Quantcast

As I get older...

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I believe more and more in the value of photos. We all have unique lives and have experiences and see things that others will not. I recommend that everybody get an online journal and keep it up to date with photos and maybe even a little commentary. You will be glad you did years down the road when all you have to remember your life by are vague memories. There are so many times and experiences in my own younger years that I would love to have photos of, but don't. The advantage to having it online is that your friends and family can keep up to date with what you are doing. For those of you that don't want to pay anything to do it, I recommend www.blogspot.com.
It's free, super easy to set up and upload photos, has almost unlimited photo space and has no annoying adverts or banners.. It is customizeable to a degree for newbs but for those who know their way around, its fully customizeable.

You'll thank me for it later.....

The only bad thing about blogspot is there is no way to make it private if you want it that way. Just don't put up stuff that could get you in trouble etc ;)

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I agree Derek. As I've gone to digital that aren't as many prints made to pass around with family, friends, etc. We pass cds or e-mail files but it isn't the same. I maintain a website for a group of us that get together for college football games loaded with pictures to keep everyone in the loop that may not be able to attend. I've been meaning to do a personal site for some time now but it's time to get of my ass.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't like to think of the number of shots I have lost due to system issues or changes. I use Yahoo Photo for a place to put stuff because you can make it private or not. I also pile stuff on my Comcast personal space without an index, so you don't know it's there.

I read an interesting article a while back about the number of acidental shots that no longer happen with the advent of digital media. With film, it is saved even when you think it might not matter. Where as digital, you never know when a shot might mean something later.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
BAH said:
You will be glad you did years down the road when all you have to remember your life by are vague memories.
My bro-in-law and I just had this conversation about our numerous riding road trips.

Without checking the photos/vids we have trouble remembering who was AWOL during which trips, etc.

Having said that, 99.99% of the blogs that I have seen are comprised of drivel that is only interesting to the writer and perhaps their very immediate family/friends.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
justsomeguy said:
Having said that, 99.99% of the blogs that I have seen are comprised of drivel that is only interesting to the writer and perhaps their very immediate family/friends.
i think you are being generous. :D

but then again, that would be my target audience.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
jimmydean said:
Where as digital, you never know when a shot might mean something later.
The only time I delete a picture is if it is completely out of focus or of nothing. Ex. my son hitting the shutter release a bunch of times while the camera was sitting on my desk. I did save the one where he got a picture of himself accidentally. :D

Does anyone have any experience with software that would create a slideshow that I could put on a DVD or CD? I would like for it to package the slide show as a web page or as an executable.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
narlus said:
i think you are being generous. :D

but then again, that would be my target audience.
Exactly. Actually the point of doing this would be for memories for the author FIRST. Then family and friends, then anyone else looking on :)

JimmyDean- Sorry, you aren't going to convince me that film is better than digital. There's just no argument anymore. If you're concerned about losing accidental shots that "might" mean something later, just don't delete any shots ;) I'd rather lose one or two accidentaly than have gigs of space full of crap shots though......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Morryjg said:
The only time I delete a picture is if it is completely out of focus or of nothing. Ex. my son hitting the shutter release a bunch of times while the camera was sitting on my desk. I did save the one where he got a picture of himself accidentally. :D
i used to keep everything, but have found that a lot of pictures just aren't worth saving...despite how cheap hard drives are, i do cull through the pictures i take for a particular batch and only keep ones which i think are worthwhile.

in the 3 months i've had my new camera, i've taken over 5000 pictures. there's a lot of junk in there. :D

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
justsomeguy said:
My bro-in-law and I just had this conversation about our numerous riding road trips.

Without checking the photos/vids we have trouble remembering who was AWOL during which trips, etc.

If you get one going, I'd love to check it out. I'm sure you have some more great boating photos and road trip stuff.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
justsomeguy said:
only interesting to the writer and perhaps their very immediate family/friends.

That is absolutely the target audience of my girlfriend's and my site. Since we both moved out here from the east coast it's just an occasional update for anyone who gives a damn.

I would like to get my own going with some more bike specific content......

But then again I'd rather be riding than fvcking around with updates. I know my limitations.:)

You keep quite a nice one however.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
kidwoo said:
That is absolutely the target audience of my girlfriend's and my site. Since we both moved out here from the east coast it's just an occasional update for anyone who gives a damn.

