Quantcast

Armor Suggestions

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
This has probably been re-hashed a thousand times....but anyway here goes.

I have never really had the opportunity to ride lift assisted, or race, or shuttle much. My riding is probably classified as more of an all mountain type of riding than downhilling in that regard, though I typically climb/push my bike up two tracks only to reach the fun downhill trails. Armor was never really a consideration because I just figured I'd be too damned hot in all that gear pushing a big ass heavy bike up a hill....so I took the bumps bruises and busted up shins as badges of both honor and stupidity.

Anyway I've always been just a helmet guy.

Next season I am hoping to hit a couple of races and try my hand at this truely down hill specific stuff.

I am thinking that for me some armor will help increase my confidence level and also help protect me a bit better in a crash situation. What would you all suggest? Shin guards and some sort of chest/shoulder protection? What's with these pressure suit things?

I'm kinda armor dumb, and don't wanna go out and buy all the wrong **** and hate what I have, but I also would like some amount of protection.

Do most of you find protecting the shoulders and chest is more important than the shins and knees or do you go the route of both? What about elbows?

I've always gone with tuck, roll, and pray.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
To me it seems like the priorities are:

1. Knee/Shin
2. Elbow/Forearm
3. Torso (chest/spine/shoulders/possibly kidneys)
4. Upper leg/hip

Everywhere that I've ridden every single rider is wearing at the very least a helmet and kneepads. I personally wear knee/shins, elbow/forearms, and a rockgardn trailstar which covers the shoulders, spine and chest. 661's pressure suits and most other brands' equivalents cover the entire upper body, shoulders, elbows, forearms, chest, spine and most come with a belt that wraps around the lower torso where the kidneys are.

Most of the racers (especially the younger ones) I see tend to opt only for kneepads, and what's getting really popular now seems to be the kneepads + leatt brace combo (the leatt isn't technically ARMOR but it's definitely protective gear). Me personally, I like the confidence that more pads give me so I wear a lot. That being said, I'm not 16 anymore and injuries have farther reaching implications than just not being able to ride my bike for a while.

Pressure suits are a nice all in one upper body solution, but I opted for separate elbow guards and chest piece because I felt it would be lest restrictive and it would give me the option to only run elbows if I wanted to.

There are some very good deals on armor on the internet right now. Keep watching Chainlove and other sites and you should be able to find some good stuff on the cheap.

The "cool" thing to do is rock the 661 Kyle Strait knee pads (or equivalent) and the Leatt with your full face. Most of the world cup pros seem to just rock knees and helmet, with more and more getting on the neck brace train. No torso/arm pads to be seen on 90+% of them though..
Frankly, although arm pads aren't the coolest looking, if you go down fast and hard, it's likely you'll hit your arm in some way, so I wear them. I used to wear a torso suit for resort riding and racing, but it's cumbersome (especially with the Leatt) and makes you look like a football player. So yes, I gave in to the pressure of looks, but also I found being comfortable with a Leatt on was more important than preventing scrapes/bruises on my shoulders/chest/back. That being said, if I were racing a real rocky, demanding course, I might bring it back out.

It all comes down to calculation of risks. I know that arm pads don't look super sick, but they also have saved me from many a gruesome forearm scrape and even a potential break a couple of times.
I know that at Whistler I've had falls after which I was thankful for wearing all those pads, but I also know that when I rode there without torso suit, I was much more comfortable. I found that I know pretty well where that "envelope" is, so if I'm not pushing it (i.e. race-pace on double blacks every run), then I know my chance of a big fall goes way down.
A race, however, sees you pushing the envelope more, so I don't get why so many pros don't rock very many pads. I mean sure they're going fast enough that they have bigger things to worry about than bruising an elbow, but they have to be able to ride week in/week out, so you'd think they'd pad up a bit more.

In short: get a Leatt, protect your neck and your ability to walk. Get pads for whatever part of your body you don't want to hurt and to help you feel comfortable pushing yourself to go faster.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have basically everything, outside of a leatt brace, and find myself alternating depending on conditions and location. Scarier, "fall and die" kind of places merit the upper body armor, smoother trails and hot days necessitate elbows and knee/shins.

I don't know what's hot for knee/shin pads, but make sure to start out with a good set of combo pads and not just knees. Otherwise you'll end up with gashes all over your shins from flat pedals and trees.
I like combo elbow guards to prevent rash. I usually opt for these rather than the upper body suit when it's really hot, I'm not really trying, or I'm just fed up with it.
The upper suit definitely builds confidence when trying something sketchy, but they can be pretty restrictive and they're definitely hot in the summertime. Mine doesn't fit well, either, and I hate being uncomfortable.

For a beginner, full face, kneeshins, elbows, and you should be fine. I have a set of padded shorts, but I rarely use them and haven't really missed them even in crashes.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I don't know what's hot for knee/shin pads, but make sure to start out with a good set of combo pads and not just knees. Otherwise you'll end up with gashes all over your shins from flat pedals and trees.
my shins are trashed from powerlifting (bar hitting on deadlifts) and from pedals most of the year, I've learned to tolerate it.

