Quantcast

armed while riding?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
well since i'm going to be going to a ton of states i've never been to before i decided to buy a knife today. it's a kershaw e.t. urban camo knife. the e.t. stands for external toggle which is very weird but it's so nice once you figure out how to use it properly. it came with a mini disk showing all the different ways you can open the knife. it's fairly light, weighs just under a quarter of a pound, and it is sharp as hell.

anybody else ride with a knife or anything else?

here's the video that came with it
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1363664579210559882&q=kershaw
here's a few pictures of it

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Does a Keg hit in the woods?

For light-duty days, I prefer a 4" ATS-34 Benchmade Automatic Tanto. If I venture well off the beaten path alone, however, I select either a 16-shot 10mm Glock Model 20 w/ 200gr JHPs or a 6-shot .44mag Ruger Super Redhawk w/300gr JHPs. To this day, I have never had to reach for any of them with malice in mind.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
nowhere you would want to be
If I feel like I need to carry something to protect myself while riding it is usually a canaster of pepper spray. It shoots about 6 feet and it's great to use for the brave ghetto rides, charging dogs or the pissed off drunk yelling at everyone on the corner. Plus, if you do actually have to use it and the police get involved, it goes over a little better then trying to explain to the police why you stabbed the $hit out of someone.

Your new blade rather cool looking I have to admit

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
jdcamb said:
All I would ever need is the Ruger. Nice weapon. My brother has one. Not exactly fun at the range though.
I'm a big boy, so even offhand shooting is not unpleasant with it. If you want an uncomfortable experience, try a Freedom Arms .454 Casull. Even the new S&W 500 is tame-feeling compared to that handcannon.

digger said:
If I feel like I need to carry something to protect myself while riding it is usually a canaster of pepper spray. It shoots about 6 feet and it's great to use for the brave ghetto rides, charging dogs or the pissed off drunk yelling at everyone on the corner. Plus, if you do actually have to use it and the police get involved, it goes over a little better then trying to explain to the police why you stabbed the $hit out of someone.
I agree with you and what you offer is the more sensible suggestion. Having sprayed myself in the face with that crap accidentally, however, I now choose a more foolish but less accident-prone(for me) option.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Riding/desert/anything where I'll potentially lose/beat the crap out of a knife, I have my CRKT M16. For everyday carry, I have a Benchmade Monochrome and a Griptillian.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
llkoolkeg said:
I agree with you and what you offer is the more sensible suggestion. Having sprayed myself in the face with that crap accidentally, however, I now choose a more foolish but less accident-prone(for me) option.
Accidentally? Fair bit, you were tryin' to huff it while off ya dial, weren't ya?;):rofl:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
cannondalejunky said:
well since i'm going to be going to a ton of states i've never been to before
Gotta be armed for states you've never been in before? Are you serious?

amateur said:
For everyday carry, I have a Benchmade Monochrome and a Griptillian.
You live in Orange County and feel the need to carry a weapon?

What the hell is wrong with you people? I suggest learning how to fight.

digger

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
nowhere you would want to be
llkoolkeg said:
Having sprayed myself in the face with that crap accidentally
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The ONLY reason I am laughing at you for this is because I did the same thing to myself when I was 12! I got ahold of my Moms can of mace and assuming it was breath freshner (I didn't read the can) I opened wide and took a full hard shot to the face..... eyes, mouth, neck, and ears all got a nice painful dose of that nasty stuff. All I rember doing after I did that was running around blind in the garage screaming as loud as I could from the pain "MOMMA, MOMMA, IT BURNS, IT BURNS"!!!!

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
rooftest said:
Gotta be armed for states you've never been in before? Are you serious?

You live in Orange County and feel the need to carry a weapon?

What the hell is wrong with you people? I suggest learning how to fight.
Believe it or not, knives have some utility as well. The last thing I'm going to do is pull a knife on someone in a fight. Pull your head out of your rectum.

That being said, downtown Pomona can get sketchy once the lights go out and I do get a certain sense of security knowing I have something more than my fists.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
digger said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The ONLY reason I am laughing at you for this is because I did the same thing to myself when I was 12! I got ahold of my Moms can of mace and assuming it was breath freshner (I didn't read the can) I opened wide and took a full hard shot to the face..... eyes, mouth, neck, and ears all got a nice painful dose of that nasty stuff. All I rember doing after I did that was running around blind in the garage screaming as loud as I could from the pain "MOMMA, MOMMA, IT BURNS, IT BURNS"!!!!
Your incident is not much different than one I had as a kid. My dad had a can of CS6 left over from a site visit he did while working for the DOD and being a reasonable man, he kept it in his bathroom closet with his dozen spray bottles of cologne. While poking around his bathroom after school as a youth of ~10 years, I decided that I must now be man enough to shave my peach-fuzzed face. Naturally, I needed aftershave to cool my raging razor-burn so I set about sampling all his different fragrances. Halfway though them, I decided to try the mysterious unmarked can. The next 15 minutes of my life were spent screaming fully clothed in the shower wet-sanding my face in my hands as the cold water rained down. My younger brother found me there and ratted me out upon pop's return, scarcely waiting for my vision to return.

My pepper spray incident occurred when the top to a purse-portable cannister I pilferred from my sister came off in my backpack. Reaching in to rummage, I had no idea that the nozzle was now unguarded and I somehow managed to depress it. I promptly inhaled the resulting cloud and the rest was history.

You can see why I am now reluctant to carry anything on my person that comes in a pressurized can. :ouch:

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
ukjason said:
The police here(uk) are having a massive crackdown on knifes plus i think the knife amnesty is still running
why are knives illegal in the uk? i didn't know that!!!

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
would a proper cause be self defense? thats what i carry mine for and i use it to cut stuf around the house like string or wire or stuf like that.

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
when I ride urban/streets
I used to not take anything along untill one night there were about 13 local gang members waiting at our cars, they were looking to get our bikes and what ever else we had..long story short called cops ,got in our cars and hauled ass out of the city..now I bring my permit and Browning Pro-9..never had to use it while riding but had to flash it to a crack head that liked the looks of my bike one night

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
i always carry some type o knife with me riding, lately a pretty lightweight tanto blade Smith & Wesson. I don't carry it for fights, i would never pull a knife in a fight unless i felt my life was truly in danger. A knife however is always good to have wherever you ride. cutting zip ties or quick fixes requiring a sharp blade, digging out bee stingers. carry one on you and u'll find more uses.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I carry a traditional 23lb mace. It makes XC race days so much easier when I leave it at home.