Quantcast

Arizona Woman Charged With Going 68 In A 45 Zone - On Her Bike

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Don't think this has been posted up yet:

Arizona Woman Charged With Going 68 In A 45 Zone - On Her Bike

"Grace Picket was in a hurry to get to work last week. She needed to travel 47 miles from her home to work in Scottsdale, Arizona. That big hill into town was just too hard to resist.

Avid cyclist Grace Picket averages around 150 mile a week on her road and mountain bikes combined. She occasionally rides the 47 miles into Scottsdale and has her husband pick her up from work and drive them back home. “Our house is pretty far up in the hills”, said Picket. “I like to bomb down the big hills to try and keep my average speed up. They just caught me near the bottom of the hill and there was no way I could slow down enough not to get caught”.

A local Arizona police officer clocked Picket at 68MPH before the hill leveled out. There is a lot of speeding on this hill during the morning commute into town and officers often wait at the bottom to catch the offenders. “The speed limit is 45 MPH because of some blind curves and we just want to keep it safe”, said the officer. “This was the first bicycle speeding ticket to be issued on this hill”.

Picket says see plans on framing the ticket if she can’t get them to lower the $60 fine when see goes to court next month.” Maybe my co-workers will believe me now when I tell them how long it takes me to ride to work”,said Picket."

Link:
http://www.rockhillbikes.com/arizona-woman-charged-with-going-68-in-a-45-zone-on-her-bike

So have you ever been clocked on your bike, if so how fast?

I was clocked at the 2001 Mt. Snow Natitionals during the run down the Open Mid Section. They said I was doing 64mph. It felt more like 54mph, but it was the best race of my life too!!!!! Who knows...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Funny how that works? They get to give you a ticket even though it’s not required by law to have a speedometer on your bike when on the road. Geeeesss the law gets you no matter what!!!!!

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Funny how that works? They get to give you a ticket even though it’s not required by law to have a speedometer on your bike when on the road. Geeeesss the law gets you no matter what!!!!!
Heck, it's not even required to have a license...

or insurance...

... yet.

Those two thoughts frighten me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Picket says see plans on framing the ticket if she can’t get them to lower the $60 fine when see goes to court next month.” Maybe my co-workers will believe me now when I tell them how long it takes me to ride to work”,said Picket."...
Yeah, better story compared to;
"cylist's family sues (insert party other than the rider) in response to crash on a road that took the life of a local cyclist"

I wish people could be responsible, but I have no sympathy for this ticket. If she had crashed at 68mph someone would probably sue on her behalf, or simply those in favor of foam-padding our society would use it as evidence on why we need to lower speed limits and step up enforcement. We had a person die here a few years ago when he decided to go riding in the winter after a rain on a road that had inadequate shoulders. We don't get much rain in the winter (mostly snow), but when it does rain, it clears out fast during the night and the water freezes, and this was such a morning where ice was everywhere. You should have seen the rumors flying though (I worked in a bike shop at the time), people running around and putting blame on everyone and everything. What happened was the rider slipped on the ice...unfortunately into a trailer, the person towing the trailer couldn't do anything about it, but all sorts of crap was flying about as a result of this.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Heck, it's not even required to have a license...

or insurance...

... yet.

Those two thoughts frighten me.
Yep, that's just the point, when people go around breaking these laws like this, it's exactly WHY they make us do even stupider stuff. In the end it's because of us, not "the man".

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In the hills around Johnson City Tennessee I was chasing back on to the lead group in a road race after flatting. I was with a group of 5, and we were trading off pulls on a beautifully re-surfaced, perfectly banked descent. 70mph in the straights and about 65mph through the sweepers. Probably the best 20 minutes of bicycle riding I will ever have in my entire life.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
legally in most states the vehicle codes doesnt say that you have to have a working spedometor in your car either..just an odometer....had a few cops tell me that promptly after getting tickets with fresh larger tires on my truck.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
legally in most states the vehicle codes doesnt say that you have to have a working spedometor in your car either..just an odometer....had a few cops tell me that promptly after getting tickets with fresh larger tires on my truck.
A place here in Asheville got me off with a warning. I went to a tire place that had an odometer testing and re-calibration equipment.

At 30 on the speedometer, I was clocking 32, but by 50 on the dash, I was at 58. Ironicly, that was what I was busted for was 58 in a 50. Granted...I was slamming on the brakes at the time :D

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
On my Foes LTS got to 54mph according to my buddies speedo pacing me in his truck. Going down a hill by our house that is about 10 blocks long.
Got behind a delivery truck pulling out of a parking lot at the top of the hill and drafted him until about half way down. He honked as I passed him - not sure if it was a "thumb's up" honk or a "your an idiot" honk?
That was pushing a 50/11 gear with big (for the time) 2.3 knobby tires.

The next year at a race in Port Angeles (back when bombing fireroads was a "good" DH course) I got to 65.4 according to my little Cat-eye cycling computer. Not sure how accurate it was but I set it up according to the directions?
You started at the top of this hill and after two corners, like a chicane(sp), you had a more or less straight-away that must have been a 10-15% grade for about 300 yards. It was pretty steep considering logging trucks went up and down it? Scary fast.
I started to see my 30 second guy not long after that and almost ran him down by the finish line. I think I finished about 6 seconds behind him. Was in his dust cloud almost the whole course.
That was pushing a 54/11 gear and, luckily at the time, Formula disc brakes.