Quantcast

Armstrong warns rivals he will be ready for Tour

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
El Jefe said:
When will they learn. Same thing every year. Lance peaks at the TdF. It's what he does.
Arguably the most successful and uncopied strategy in professional sport.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
For the sake of keeping things interesting I hope that Basso's performance in the giro is not a fortelling of his performance in the TdF.

Before the giro I thought Basso might be Lance's only legit threat, but now I'm not so sure.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
For the sake of keeping things interesting I hope that Basso's performance in the giro is not a fortelling of his performance in the TdF.

Before the giro I thought Basso might be Lance's only legit threat, but now I'm not so sure.
What is your thinking behind this? I thought Basso did not contend because of stomach issues, he was riding strong until puking his brains out for a stage. Was he too strong at the Giro? For a peak at Le Tour he certainly would not have to have been all that strong during the Giro, Lance wouldn't either try nor could contend at the Giro if he was concentrating on the Tour.

Either way Basso is a class act and I would love to see him win.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Westy said:
What is your thinking behind this? I thought Basso did not contend because of stomach issues, he was riding strong until puking his brains out for a stage. Was he too strong at the Giro? For a peak at Le Tour he certainly would not have to have been all that strong during the Giro, Lance wouldn't either try nor could contend at the Giro if he was concentrating on the Tour.

Either way Basso is a class act and I would love to see him win.

I dig him too, and I hope he is in shape to contend. I think that if Basso and Lance remain healthy and their respective teams stay intact that he is Lance's only real threat. But I would prefer another victory for Lance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
I dig him too, and I hope he is in shape to contend. I think that if Basso and Lance remain healthy and their respective teams stay intact that he is Lance's only real threat. But I would prefer another victory for Lance.
I like Basso for all the reasons I'm not the biggest Lance fan. The dude is a humble and classy competitor, he just lets his performance do the talking.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Damn True said:
I think that Basso is Lance's only real threat.
You don't see Ullrich, Kloden, Vino, Floyd, Levi, or someone from the spanish armada as real threats? Plus, I believe Basso was peaking for the Giro this year. Bjarne Riis wanted him to get a giro win under his bent before making a run for the TdF. It was just unfortunate that he came down with a stomach virus. I see him being an animatior of the tour, but not a threat for the overall.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Westy said:
Arguably the most successful and uncopied strategy in professional sport.

Haha, now now. What I'm saying is that while other riders train to peak at TdF, they also have other races on which they focus a bit more attention than does Lance.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
So will Lance sweep the field again this year?

Or should he have hung up his lycra after last year because he is gonna have the smackdown given to him?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Damn True said:
While all of those guys are fantastic riders, I don't think any of them have a strong enough team to handle Discovery/Lance.
if mobile would support 'A' rider (vino) they could possible beat him. Their triple threat strategy sucks.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
N8 said:
Or should he have hung up his lycra after last year because he is gonna have the smackdown given to him?
I say he should just kill himself before the TdF, to avoid the agonized life of the athlete whose fame dies before he does! Actually, I have to admit, I kind of got the idea from A.E. Houseman:

To An Athlete Dying Young

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the marketplace;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

Today the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay
And early through the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears.

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honors out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

So set before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still defended challenge cup.

And round that early-laureled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl’s.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Why would any other outcome other than the one from the last 6 years be expected?

One challenger will most likely step up but eventually that person will crack on one of the climbs or give it away in a time trial.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DRB said:
Why would any other outcome other than the one from the last 6 years be expected?

One challenger will most likely step up but eventually that person will crack on one of the climbs or give it away in a time trial.
maybe somebody has found the secret to lances success?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stinkyboy said:
Then rolled over and hit it.
What a disgusting picture. For a minute I was expecting to see a bulge in her nether region.