Quantcast

Armor for XC

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
How many of you wear armor and why? Do you sport a full face helmet?

I'm thinking of at least picking up a pair of shin/knee guards and it's going to be time for a new helmet soon. Is full face worth it? It always seemed more for DH to me, but more and more I see XC people wearing full face helmets.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
For gnarlier xc I wear my elbow pads sometimes. Not the full face though. It's tough riding 25+ miles in a full face helmet!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Wear what you need to in order to enjoy the ride. If you take a lot of bumps/shots, wear more padding. I personally only wear gloves (to protect my hands from brush/prickers) and a helmet (duh).

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Wear what you need to in order to enjoy the ride. If you take a lot of bumps/shots, wear more padding. I personally only wear gloves (to protect my hands from brush/prickers) and a helmet (duh).
that's why I'm thinking of going with the knee pads. There a lot of rocks/roots etc. here so I think it would go a long way.

The full face? Not so much. More just curious what peoples opinions are.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
It depends on how handsome you are. :) You shouldn't make the decision based on what the 'other' riders wear. If you are a confident rider and don't mind some scrapes on your face if you beef, then a regular helmet will do.

Wearing body armor is also up to you. Go borrow a friends knee/shin pads for a ride and see if it restricts your movement or chafes you. I'm getting old and can't afford to get hurt anymore so I sometimes wear it on some hairy trails.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
It depends on how handsome you are. :) You shouldn't make the decision based on what the 'other' riders wear. If you are a confident rider and don't mind some scrapes on your face if you beef, then a regular helmet will do.

Wearing body armor is also up to you. Go borrow a friends knee/shin pads for a ride and see if it restricts your movement or chafes you. I'm getting old and can't afford to get hurt anymore so I sometimes wear it on some hairy trails.
Ok, so without sounding like a jerk here, I'm so tired of the "make your own decisions" advise. I'm more than confident enough to do so, I'm simply asking what other people's opinions are.

That being said... I would assume that a well made (and spendy) pair of shin guards would probably be more comfortable than a cheap pair. I hadn't really thought of that.

Anyone have suggestions from experience on a good pair?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I never really understood shin guards. Elbow/knee pads for sure, but do people really bang their shins that often? I think the only time I've ever banged my shin I did it on a pedal, and I think I was probably doing something stupid when it happened. I don't think I've ever whacked my shin during a crash/endo...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'd rec. armor that isn't too constricting, you won't need back of the calf protection for example. Dianesse makes some light, breathable stuff that might be ideal. Most likely you'll have to get what you can find in a shop (usually Fox). Make sure whatever knee-shins you get that they don't creep down off your knee and fit sercurely.

I usually don't wear armor for xc rides, but understand it all depends on the trails your riding and your comfort level.

Good luck Jim!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I never really understood shin guards. Elbow/knee pads for sure, but do people really bang their shins that often? I think the only time I've ever banged my shin I did it on a pedal, and I think I was probably doing something stupid when it happened. I don't think I've ever whacked my shin during a crash/endo...
I've had my wheel kick up a fist sized rock into my shin before.:shocked:

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I'd rec. armor that isn't too constricting, you won't need back of the calf protection for example. Dianesse makes some light, breathable stuff that might be ideal. Most likely you'll have to get what you can find in a shop (usually Fox). Make sure whatever knee-shins you get that they don't creep down off your knee and fit sercurely.

I usually don't wear armor for xc rides, but understand it all depends on the trails your riding and your comfort level.

Good luck Jim!
I'll probably go to a local shop and try some on. I didn't really need anything riding out in California as everything I was riding was pretty smooth single track, but a lot of the trails out here are rocky and get pretty gnarley.

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
i find any protection gets really hot, sometimes unbearable.

think about getting a nice big camelback that can fit armor/helmets while you climb...

i'll second the dianese vote, they make some smaller profile gear. also fox makes some knee/shins that are a little less coverage.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I used to ride with knee/shin guards and elbow/arm guards all the time as I ride very technical/gnarly trails and wasn't a confident or experienced rider. I had pretty good luck with the 661 2x4 & 4x4s. Of course, any armor gets hot, but you do get used to it. The Troy Lee Designs Lopes pads are quite nice too. They seem relatively breathable and are light. I've also used the Fox 911 pads (old style, not the newer ones) and some new Specialized ones too that seem relatively nice.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
vtjim

your in our neck of the woods now!! Put on the Knee and elbow pads! if you are going to be riding lynn a lot you will Need them ! you might even want Full face depending on How much hucking you like to do.
Yeah I know. I lived here for a couple years (a couple years ago) and I usually fall at least once riding Lynn. I'm anticipating more falling!

I've got a bike that can handle big hits, it's just a matter of how big I'll go. I tend to bite off more than I can chew so that kind of prompted this thread.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

My shinbones have a similar profile to my car keys. They always suffer kickback from pedals during a crash and rocks are constantly kicked up into them. Although painful it is a tough area and I've never suffered serious damage so I have never worn protection. After I cracked my kneecap I wore a kneepad for a while. It was too much of a pain in the ass to deal with.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Woodsguy mentions an excellent point -- I very rarely, if ever ride without my glasses (Smith Sequel's with interchangeable lens) and full finger gloves. And, I NEVER ride any trails without my helmet (regular XC not a full face).

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Woodsguy mentions an excellent point -- I very rarely, if ever ride without my glasses (Smith Sequel's with interchangeable lens) and full finger gloves. And, I NEVER ride any trails without my helmet (regular XC not a full face).
I always wear full finger gloves and helmet, and usually wear glasses. I've got a pair of Briko's with clear and yellow lenses.

Just considering further protection.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I wear glasses, full figer gloves, helmet and 661 kyle straits kneepads.:a little hot but they are the only pads that i've found that really stays in place..when i go dh'ing i just add the shin pads.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Probably depends on what the temperature is outside too!! The Fox Mojave glove is the best glove I have ever worn, but it isn’t warm enough when it gets nippy!!! If you are racing XC, I wouldn’t wear anything but gloves and helmet if you want to go light. If its cold out, extra layers are good! The cold stings!!

I’m not about bulky armor, but this site has some nice stuff that isn’t to bulky if you are interested. http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/bicycleproduct.html Scroll down to the bottom.

But don't take my word for it... I'm learning as I go!

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
i cant stand armor for xc riding, unless you are really falling that often id stay away from it. I find it way too restricting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The soft knee pads are popular, like the 661 Tomcats. I wish I had some, I took 3 shots to the legs in the last 2 weeks.