Quantcast

Art and Copy

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Saw this last night at the River Run Film festival :

http://www.artandcopyfilm.com/

Ever wonder how we all get brainwashed into memorizing "I want my MTV" or "I’d like to teach the world to sing" from Coca-Cola or Wendy’s "Where’s the beef?" Some advertising slogans, which may deeply resonate with us, have a way of burrowing into our brain, and yet it’s unlikely that we ever think about how they were created or where they came from. Even as mature and informed adults, we’re still a bit mystified by the advertising world. For instance, the average city dweller encounters up to 5,000 advertisements a day, and yet most of us don’t have the faintest idea how advertisers go about trying to capture our attention. Art & Copy takes audiences deep inside the advertising world to pull back the curtain and explain how some of the most famous ad campaigns of all time originated. Chock full of in-depth interviews, archival footage and fascinating research, this film explains how some of the most iconic images of the last 30 years came into being and how, more often than not, the decision-making processes were hardly clear cut. With images from political commercials like President Johnson’s "The stakes are too high to stay home," President Reagan’s "It’s morning again in America” or Nike’s "Just Do It" campaign, commercials have a bafflingly significant role in both our daily life and in the depth of our country’s psyche. Advertising’s profound effect on our culture is unquestionable, and Doug Pray’s film makes what has been a fairly unknown world a bit more understandable. With close to $3 billion spent on political advertising in 2008 alone, the advertising industry has become one of the strongest in the country. Commercials during the Superbowl are sold at nearly $3 million for 30 seconds of airtime. And with the media as our most important current information resource, advertising affects all of us in one way or another. Go on and acknowledge it. Just do it.
- riverrunfilm.com

Very interesting film. Check it out if you get a chance.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
“The movie looks at advertising not as products flying off the shelf but as the work of a few American heroes who feel passionately about their craft, ideas, and the ability of ideas to change how people feel.”

:clapping: