Quantcast

Argyle vs dj1

fishbait

Chimp
Jul 18, 2007
New York
Looking to get a new DJ fork. Interested in Marzo DJ1 2008 and a Rock Shox Argyle 302. I weight about 245 and DJ allot. Looking for the most durable fork. Any info on both would be cool
thx

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
It is my opinion that the 08-09 Marzocchi line was inferior to the 06-07 DJ1 with the pinch bolt crowns. They were much thicker crowns, better machining, and they came with dual air legs and a rebound knob on one foot. The 08-09 had one air cap and crappy looking crowns...

(I saw a NOS 06-07 DJ1 on pinkbike a few weeks ago)

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I used to have a DJ1 and I have a Argyle 318 now and it is much better. Lighter, alot more plush and all around I feel like it soaks up bumps alot better instead of how my dj felt like it just took the edge off. Argyles are better in more or less every aspect, hands down.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've ridden a couple of DJ's from friends ('07, '08 and '09), and they simply can't be compared to my Argyle 318. They are like past century forks, bulky, heavy, and not very tunable. The Argyle has the QR Maxle, which makes an extra bonus for me (have to fit the bike in the car for a ride to our DJs). Besides that, if you opt for the Argyle, see if can get some extra money and aim for the 318. The MoCo simply kicks ass. You can have a stiff fork when hitting the transition and a plush one when landing time comes.

CONS: I would throw in the Solo Air kit if I could just get it here in Argentina. Lacking the preload adjust is a minus for the Argyle IMHO, even when the default spring is OK for my weight (~210 and rising...). Another option would be to put in a Tora preload cap (as hard to get here as the Solo Air kit).

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
i dont think this "feels a lot lighter" argument is valid. They might be more "tuneable" but the weight of an aluminum steerered 07 DJ1 is:
2620 grams = 5.77611127 pounds

The 318 that I just saw on Jenson was 5.6 lbs

Now a pike is probably lighter as it has aluminum stanchions...

Did you guys ride Marzocchi DJs with steel stanchions/steerers or aluminum? (Big weight difference)