Quantcast

Armstrong surrenders yellow jersey

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Lance has been trying to get rid of the yellow jersey since he got it, but the damn sprinter teams kept reeling in the breakways. Now CSC has to go to the front and set the pace for a few days and the discovery boys get to rest.

J

JRB

While not in front, discovery looked awfully strong today for yesterday to have been an accident. Good bluff for the news though. :think:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Yeah, I think he was bluffing for sure. You know his team is so well prepared, the chances of them all falling apart at the same time like that that is so slim, especially on a mountain which is where you know they are the MOST well prepared. Anyway, I think he was bluffing right before the big mountain stage... it makes sence that he was trying to get T mobile and CSC to attack him and run themselves down, but why do it 2 days before a rest day?

Anyway, I think he is trying to get T mobile and/or CSC to do something stupid. Every year he is the best strategist in the game, I'm sure he is again this year.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The good thing about not having the Yellow jersey, is that you don't have to react to each attack. After looking at the standings it looks like Lance is still the top major "contender". Too bad about Zab' dropping out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet CSC keeps the yellow jersey today.;)

The chances of Voight keeping the jersey into the big mountains is slim. I don't see why CSC would put the work into defending it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:

The chances of Voight keeping the jersey into the big mountains is slim. I don't see why CSC would put the work into defending it.
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcWU3ZWcyBF9TAzk1OTEyNTc0BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=reu-tourbasso&prov=reuters&type=lgns

German Jens Voigt took the yellow jersey off Armstrong on Sunday and Riis said his team is not going to make the pace for the American.

"Armstrong is the one who is here to win the Tour and ... he has to take responsibilities in the race. The pressure is on his shoulders not on ours.

"He gave the jersey away yesterday (Sunday) but we are not going to do his job."
If find the middle quote telling... So what the he!! are they at the Tour for? I guess they are there to parade around France. This is the same attitude that has been pervasive in the peleton for the last 5 years and look what its gotten them, a big fat 0fer.

At least T-Mobile showed some heart with the attacks on Saturday, which is really a first. And even then those were disfunctional at best. Even when he let Kloden go, Vino and Jan (and the rest of those left) should have kept right on attacking until Lance couldn't follow. All they did was confirm to Lance that he can cover Vino without killing himself and that Jan and the rest might not be strong enough to attack under those circumstances.

I've said it before that the only way that they can beat Lance is that if everyone throws the kitchen sink at him. Not just one team but all of them. Especially with him isolated for the first time, in what 5 years, they should have never let him off the ropes because its so so very rare to get him there.

I think in the end they are scared of Lance and what testing him really means.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Westy said:

i called that move days ago. i figured it would have been a bit sooner though in all honesty. i figured the day that the little 24 yr old dutch kid went off was going to bet jens day. discovery would have given no real chase to jens simply b/c they know in the real mtns he's not going to be there when the pace is kicked through the roof.
this effectively takes a bit of pressure off armstrong b/c he no longer has to defend in the mtns like he's done on one stage. however, in the same token it throws it down his throat b/c he has to be the old dominate man in the mtn like he was in the past......at this age can he still simply ride away with his perfectly timed attacks?
gonna be a good show down

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
DRB said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcWU3ZWcyBF9TAzk1OTEyNTc0BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=reu-tourbasso&prov=reuters&type=lgns

This is the same attitude that has been pervasive in the peleton for the last 5 years and look what its gotten them, a big fat 0fer.
No shi+, what a bunch of pvssies. "were not going to do his job for him", "Its his job to win the tour... the burden is on his shoulders not ours".

Sound really confident dont they? Eager even? If I was a sponsor and a rider that I was paying was talking like that... I'd be like, "we pay you to get out there and try to phucking win, not to whine like a diper ridden baby when some responsibility and even a little opportunity is shown. See you next year... NOT!!!!"