I would like to get my own going with some more bike specific content......

But then again I'd rather be riding than fvcking around with updates. I know my limitations.:)

You keep quite a nice one however.
Thats the beauty of the blogspot one actually. It takes about 30 seconds to upload photos and post a small writeup...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
TN and I have a blog on blog spot. I always thought they were so lame but he got one started up. I don't post like he does, but its still really cool. We've met some cool people so far and are having a lot of fun with it.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
laura said:
TN and I have a blog on blog spot. I always thought they were so lame but he got one started up. I don't post like he does, but its still really cool. We've met some cool people so far and are having a lot of fun with it.
Yeah the way some people use them are. But when you post, just remember you are keeping a log of your life and it starts to be fun. Do you mind sharing it?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
BAH said:
Yeah the way some people use them are. But when you post, just remember you are keeping a log of your life and it starts to be fun. Do you mind sharing it?
Yeah, I know. But ours focusses on wine, food, photography and music more than anything else, wine mostly, and since TN loves wine way more than me, he usually takes control. i tend to post recipes, when i find the motivation.

Here's the link.....

http://see-sip-taste-hear.blogspot.com/

I wanted to branch off and do my own, but i don't have **** to talk about really.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Because the grandparents live 850 miles away, I started posting photos of our first daughter as soon as she was born. I now have over 850 pics online of our 2 kids. The grandparents love it, and will get on my case if I've gone over a week without posting new pics.

http://www.pixelninja.net/pics/evelyn - 639 images encompassing the first 2 years of my first daughter's life.

http://www.pixelninja.net/pics/girls - 212 images of both of my daughters, starting with the birth of #2.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
I don't like to think of the number of shots I have lost due to system issues or changes.
I think you mean, "I don't like to think of the number of shots I have lost due to my poor or lack of backup methods".

With film, it is saved even when you think it might not matter. Where as digital, you never know when a shot might mean something later.
I, and many of my family members, have the absolute opposite experience. We keep everything unless it's totally unusable/unrecognizable, in which case, the item would have been thrown out of a set of prints, too. Everything else gets archived.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Seeing as I end up writing code or copy all day, i get rather tired of it at night. I am using a pretty simple gallery setup to do mine, works great!

Quick photo upload via the site directly, and a caption to go with it. I do need to come up with a bit more user friendly site. So far it includes such gems as this:

Smile Josh!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
http://houseofbugbee.blogspot.com

edit - it's really basic now...i still am playing around and learning w/ the blogger software, but the 'blogthis' aspect of Picasa makes posting pictures really easy. i might go back and create some posts on things in the past...not exactly sure. i guess it will depend on how much time i can devote to it.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Derek start posting more photos on the board!

I got the 10d thanks man! Everything looks great!
of course! I treat my gear better than I would my kid(if I had one)

:)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BAH said:
of course! I treat my gear better than I would my kid(if I had one)

:)
Yeah packaging and everything was top notch, started playing with some shots last night...

I am going to redo my site soon so that i can start sharing some more photos as well...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Transcend said:
Seeing as I end up writing code or copy all day, i get rather tired of it at night. I am using a pretty simple gallery setup to do mine, works great!

Quick photo upload via the site directly, and a caption to go with it. I do need to come up with a bit more user friendly site. So far it includes such gems as this:

Smile Josh!
Is that pic backwards or are you in a right hand driver?

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
narlus said:
http://houseofbugbee.blogspot.com

edit - it's really basic now...i still am playing around and learning w/ the blogger software, but the 'blogthis' aspect of Picasa makes posting pictures really easy. i might go back and create some posts on things in the past...not exactly sure. i guess it will depend on how much time i can devote to it.
fun stuff. couple things I would recommend are making it so anybody can post comments and also turning on the word verification so you don't get spammed

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BAH said:
fun stuff. couple things I would recommend are making it so anybody can post comments and also turning on the word verification so you don't get spammed
i assume those are basic settings on the blog setup page? i'll take a look tonight, thanks.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Morryjg said:
Does anyone have any experience with software that would create a slideshow that I could put on a DVD or CD? I would like for it to package the slide show as a web page or as an executable.
iPhoto or iMovie. iPhoto exports slideshows to a web page or photocast, and with iMovie you can create slideshows and then burn them to a DVD that plays in your DVD player just like a real movie! Neat!