Quantcast

as far as a race bike goes, what would you get from Specialized or Cannondale?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've got a 2005 Demo8, and while it works, I don't think it's a great race bike. The back end is just too short. I've got a small, and I'm 5'9", so that could be why. The bike just gets sketchy at high speeds.

I have little experience with the Cannondale, but have seen torn off floater arms.

I would check out a V10, a 224, a Sunday, a Morewood, a PMC, etc.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Get the Demo 8 II and be done with it.
The guy above is on the wrong size frame for his height.
I know alot of guys on the Demo 8 that switched from M3's
and DHRs and like the Demo better as a race bike. I have also seen my friends hop on that bike and start smoking right away.
You won't be disappointed, just don't judge the wheelbase by what size frame you get. The Demo has a long wheelbase, and short chainstays, so make sure you get the right size.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
5'9 on a small? :think:

And also, are V10, 224, Sunday, Morewood, and PMC made by Specialized or Cannondale? :rolleyes:

Thanks Jeremy :) you actually know people that have gone from DHRs and M3s to demos?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BigMike said:
5'9 on a small? :think:

And also, are V10, 224, Sunday, Morewood, and PMC made by Specialized or Cannondale? :rolleyes:

Thanks Jeremy :) you actually know people that have gone from DHRs and M3s to demos?
Yes. 3 that I am thinking of from DHR's and 1 from a M3 last year.
Don't me wrong, all of those bikes are great race bikes, and people have different preferences for different reasons, I just don't think you would be disappointed with one for sure. You should test ride one just to make sure, that is what I did.:)
Now all these guys are on the East Coast as well, but then again, I don't buy into that "East Coast race bike" stuff. A race bike is a race bike.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jeremy R said:
Yes. 3 that I am thinking of from DHR's and 1 from a M3 last year.
Don't me wrong, all of those bikes are great race bikes, and people have different preferences for different reasons, I just don't think you would be disappointed with one for sure. You should test ride one just to make sure, that is what I did.:)
Now all these guys are on the East Coast as well, but then again, I don't buy into that "East Coast race bike" stuff. A race bike is a race bike.

Well, I'm on the east coast :)

I just want a race bike that is more race geomety than my RMX. I thought I was gonna be working at a shop that carried Ironhorse, and was gonna get a Sunday, but now i'm not so sure. So now i'm kinda stuck to Cdale and Specialized. I've seen quite a few Demo8s, and they are SWEEET. And the Package it comes with is just amazing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't know of anything from Cannondale that I would race, but I also wanted to race an RMX and couldn't afford the coin. For me, thr RMX was PERFECT! I would race a Sunday if I had stupid money too. The Demo is a nice setup, but it's not my first choice.

Since budget for me was an issue, I built my race bike this year for less than you can buy a Fox 40.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jimmydean said:
I don't know of anything from Cannondale that I would race, but I also wanted to race an RMX and couldn't afford the coin. For me, thr RMX was PERFECT! I would race a Sunday if I had stupid money too. The Demo is a nice setup, but it's not my first choice.

Since budget for me was an issue, I built my race bike this year for less than you can buy a Fox 40.

Really? Thats interesting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my RMX, Rocky Mountain hit the nail on the head with that one.........for freeride/ladder/drop oriented stuff. I raced on it last year, I raced on a Norco Shore the year before that, and this year, i'm trying to step it up a bit, I'm moving into expert, and I would like to race a bike thats more "race oriented." Thats why i'm seriously considering the Demo8. After everything i've seen about it, and heard from people on here, and seeing/riding them in person, I think its a pretty good race bike, and a much better (and lighter) choice than the Demo9 for race only puposes.

And yes, I am talking about DH racing.

And yes, a Ducati 999 :drool: would be a good race bike ;)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BigMike said:
Really? Thats interesting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my RMX, Rocky Mountain hit the nail on the head with that one.........for freeride/ladder/drop oriented stuff. I raced on it last year, I raced on a Norco Shore the year before that, and this year, i'm trying to step it up a bit, I'm moving into expert, and I would like to race a bike thats more "race oriented." Thats why i'm seriously considering the Demo8. After everything i've seen about it, and heard from people on here, and seeing/riding them in person, I think its a pretty good race bike, and a much better (and lighter) choice than the Demo9 for race only puposes.

And yes, I am talking about DH racing.

And yes, a Ducati 999 :drool: would be a good race bike ;)
As for the RMX, since this is my first year racing, I don't know how well it would do on a given course. But of all the bikes I have ridden, it felt the best at high speed, so that's why I wanted to race it. When I rode the RMX, it WANTED to go fast and it handled like a dream.

I still think your better off going with anything other thn the c-dale, and it sounds like the demo would be a great choice.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
dhbuilder said:
cannondale ?

you're joking right ?
don't think he is there, buddy.
i have no experince with the judge, but it will be a fair bit lighter then a demo 8 and the geo looks dead on for flat out high speed. looks like it might be almost to long for east cost, but i would realy have to ride it to tell.
coming off a rmx and wanting a race bike, you can't go wrong with eather. look at where you'll be racing and see what bike has better geo for it. then look at weight, $, spec, asthetics, whatever else is important to you.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
spacemanspiff06 said:
don't think he is there, buddy.
i have no experince with the judge, but it will be a fair bit lighter then a demo 8 and the geo looks dead on for flat out high speed. looks like it might be almost to long for east cost, but i would realy have to ride it to tell.
coming off a rmx and wanting a race bike, you can't go wrong with eather. look at where you'll be racing and see what bike has better geo for it. then look at weight, $, spec, asthetics, whatever else is important to you.

Exactly. I was checking out the judge, but....... besides being RETARDEDLY expensive, the geo is kinda weird for racing around here. I'm thinkin Demo, unless I pull off somthing really cool, I'll prolly get one in a month :D

So far, no one has said a Demo8 sucks for racing, and thats what I wanted to make sure of :) I know its personal preferance and all that, but I value some of the peoples opinions on here. (some, definantly not all :))

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
wow i just noticed I put this thread in the Lounge, not the DH forum. :rolleyes:

Thats what you get for posting when you're tired!

(Mods, if you want to move it, it'd be appreciated :))