it out the rest of the way (oil will come out so be ready).

Next, use a 24mm socket and undo the top after taking off the little screw on air cap. The whole thing just kinda pulls out (air cartridge and all). If it pulls apart, not a big deal. Make sure that the lower set up released when you tapped the bolt, and if not try again. At this point you will have the cap that you unscrewed, an shaft with some different sealed shim like pieces, bumpers, and such, and then the AL sleeve that houses the whole thing. (All of this is outlined in the technical owners manual online with pictures).

Now, to shorten the travel, I guess the space can be filled in a variety of ways, but they way I did it was like this. Get some 3/4 PVC, I had to get the "hot water" variety to get it narrow enough (you don't need much). I also got some nylon washers, the hole was around 1/4" - 1/2", the outside diameter was like an 1" (way to big, you will need to find something that is a smaller diameter then that AL sleeve, like as wide as the other stuff on the shaft. I just used a side cutter and hacked off a bunch of it.

To figure out how much PVC you need, take

125mm- how much travel you want (I wanted 70mm) = how long the pvc will be (mine would have been 55mm).

Now, you also have to consider how thick the washers were. Mine were about .25" stacked up (I think thats like 6.35mm), subtract that from the above PVC length (so mine was now down to a tad under 50mm).

Basically, slide all the stuff off the shaft from the rubber bumper down. Slide on a washer, the PVC, the other washer, the bumper and the rest of the stuff, put it all back together, drop it in the fork leg, tighten down the bolt, add, some oil (15ml?), screw on the cap, air it up to about 140lbs and away you go!

It really took hardly any time, just cutting down my stupid washers and whatever. The fork now holds my weight and for jumping and riding street it performs amazingly. Hardly any bob or sag, its really awesome, just taking the edge off.

Anyway, I know its worth nothing without pics, but I'll post them as soon as I get a chance. Thanks to everyone who gave ideas in the other thread, the fork turned out better then I ever imagined!

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
I wish there was some way of making the Pike stiffer that X-Firm levels, but I guess that's mostly up to the FloodGate. Did you ride the FloodGate closed at all?

Is the Argyle spring selection firmer than that of the Pike?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ya, I ran my Floodgate locked down.

My argyle is an airfork. I haven't run one of these since the late 90's and it sucked, but this works much better and makes sense to get a firm spring for any weight (BTW, I'm only 165-170)

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Could be either or. I believe all the parts are to some extent compatible, but I don't know that for sure. Most people just slap the Argyle lowers on the Pike upper, just bolt everything in place. Both forks are also available in Air and Spring versions, I guess it would depend on what you started with, but again, I would imagine that you could drop the air parts and replace the spring parts, but I could be wrong.