Quantcast

Artists...paint question

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm making another attempt at painting my own helmet. I've come up with the design below but have some questions regarding the technique. I don't have a bunch of fancy paint gear and a ton of talent so freehand is pretty much out of the question. Would it be possible in your mind to get a vinyl paint mask done up for this design. I imagine, following the lightest to darkest guideline I'll end up spraying the entire helmet white, followed by the green fade and then masking the top of the helmet off to spray the black. If a vinyl mask is the way to go here, where do I get something like that done? I'm sure I'll need the design in-hand and scaled properly already, that's not a big deal, but will a regular sign shop be able to whip this up for me?

Attachments

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
your image is blocked by my firewall...

but I will tell you that you can get stuff at most craft stores that is called "frisket". It is clear and the backing is like tracing paper. You can do your design on the computer etc. lay it out on a table and then trace and cut through the frisket with a pencil and then exacto knife.

hope this helps a little... if you post the pic using ridemonkey's pic hosting maybe I can try to give a more accurate description!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
my advice... (2 ways to accomplish this forward or backward! )

option 1
scuff the helmet with a scotchbrite pad and clean with denatured alcohol...
paint the whole thing white...
drink a couple o beers and wait for it to dry...
do your green fade...
drink a beer and wait for it to dry...
stare at helmet and go to bed (it is better to do the next step sober)
apply frisket of the outline of the trees that will cover the green (sky section) and white top of the helmet and mask with plastic and masking tape any sections of the helmet the frisket doesn't cover...
then paint the black on the bottom...
peel off the frisket and celebrate with another beer as you clear coat the crap out of it!

Option 2
scuff with scotchbrite pad and wipe down with alcohol...
paint the bottom of the helmet black...
as described above there is required time to allow to dry... drink a beer my friend, drink a beer!
add frisket of the trees that you want to stay black...
paint the rest white...
allow to dry and you know D.A.B!
then fade the green over top
allow to dry... D.A.B.
peel off frisket and clearcoat while enjoying a beer!

You can go to your local sign shop with the file (usually in an eps or a pfd format) and they can cut it out of vinyl... but sometimes the "weeding" process can be a bitch... and then the vinyl is meant to stay on... so it may pull off your fresh paint! frisket is what I would choose! also you may be able to find liquid frisket that you paint on and then cut while on the helmet (freehand) that way you can really get a feel for the contours of the helmet! either way your helmet will be cooler than most just cause you made it!
Keep up the homebrew spirit my friend! :thumb:
:cheers:

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
If you don't mind playing with some 'fun' chemicals, I would silkscreen that. I think the details of the trees would come out better. I've never squeegeed ink/paint on a curved surface though...but I know it can be done.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
If you don't mind playing with some 'fun' chemicals, I would silkscreen that. I think the details of the trees would come out better. I've never squeegeed ink/paint on a curved surface though...but I know it can be done.
I have and you wouldn't want to!

If you were to print it on a curved surface you would want to use a "pad printer" :thumb:

PS. BDNA, rattle cans will work fine for that design for sure!