Whomever said they were getting older I feel that pain, I took what seemed like it should have been a very simple fall on my BMX a few weeks back, almost a month now, and although the skin on my arm is grown back the pain in my upper back/shoulder blade area is still pretty bad.

Keep the suggestions coming. I do already have plans to wear my motocross helmet as a full face for now.

Sounds like neck protection and shin guards may be my next steps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I might be the only one to believe this, but I'd hold off on a leatt and invest in good quality pads of other varieties before you commit to one. They're pretty expensive, and for a beginner, you're probably not going fast enough or launching far enough to really need one, vs. falling repeatedly on low and slow trails. If you can afford one, go for it, for sure, but for the price of the lowest end model, you can get a full setup of riding gear (ie nylon shorts for protection and a jersey to keep cool) plus elbows and knees, or maybe a decent 1952 helmet. The braces certainly have their merit, but if your average speed isn't that high, and you're not following around your pro friends off everything, invest in lots of little things rather than the one big.

I have raceface kneeshins that are OK, stitching is crap but they've provided adequate protection for two years. Would really like something that fits a little better in the knee area though.
Fox 911 or something elbows...those have been great.
Dainese upper body suit...good fit but it's a little tight in the chest. I should probably be a size up. I guess euros are small.
Giro Remedy helmet...great helmet for little money. Looks goofy.
Smith goggles...great protection from dust and dirt...surprising how comfortable i was in them as compared to glasses.
Get some decent riding shorts too...I have troy lee sprint shorts. If you wreck, they won't tear, which is a huge asset compared to cotton.

Good luck!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
For the love of christ, whatever you do, DO NOT wear a roost guard. Goddamn, that has to be my number 1 pet peeve with DH-ers. OMFG you're not riding behind someone roosting all over you, the roost guard is pointless. If you want some kind of light shoulder/back/chest/no arm protection get a core saver or something.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
A race, however, sees you pushing the envelope more, so I don't get why so many pros don't rock very many pads. I mean sure they're going fast enough that they have bigger things to worry about than bruising an elbow,
Count how many of the top pros actually "crash" in their race runs. Aside from Champery, not very many. Their riding at a level beyond what most of us can imagine. Their lines/speed/technique/mental game are so much more dialed than any of ours.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Count how many of the top pros actually "crash" in their race runs. Aside from Champery, not very many. Their riding at a level beyond what most of us can imagine. Their lines/speed/technique/mental game are so much more dialed than any of ours.
Also, at that level, it's arguably more important to be comfortable than it is to be safe. To compete at the highest level, you may have to make sacrifices, especially if it means that crucial second or two from being a little looser on the bike.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Who has found a good elbow/forearm pad? The trick is to have them stay in place not be too tight, and not be too hot or absorb too much sweat. Good knee pads are easy to find but elbows are tough. I wear a full face, tld knee pads, fox padded under shorts, and a chest/back mx roost protector.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Whatever you buy, be sure to wear it. I forgot my Dainese jacket in the basement on my last ride and now I'm out for a few months.

I went for an armour jacket partly for the sake of not having elbow pads that constantly slide. Everything stays in place well. It's hot, but it's saved my hack-ass plenty of times.

As for knee/shin, I'd also go for full/knee shin. When was the last time you had hot shins?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
To compete at the highest level, you may have to make sacrifices, especially if it means that crucial second or two from being a little looser on the bike.
EXACTLY. You see barrel at the worlds? Just off a dislocated knee and knee surgery. NO knee pads or braces on his race run. Insane skill and balls. SUPER calculating. That run was amazing. Probably the most exciting race run ever.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
my shins are trashed from powerlifting (bar hitting on deadlifts) and from pedals most of the year, I've learned to tolerate it.
No matter how trashed they are, knee pads dont stop alien objects going through your shin.

Im swapping out the kyle straits now, POC seem to be the way to go, aswell as pants.

My setup is:
D2
Leatt
661 Coresaver
Troy Lee/Royal Pants
Poc Knee Shin
Fiveten

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Who has found a good elbow/forearm pad? The trick is to have them stay in place not be too tight, and not be too hot or absorb too much sweat. Good knee pads are easy to find but elbows are tough. I wear a full face, tld knee pads, fox padded under shorts, and a chest/back mx roost protector.
I love my foxes, but they aren't made anymore. Stitching is perfect, not too tight but could be snugger fitting, don't slide around. I haven't found a set of kneeshins I love yet.

As for knee/shin, I'd also go for full/knee shin. When was the last time you had hot shins?
Have to agree...not bleeding from the lower leg is fun. I painted my pedals and now have plenty of yellow marks all over my pads...and I run 5.10s and atomlab pedals.

Very true, I guess their sense of that "envelope" is developed far beyond that of most recreational racers. But it's unfortunate that you see so many up and coming racers ditching the armor just to look like the pros. Even if you've been racing for years and are making podiums at the Cat 1 level, it only takes one misjudged turn/jump/rock garden to go down hard.
It's all about risk vs. reward I guess

P.S. Sam at Andorra? lucky he didn't hit that big rock below the fade-away he bailed on at mach chicken..
But still, you're right that they are in a league above anybody else and can do whatever they want :) haha

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
P.S. Sam at Andorra? lucky he didn't hit that big rock below the fade-away he bailed on at mach chicken..
But still, you're right that they are in a league above anybody else and can do whatever they want :) haha
Ha ha, true, I was thinking about that crash as I was writing my champery exemption :P. Maybe they're just luckier than us too?

.Eben.

Chimp
Mar 31, 2009
For the love of christ, whatever you do, DO NOT wear a roost guard. Goddamn, that has to be my number 1 pet peeve with DH-ers. OMFG you're not riding behind someone roosting all over you, the roost guard is pointless. If you want some kind of light shoulder/back/chest/no arm protection get a core saver or something.
If you're talking about a true roost guard then I agree, but something like the TLD Body Guard actually works really well. I wore a Pressure Suit at the beginning of the season, hurt my shoulder, and was out for almost 2 months. Next race, I reinjured it. I've been running the Body Guard ever since then and have had no injuries. I still crash, but I just bounce right up. It looks pretty dorky, but its super light and comfortable.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I ended up with four broken ribs, a cracked sternum, and a broken knee this year in one spectacular wreck at the finish line..... I was wearing everything aside a leatt/neck brace.

Just imagine how much woirse it would have been without the body armor or knee/shin pads.

I use mostly evs stuff, mainly because it works, it fits me, and lastly because I am sponsored. Whatever you wear, make sure it fits right, and like Dapeach said........ Remember to wear it.

Like Sandwich, I will wear more or less depending on the course, and conditions. Fontana I will normally wear knee/shin, elbow, FF and gloves. These last two races warranted wearing it all. Alot of spots that were hi consequence for failure in this last race.

My list of what I have
EVS

BJultrax jersey
EVS wb01 wrist guards
evs sc05 knee/shin combo

roach for arms when I am not wearing the body armor
fox bomber gloves

Helmet
I have three
FF Vigor vamoose2...its light, breathes well, has my camera mounts
Azonic fury..... it was free, needed a new helmet for racing that fit a little better than the vamoose
Speccy Propero...... for lite xc/ am rides.

Wear it, love it, live longer without pain. I say wear it instead of use it, we never actually want to be using it

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
No matter how trashed they are, knee pads dont stop alien objects going through your shin.

Im swapping out the kyle straits now, POC seem to be the way to go, aswell as pants.

My setup is:
D2
Leatt
661 Coresaver
Troy Lee/Royal Pants
Poc Knee Shin
Fiveten
How do you like it? I am going to start wearing exactly what you have except I have troy lee shorts and right now an answer jersey. How do you like the coresaver? Is it 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation coresaver?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I also change my armour to suit what I'm riding. I have to admit I'm a bit of a safety first freak (why do I even ride DH, I dunno?!), so even if it's tame messing about on easy tracks I have; TLD knee shins with 661 Padlock, Dainese spine guard, Alpinestars elbow/forearm pads, Leatt brace, 661 Evo helmet and Oakley googles. If I'm riding somewhere a bit faster/steeper/rougher, I'll put on my Dainese safety jacket as well, which I have cut the elbow/forearm pads off of so I can use my Alpine stars elbow pads. I'm also considering some under shorts as well for the really rocky tracks, had a few deep bruises in my thighs that could have been prevented by them.

That brings up another point; painful as it might be when you have spent a lot of money on it, don't be afraid to cut and chop up your armour to make it fit. Like I say, I cut the arms off my Dainese, and I cut the mesh in the torso as well cos it was a bit tight around the chest. It's more of a waste of money buying something that you irritates you and you resent wearing (you might not even bother wearing it at all in the end).

I can understand why people run the knee pad and helmet only combos, because it does feel really comfortable and loose, but personally I don't think that is worth the pain and the time off the bike from injury.

Aug 11, 2009
halifax
Not sure whats on your trails, but around here there is a lot of rock, exposed rock, rock gardens, techy rock, all kinds of rock, so no matter which way you slice it, crashing on that hurts, even the slo-mo ones.

If your trails are mostly dirt then it might be different.

Given that, I always wear knee/shin pads, if I'm being silly, also elbow pads (661 4X4/4X2) when just trail riding. I'm so used to wearing them all the time, when I don't, I feel neeecked.

Then when adding lift/shuttle gravity fun to the equation, I add a core saver and FF. After the first run I don't even notice I'm wearing it.

I'd rather be a little uncomfortable and be able to keep riding, than have a couple runs and then be out for the next while... for me its not a question of if I crash, but when...

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
To whoever was asking about elbows, I've only owned two, the Fox Launch and the POC pads. I much preferred the Launch set although I think the POC elbows that I have are different from the final release version (mine don't have the elastic sleeve that goes around the arm for some reason). I actually fell in my POC pads and the pads themselves scraped a 3"x2" patch of skin off my forearm.

The Launch pads however, fit fantastically and have never moved in a crash. They're a little on the thin side though, and I bought the POC set because a rock tore a chunk out of the Launch pads when I crashed in them.